Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyone else trying out the new Firefly units?

tboerjan

Dennis Cherry wrote:

The Barron:

Have you tried taking your clear tube with the FF's and insert it inside a dryer tube just to see if the diffusion works? Place the FF tube in the back inside of the tube with the FF's facing forward.

Just curious.

now i have to buy a dryer tube!!! IT NEVER ENDS!!!!

LOL!!! The metal one I have didnt do anything........;)

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thebaronn

• Paul Roberson

• Duke

• tboerjan

Holy 29 Pages Batman! That's a lot of thread.

I was wondering about these units and LOR possibly for 2009. I have to take an afternoon with a 6 pack and read this baby. Glad I saw it instead of having to search.

I am sure there is plenty o' good info here. While scanning I saw that it works with LOR, need D-Light hardware and something about a mega tree and tubes, all while just trying to get to the end of this baby.

More questions to come.

Dan, possibly is LOR thinking about any equivalent product?

thebaronn wrote:

i took your advice and covered it with paper.

Will try something more substantial after vacation

Cool. Now all you need is something like paper that is water proof. I wonder if something like frosted glass paint would work on your clear pipe and even if it would stick to it?

Question for those that had the FF flickering problem.....

I have not been able to reproduce any flickering in FF in any of my testing since I received my v3 pixel string.:? Rain or shine they have ran perfectly.:?

If you did experience FF flickering did you or did you not also have CDI 08 prebuy (problematic) LEDs running also?

Just a thought.

Paul Roberson wrote:

I have not been able to reproduce any flickering in FF in any of my testing since I received my v3 pixel string.:? Rain or shine they have ran perfectly.:?

If you did experience FF flickering did you or did you not also have CDI 08 prebuy (problematic) LEDs running also?

Just a thought.

Paul,

I don't have the V3 string, but my V1 & V2 fickered as soon as I hooked them up. With the V1, they were hooked up for testing in the house as soon as I received them. Nothing other than the FF was hooked to the PC. The flickered right away. V2 was also connected as soon as they were received, this time in the LOR network & display. Again, they flickered right away. I do not think moisture was a factor for me, unless the boxes got wet in shipment, but no appearance of such on the packaging. I might add, though, that I have hooked both V1 & V2 up after taking down the display and NEITHER pixel string flickers. I am at a loss as to what is going on.

Denny wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:

Just a thought.

Paul,

I don't have the V3 string, but my V1 & V2 fickered as soon as I hooked them up. With the V1, they were hooked up for testing in the house as soon as I received them. Nothing other than the FF was hooked to the PC. The flickered right away. V2 was also connected as soon as they were received, this time in the LOR network & display. Again, they flickered right away. I do not think moisture was a factor for me, unless the boxes got wet in shipment, but no appearance of such on the packaging. I might add, though, that I have hooked both V1 & V2 up after taking down the display and NEITHER pixel string flickers. I am at a loss as to what is going on.

Thanks Denny,

Some of the problems I think we have had were firmware right off the bat. There were also some cold solder joints identified.

I have v1, v2, and v3 FF strings running every night just like my show did. They have been running flawlessly for about 3 weeks now.

I am also at a loss and not sure what to try next. I really want to find this problem and get a fix for it before next season. I really do not want to fight it again during the lighting season.:?

I was so positive I had a moisture problem with FF however now not so sure.:?

Paul Roberson wrote:

thebaronn wrote:

Cool. Now all you need is something like paper that is water proof. I wonder if something like frosted glass paint would work on your clear pipe and even if it would stick to it?

the word "frosted" gave me an idea.

What about the spray on snow? Talk about christmasy!

Where can I buy it this time of year?

thebaronn wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:
thebaronn wrote:

Good idea. Try here. :):D

Might have to respray it after every rain though.

