Jump to content
Light-O-Rama Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tboerjan

Anyone else trying out the new Firefly units?

Recommended Posts

If you just want random twinkling and multiple colors; I have been experimenting with my fades that I use in mini-trees and leaping arches, and then offsetting them by a few tenths of a second as I cut and paste them into the FF channels. So far I've been getting all different shades of colors and randomness; still kinda in sync with my other stuff. One could make one color (16 ch) in sync and then go ahead and behind of that group .2 to .3 seconds which I think would be "closer to your other lights" and still give you a variety of colors. Which is a "nice effect" and quickly done; especially considering individual programming 48 channels/controller... if you want/need more control, it will take considerably more energy times ones songs.

I'm hoping someone comes out with something soon to speed up the process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

tboerjan wrote:

If you just want random twinkling and multiple colors; I have been experimenting with my fades that I use in mini-trees and leaping arches, and then offsetting them by a few tenths of a second as I cut and paste them into the FF channels. So far I've been getting all different shades of colors and randomness; still kinda in sync with my other stuff. One could make one color (16 ch) in sync and then go ahead and behind of that group .2 to .3 seconds which I think would be "closer to your other lights" and still give you a variety of colors. Which is a "nice effect" and quickly done; especially considering individual programming 48 channels/controller... if you want/need more control, it will take considerably more energy times ones songs.

I'm hoping someone comes out with something soon to speed up the process.

I think we all are hoping this will happen soon;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So! I talked a new friend into purchasing a Firefly unit last week and he received the unit and was very excited. He sends me a PM that pixels 9-16 all stick with his sequence so he emailed it to me. and OMG!!!!! Here is a screen shot, it is a simple sequence for 15 sec that goes back and forth, it is very slow. I tried and jeez.....

Pixel 9-16 stay on after they are turned on.

I changed them to fades and it worts just fine, but I thought that the sticking pixel was only an issue for fast ramps, but this is slower than molasses!!!!


Attached files 174558=9985-Capture.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dman776 wrote:

Go to network preferences and turn off compatibility mode.


You are a genius! I have never messed with the preferences!

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dman776 wrote:

Go to network preferences and turn off compatibility mode.


just got confirmation of your secret identity! I know who you are!!

(thats right, you told me)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's no secret. I am dman776 pretty much everywhere. I just don't normally post here out of "competitive respect".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dman776 wrote:

It's no secret. I am dman776 pretty much everywhere. I just don't normally post here out of "competitive respect".



I think you get a pass in this thread!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dman776 wrote:

Just trying to help. :-)


Well it helped me very much, maybe others just knew about that sort of thing, but I have no clue there was even a "network preferences"

Learn something new everyday!

Thank you again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thebaronn wrote:

dman776 wrote:
Go to network preferences and turn off compatibility mode.


You are a genius! I have never messed with the preferences!

Thank you


I assume you mean to go to

Edit->Preferences->Network Preferences then ensure that the compatibility option is unchecked, correct?

I have that unchecked with a v3 FF string. I have found that any pattern I have in a .las file with a loop gets messed up. The first time it goes through the loop ok but on each subsequent loops, the string seems to think it continues on past the loop section...but the loop portion continues to play. Ugh. I've tried it with different network speeds set as well.

rns

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

rstephenrrtx wrote:

thebaronn wrote:
dman776 wrote:
Go to network preferences and turn off compatibility mode.


You are a genius! I have never messed with the preferences!

Thank you


I assume you mean to go to

Edit->Preferences->Network Preferences then ensure that the compatibility option is unchecked, correct?

I have that unchecked with a v3 FF string. I have found that any pattern I have in a .las file with a loop gets messed up. The first time it goes through the loop ok but on each subsequent loops, the string seems to think it continues on past the loop section...but the loop portion continues to play. Ugh. I've tried it with different network speeds set as well.

rns

Could you post the sequence? Others could run it and see if we get the same result!

Eric

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you only "Play the selection" and select the area of the loop, all is well. If you "Play the full sequence" I see the problem on the 2nd loop.

The configuration is for unit 6, 7, 8

The sequence is here:


Attached files FireflyWindow.las

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok you will have to bear with me (just got off a triple) so I downloaded the file and ran it. Now I have some questions.

