Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyone else trying out the new Firefly units?

tboerjan

thebaronn wrote:

rod type??

What is that, and do I have time?!!
LOL.
Seriously, what is it?

Here are some early pics of the idea.

Here is a link to the post about it.

EDIT....So there is no confusion....This was not my idea!!! Just pointing to it.

Attached files 162471=9419-FF rod tree idea.jpg

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thebaronn

• Paul Roberson

• Duke

• tboerjan

They are 1" extruded Acrylic tubes. (i joined D-light)

Cast is better for clarity.

And now Im going for it. Just purchased the tubes (pick up on tuesday)and I have an extra firefly to use and I already have my plans. Hopefully be up by next weekend. (now that I said that......)

just in case anyone is interested:

1. a 9 rod mega tree (i found 8' tubes. and only 9 because i do not care for the full circle base, mine will be an arc, you will read why)

2. that leaves 7 channels which i will use for the star which will just be cut tubes. HEHE

And yes, those are my intricate and comprehensive plans! (about as intricate as my wireless costume plans on halloween synched to the house and the music. but that worked well!!)

Oh yes it will work!

LOL

thebaronn wrote:

Yea I that is exactly what I am thinking of just didn't know what it is called. I have seen it before and that would work great. Can't wait to see it!

Yeah,

Can't wait to see what you come up with sounds promissing.

Cool video BTW........man that was alot of work:shock: SWEET.

LOL sorry I mentioned it.........lol and you thought you might be thru adding stuff....LOL

Who did you order your acrylic from ?

LOL! I have to google it again!

Some place in San jose pick up 5 8' lengths and freighted 5 8' lengthes from San Diego. $30 for 8ft. And its CAST!!!!!

thebaronn wrote:

Cast is better for clarity.

And now Im going for it. Just purchased the tubes (pick up on tuesday)and I have an extra firefly to use and I already have my plans. Hopefully be up by next weekend. (now that I said that......)

just in case anyone is interested:

1. a 9 rod mega tree (i found 8' tubes. and only 9 because i do not care for the full circle base, mine will be an arc, you will read why)

2. that leaves 7 channels which i will use for the star which will just be cut tubes. HEHE

And yes, those are my intricate and comprehensive plans! (about as intricate as my wireless costume plans on halloween synched to the house and the music. but that worked well!!)

Oh yes it will work!

LOL

Hang on...........I think in says to use ROD not tubes.........I am looking for it on the D-light forum. When/if I find it I will post it here.

Here is a quote of what I found posted by Flanigan. If there were #'s on the post I would have posted that instead.

Actually tubing will not emit a tenth of the light a solid will, mainly due to less diffraction ocurring.

Cool. For a minute there I thought you might end up with one of those "w.t.h that is not what it looked like in the pics" moments.

thebaronn wrote:

What do you know, they are national, kind of.

http://www.portplastics.com/

Looks like Dallas is the furthest East.

And $30 for 8' of CAST Acrylic is a good price, well, like 90% sure

85% lowest.

Heck yea, works for me, that is where I am.

I could make like dancing fountain look with these as well with those rods. I guess the ideas are endless.

Dan we need some of these for LOR and an easy way to program them...LoL

Yes the rods would emmit the lite better then a tube because it is solid.

thebaronn wrote:

oh im sure i will have that moment still.

Everyone used 6ft, Im gambling and using 8ft, but the guy said it is easy to cut if i have to.

I believe 8' will work fine. They were having limited success putting two 6' pieces together end to end.

Texan78 wrote:

I could make like dancing fountain look with these as well with those rods. I guess the ideas are endless.

Dan we need some of these for LOR and an easy way to program them...LoL

Yes the rods would emmit the lite better then a tube because it is solid.

Dancing fountain sound cool.

I wonder how well the light would travel around a bend in the rod?