Paul Roberson wrote:

thebaronn wrote:
Paul Roberson wrote:
thebaronn wrote:

arent you funny......................

did you watch my rudolph sequence:

thebaronn wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:
thebaronn wrote:
Paul Roberson wrote:
thebaronn wrote:

arent you funny......................

did you watch my rudolph sequence:

Thank you. It did help you did it not???:D

Yes I have, howeve not sure I want to click on that link:shock:

edit...OK I clicked on it. I still think it is funny. If I were to see that in someones display. I would say w.t.h. then lmao.

i have been hit with that google thing twice.

But when I ask for a vendor, its not because im lazy, more so I giving action to a vendor that you have used and like. word of mouth, thats how I found CDI. oops....bad example, LOL!! I kill myself!

thebaronn wrote:

i have been hit with that google thing twice.

But when I ask for a vendor, its not because im lazy, more so I giving action to a vendor that you have used and like. word of mouth, thats how I found CDI. oops....bad example, LOL!! I kill myself!

Now that is funny!!!

Gotcha though. That makes sense.

Man, it's the Paul and Baronn Show. You guys are relentless, but there has been some good info on this thread. Tonight I ordered one FF and a USB to 245. I have one of those around here somewhere, but who knows where. I think I got a DC controller board around here too, from when I was playing with MR16's, but that is it from D-Light.

Question, the D-light site really lacks. Is there any soft manuals for these things? Ones I can get my hands on before the unit arrives.

Next. What is not completely clear (so far in the thread, I am only on page 10), is what the heck drives these things? What do they plug into? DMX cables off my iDMX? AC plugs into a LOR controller? By themselves? Am I going to have to have some D-light controller? I saw a clear box in a picture, but could not tell what that was. I got all kinds of ideas for these things, but at $160 a pop, that may limit the way I use them.

zman wrote:

Man, it's the Paul and Baronn Show. You guys are relentless, but there has been some good info on this thread. Tonight I ordered one FF and a USB to 245. I have one of those around here somewhere, but who knows where. I think I got a DC controller board around here too, from when I was playing with MR16's, but that is it from D-Light.

Question, the D-light site really lacks. Is there any soft manuals for these things? Ones I can get my hands on before the unit arrives.

Next. What is not completely clear (so far in the thread, I am only on page 10), is what the heck drives these things? What do they plug into? DMX cables off my iDMX? AC plugs into a LOR controller? By themselves? Am I going to have to have some D-light controller? I saw a clear box in a picture, but could not tell what that was. I got all kinds of ideas for these things, but at $160 a pop, that may limit the way I use them.

LOL!!!

What the heck is a USB to 245?

Lets see. No there is no manual that I know of unless you count this thread.:)

The controllers plug into constant (not controlled) power. They hook up in the 485 network with cat5 cables.

When setting these controllers up in the channel property grid. You will set them up as 3 "consecutive" LOR 16 channel controllers. When you set the FF unit ID with D-lights hardware utility (which is a free download you will also need the firmware updater) you will use for example "0A" and the unit will take "0A, 0B, 0C". 0A would be 16 channels of Red, 0B will be 16 channels of Green, and 0C will be 16 channels of Blue.

Here are a couple pix of the controllers.

FFcontroller1.jpg

The green light is the pwr indicator. The red light is network light, blinking is not on network. Steady red is connected to the network. The two cat5 connections. They both operate as in or out connections. The white wire with the black connector is the connection to the pixel string. The green block is future use for triggers.

FFconnection.jpg

Close up of the pixel string connector although not the clearest picture.:D

FFcont2.jpg

They use a 12v power supply and the controller and pwr supply will require some weather proofing.

Hope this helps. Clear up some muddy water.:D

ROTFLMFAO!!!!

That is the best yet!
And Paul is right, this is as close to a manual as you get. D-light better watch out, if LOR comes out with something like this, it's goodbye d-light

How is that for response time!!!
Paul beat me but I have a handycap.
I'm using a phone and it is slow!!
More bars more places my a$$!!!
And I'm in line for space mountain, Woohoo!!!!!