Light-O-Rama Forums

It's a repeat question, but has anybody found out....

chuckd

How fast you can realistically turn on and off multiple channels?

Yes, I understand that you can effectively turn on and off one channel down to about .02 seconds or a bit less. What I'm wondering is when does the RS485 communications get backed up? I'm fairly familiar with RS485, and it definitely has an upper limit on bandwidth that I'm worried about.

Let's say I have 1000 channels, and I want everything to do something different at .02 second intervals. Possible? Or will everything fall way behind?

The last example is not far off. I currently have 768 channels, and I like to do stuff really fast. I'm just worried I'm going to have trouble when I hook it all up (which is in about a week from now).

Thanks in advance.

Chuck

Hi

I don't know how many channels you can go up to going that fast on one network, but with S2 you can have multiple rs485 networks. You could distribute your controllers over several different networks and this would reduce the network traffic on each network. I know that there are some large commercial users that are already over 1000 channels without problems.

I didn't know about the multiple RS485 network capability. That's awesome. I'll just parallel it out if I run into trouble.

It'd be nice for the software to analyze the sequence and tell you if it won't be able to keep up. It should be easy, knowing the communications rate of the network plus the commands to be sent.

Maybe in a future release? Hint, hint!

Chuck