Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyone else trying out the new Firefly units?

tboerjan

Those things are way sweeeet. I am glad I have not built my arches yet. I think I will hold off until next season to see how these evolve use LOR. Those will definitely make your display stand out.

How well do they look against incandescent though? I mean like mini trees and bushes on the C9s etc. Do they fit in well besides the fact of what the do and how cool they look?

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thebaronn

• Paul Roberson

• Duke

• tboerjan

Hello!

I need to pick your brain.

1. How did you attach the firefly unit? Zip ties?

2. What size pipe did you use?

3. When you attached them top mounted, was the PVC already in its arch position? Or did you zip tie it straight and the curve it? (dont want to yank anything out!!)

And any other tips for top mounting!

Thank you sir!

Eric

thebaronn wrote:

Hello!

I need to pick your brain.

1. How did you attach the firefly unit? Zip ties? Yes, put a zip tie beside every light.

2. What size pipe did you use? 1" 10' long and I added 10" to each end. 10' is not long enough for the FF string. Pic added

3. When you attached them top mounted, was the PVC already in its arch position? Or did you zip tie it straight and the curve it? (dont want to yank anything out!!) Yes, already in the arch position. I attached wire to each one to hold the arch. See pic. I also painted my pipe black after attaching the 10" extensions, and before putting it into its arch position.

And any other tips for top mounting! Measure your arch and find and mark the center. Fold the FF string in half with the 1st and 16th pixel even and put the folded end on your center mark of the pipe. Put the first zip tie there. Then start going down one side putting a zip tie by every pixel.

Thank you sir! Your welcome!

Eric

Attached files 162273=9410-HPIM4025.JPG

LOL!
I even got pictures!
I side mounted mine and did it when they were straight.
I have now realized the error of my ways!
Thank you for showing me the light!

Eric

OK..LOL...I am here to report my oversite, stupidity, or whatever you want to call it. So that others will think about it more and only have to set theirs up once:D

These things are very directional, which I knew. Although I put them up backwards!!!!

I had the controllers in the correct order, but the arches were not turned correctly. When I ran a test sequence all I could think is "that is not what it looked like in the animation view"!

I had to unhook everything and turn the arches 180. Then of course I had to unhook even more when the pwr and cat5 cables would not let the controllers just slide 8' to the right

Hello!

So one last question because I havent decided what to do. Where do you attach the controller? DO you rest it on the ground? Do you zip tie it to the underside of the PVC pipe?(<--think im going wih this one) I "started" to cut 4"X6" plywood and screw them to a stake and stake them in the ground and then screw the controller to the getup (this way everything is off the ground) then I threw a gallon ziplock bag over it so it was waterproof. My wife said it looked like S@#%! So I dont know.

LOL!

Eric

I got these at WM for 2 or 3 dollars can't remember. Its just a square container with a attached lid that snaps shut. I used a small soldering iron to melt the top rim under the lid for the wires to roll around the edge and still be under the lip of the lid.

I have thought about using a spray paint for plastic. Maybe black, or dark green. Heck I even thought about painting the dark green tying a red ribbon around them.

Their appearance at this point is not on my priority list.:( Its on my secondary list though.

Attached files 162339=9411-HPIM4027.JPG

Texan78 wrote:

This thing reminds me of the Christmas light show Christmas trees. I wonder how well these would work for a mega tree?

I think they would be very cool!!

Another idea

Over on D-lights forum there is someone who had used lucite tubes with the dome covers removed from FF and the tubes setting directly on top of the pixel.

Its a very cool idea I might try next year. I think the tubes only come in 6 or 8' lengths. They were trying to fuse tubes together, but the light would not pass thru where it was fused very well.

Here is a link to the topic and some pics.

thebaronn wrote:

Hey Paul!

So you have any video of the "top" mounted arches? (at night)

I like that idea and it looks cleaner (no crinkling of the wire around the arch)

I may have to change real quick, thats what is awesome about this stuff, easy to cut zip ties!! Hope I dont cut wires! LOL

I have 4 of these running now. I front mounted them but with a twist.... literally.

These are longer than 10 foot. My PVC is 10 foot exactly so.......
I mounted the 1st pixel about 6" from the end and used 1 zip tie on each side of it.
I then wrapped the wire around the 1" thinwall PVC, 1 turn. Repeat this until all the pixels are on and facing the same direction. Use a zip tie on each side of the last pixel as well for a total of 4 zip ties and NO crinkly wire because it is spirally wrapped around the pole. If you want them to point up, simply rotate the entire pole and viola!. Want them to point forward, rotate the pole 90 degrees and they face out. AND you do not need to add any length to the pole because the spiral wrap shortens the spacing to about 7.2 inches from 8. :D

thebaronn wrote:

LOL!
I even got pictures!

Eric

Thank you for showing me the light! (wow, took me 3 days to realize what a great pun that was! is it a pun?)

thebaronn wrote:

thebaronn wrote:
LOL!
I even got pictures!

Eric

Thank you for showing me the light! (wow, took me 3 days to realize what a great pun that was! is it a pun?)

Man.......You are quick:P I thought it was funny when you posted it. Guess I should have commented on it so it would not have taken you so long.

Anyway here is another rough video with FF.

It wouldn't be a big mega tree, just over 10', but it would definitely be a very expensive tree that is for sure. I have no doubt it would look very cool. Just waiting for someone to use them for a tree, I am sure it won't be long.

A 10' mega tree (sounds like an oxymoron!)

9 Strands probably good so about $1500 with shipping? OMG!!!

Think of all the other crap you could buy. (i guess I shouldnt think of it like that, I bought 5, ugh)

Hmmmmm

Duke wrote:

thebaronn wrote:
Hey Paul!

So you have any video of the "top" mounted arches? (at night)

I like that idea and it looks cleaner (no crinkling of the wire around the arch)

I may have to change real quick, thats what is awesome about this stuff, easy to cut zip ties!! Hope I dont cut wires! LOL

I have 4 of these running now. I front mounted them but with a twist.... literally.

These are longer than 10 foot. My PVC is 10 foot exactly so.......
I mounted the 1st pixel about 6" from the end and used 1 zip tie on each side of it.
I then wrapped the wire around the 1" thinwall PVC, 1 turn. Repeat this until all the pixels are on and facing the same direction. Use a zip tie on each side of the last pixel as well for a total of 4 zip ties and NO crinkly wire because it is spirally wrapped around the pole. If you want them to point up, simply rotate the entire pole and viola!. Want them to point forward, rotate the pole 90 degrees and they face out. AND you do not need to add any length to the pole because the spiral wrap shortens the spacing to about 7.2 inches from 8. :P

Cool idea. Was there any problem with the wire tightening or loosening when you made the pipe in to an arch?

thebaronn wrote:

A 10' mega tree (sounds like an oxymoron!)

9 Strands probably good so about $1500 with shipping? OMG!!!

Think of all the other crap you could buy. (i guess I shouldnt think of it like that, I bought 5, ugh)

Hmmmmm

If you went with the rod type...you would only need one FF unit, and 16 rods.

I like the idea of using just FF string to make the tree though. Imagine the "twinkle" effect you could produce.

If you went with 9 strands that would be a 432:shock: Channel mega, mid, minimega, or what ever it could be called.:P

oh and no you should not think of it like that:D If we used that approach would ANY of this get done?;)