Light-O-Rama Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tboerjan

Anyone else trying out the new Firefly units?

A 10' mega tree (sounds like an oxymoron!)

9 Strands probably good so about $1500 with shipping? OMG!!!

Think of all the other crap you could buy. (i guess I shouldnt think of it like that, I bought 5, ugh)

Hmmmmm

Duke wrote:

thebaronn wrote:
Hey Paul!

So you have any video of the "top" mounted arches? (at night)

I like that idea and it looks cleaner (no crinkling of the wire around the arch)

I may have to change real quick, thats what is awesome about this stuff, easy to cut zip ties!! Hope I dont cut wires! LOL

I have 4 of these running now. I front mounted them but with a twist.... literally.

These are longer than 10 foot. My PVC is 10 foot exactly so.......
I mounted the 1st pixel about 6" from the end and used 1 zip tie on each side of it.
I then wrapped the wire around the 1" thinwall PVC, 1 turn. Repeat this until all the pixels are on and facing the same direction. Use a zip tie on each side of the last pixel as well for a total of 4 zip ties and NO crinkly wire because it is spirally wrapped around the pole. If you want them to point up, simply rotate the entire pole and viola!. Want them to point forward, rotate the pole 90 degrees and they face out. AND you do not need to add any length to the pole because the spiral wrap shortens the spacing to about 7.2 inches from 8. :P

Cool idea. Was there any problem with the wire tightening or loosening when you made the pipe in to an arch?

thebaronn wrote:

A 10' mega tree (sounds like an oxymoron!)

9 Strands probably good so about $1500 with shipping? OMG!!!

Think of all the other crap you could buy. (i guess I shouldnt think of it like that, I bought 5, ugh)

Hmmmmm

If you went with the rod type...you would only need one FF unit, and 16 rods.

I like the idea of using just FF string to make the tree though. Imagine the "twinkle" effect you could produce.

If you went with 9 strands that would be a 432:shock: Channel mega, mid, minimega, or what ever it could be called.:P

oh and no you should not think of it like that:D If we used that approach would ANY of this get done?;)

rod type??

What is that, and do I have time?!!
LOL.
Seriously, what is it?

Well it might not be a mega tree in size at only 10' but at 432 ch it makes up for and could be classified as a mega tree in that sense...LoL

What have I started...LoL

thebaronn wrote:

rod type??

What is that, and do I have time?!!
LOL.
Seriously, what is it?

Here are some early pics of the idea.

Here is a link to the post about it.

EDIT....So there is no confusion....This was not my idea!!! Just pointing to it.

Attached files 162471=9419-FF rod tree idea.jpg

That is just that 1/2" solid plastic tubes right? That looks very good and is a great idea.

That link is not viewable unless you are a member of that forum.

They are 1" extruded Acrylic tubes. (i joined D-light)

Cast is better for clarity.

And now Im going for it. Just purchased the tubes (pick up on tuesday)and I have an extra firefly to use and I already have my plans. Hopefully be up by next weekend. (now that I said that......)

just in case anyone is interested:

1. a 9 rod mega tree (i found 8' tubes. and only 9 because i do not care for the full circle base, mine will be an arc, you will read why)

2. that leaves 7 channels which i will use for the star which will just be cut tubes. HEHE

And yes, those are my intricate and comprehensive plans! (about as intricate as my wireless costume plans on halloween synched to the house and the music. but that worked well!!)

Oh yes it will work!

LOL

i would take off work to do it, but i need to work to pay for the acrylic!!!!

LOL!

thebaronn wrote:

Yea I that is exactly what I am thinking of just didn't know what it is called. I have seen it before and that would work great. Can't wait to see it!

I wasnt implying that im smart i just joined d-light and stole their information!

LOL!

I never have an original idea. :P

Well don't consider it as stealing, just say you are borrowing the idea if it makes you feel better...LoL

Yeah,

Can't wait to see what you come up with sounds promissing.

Cool video BTW........man that was alot of work:shock: SWEET.

LOL sorry I mentioned it.........lol and you thought you might be thru adding stuff....LOL

Who did you order your acrylic from ?

LOL! I have to google it again!

Some place in San jose pick up 5 8' lengths and freighted 5 8' lengthes from San Diego. $30 for 8ft. And its CAST!!!!!

Hmmm the 8' must be a California thing......all I see on the website is 6'

thebaronn wrote:

Cast is better for clarity.

And now Im going for it. Just purchased the tubes (pick up on tuesday)and I have an extra firefly to use and I already have my plans. Hopefully be up by next weekend. (now that I said that......)

just in case anyone is interested:

1. a 9 rod mega tree (i found 8' tubes. and only 9 because i do not care for the full circle base, mine will be an arc, you will read why)

2. that leaves 7 channels which i will use for the star which will just be cut tubes. HEHE

And yes, those are my intricate and comprehensive plans! (about as intricate as my wireless costume plans on halloween synched to the house and the music. but that worked well!!)

Oh yes it will work!

LOL

Hang on...........I think in says to use ROD not tubes.........I am looking for it on the D-light forum. When/if I find it I will post it here.

Here is a quote of what I found posted by Flanigan. If there were #'s on the post I would have posted that instead.

Actually tubing will not emit a tenth of the light a solid will, mainly due to less diffraction ocurring.

OMG

I do mean RODS

Not tubes.

I just called and verified.

He said "well if it makes you feel better, we only sell rods!"

LOL!

Cool. For a minute there I thought you might end up with one of those "w.t.h that is not what it looked like in the pics" moments.

oh im sure i will have that moment still.

Everyone used 6ft, Im gambling and using 8ft, but the guy said it is easy to cut if i have to.

thebaronn wrote:

What do you know, they are national, kind of.

http://www.portplastics.com/

Looks like Dallas is the furthest East.

And $30 for 8' of CAST Acrylic is a good price, well, like 90% sure

85% lowest.

Heck yea, works for me, that is where I am.

I could make like dancing fountain look with these as well with those rods. I guess the ideas are endless.

Dan we need some of these for LOR and an easy way to program them...LoL

Yes the rods would emmit the lite better then a tube because it is solid.

thebaronn wrote:

oh im sure i will have that moment still.

Everyone used 6ft, Im gambling and using 8ft, but the guy said it is easy to cut if i have to.

I believe 8' will work fine. They were having limited success putting two 6' pieces together end to end.

Texan78 wrote:

I could make like dancing fountain look with these as well with those rods. I guess the ideas are endless.

Dan we need some of these for LOR and an easy way to program them...LoL

Yes the rods would emmit the lite better then a tube because it is solid.

Dancing fountain sound cool.

I wonder how well the light would travel around a bend in the rod?

thats why i was stoked when I saw the 8 footers!!!

And some fo the methods they explained for attaching them were scary!