You have 2 tracks, correct?

Now I do not use loops so I really have no clue but here is what I see.

On track 1 you have a 10 sec loop, but then after the loop there is more sequencing?

And then on track 2:White a loop does not show up (Is that correct?) and when I click play here is what I see:

The two track run simultaneously for the first 10 seconds. At 10 sec, track 1 jumps back to the beginning while track 2 just keeps chugging along. (so when track 2 is at 15 sec, track one is back on 5 sec because of the 10 sec loop) but then the player never loops track one again??? It only loops once and then no more? So then track 2 plays out until the 1:00 mark and is done, and then track 1 follows up and ends 10 sec later?

Is this what you are getting?

If so, then here is the thing. If you click on the loop and click on loop info, the loop count is only 1. So it is only going to repeat the loop once, that is it. And on the 2nd track loops are turned off. If you turn them on, no looping information is there for the 2nd track. It looks like the problem could be in the way the sequence is set up.

Hope this helps.

Eric

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thebaronn wrote:

Ok you will have to bear with me (just got off a triple) so I downloaded the file and ran it. Now I have some questions.

You have 2 tracks, correct?

Now I do not use loops so I really have no clue but here is what I see.

On track 1 you have a 10 sec loop, but then after the loop there is more sequencing?

And then on track 2:White a loop does not show up (Is that correct?) and when I click play here is what I see:

The two track run simultaneously for the first 10 seconds. At 10 sec, track 1 jumps back to the beginning while track 2 just keeps chugging along. (so when track 2 is at 15 sec, track one is back on 5 sec because of the 10 sec loop) but then the player never loops track one again??? It only loops once and then no more? So then track 2 plays out until the 1:00 mark and is done, and then track 1 follows up and ends 10 sec later?

Is this what you are getting?

If so, then here is the thing. If you click on the loop and click on loop info, the loop count is only 1. So it is only going to repeat the loop once, that is it. And on the 2nd track loops are turned off. If you turn them on, no looping information is there for the 2nd track. It looks like the problem could be in the way the sequence is set up.

Hope this helps.

Eric


Although I'm at work and can't see the sequence...what you are saying seems correct.

Yes, I have 2 tracks. I use track 2 as my "white" view of Firefly. This is a duplicate of track 1 but I have each pixel per unit next to each other. (U1.1, U2.1, U3.1, U1.2, U2.2, etc...) It is a faster way to sequence the color "white" or "all on" for me. You mileage may vary. :D

I believe you have found my problem in that I assumed that a loop in track 1 (the main track) would repeat the same time frame in track 2 (regardless of the individual timings). What you describe does sound exactly like what I'm seeing - good eye!

I suppose now I need to go and duplicate my loops on track 2. Not sure if this is a "feature" or a bug. Either way, I've dealt with worse issues with LOR software. This should set me straight for Memorial day. Thanks a heap!

rns

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

rstephenrrtx wrote:

thebaronn wrote:
Ok you will have to bear with me (just got off a triple) so I downloaded the file and ran it. Now I have some questions.

You have 2 tracks, correct?

Now I do not use loops so I really have no clue but here is what I see.

On track 1 you have a 10 sec loop, but then after the loop there is more sequencing?

And then on track 2:White a loop does not show up (Is that correct?) and when I click play here is what I see:

The two track run simultaneously for the first 10 seconds. At 10 sec, track 1 jumps back to the beginning while track 2 just keeps chugging along. (so when track 2 is at 15 sec, track one is back on 5 sec because of the 10 sec loop) but then the player never loops track one again??? It only loops once and then no more? So then track 2 plays out until the 1:00 mark and is done, and then track 1 follows up and ends 10 sec later?

Is this what you are getting?

If so, then here is the thing. If you click on the loop and click on loop info, the loop count is only 1. So it is only going to repeat the loop once, that is it. And on the 2nd track loops are turned off. If you turn them on, no looping information is there for the 2nd track. It looks like the problem could be in the way the sequence is set up.

Hope this helps.

Eric


Although I'm at work and can't see the sequence...what you are saying seems correct.

Yes, I have 2 tracks. I use track 2 as my "white" view of Firefly. This is a duplicate of track 1 but I have each pixel per unit next to each other. (U1.1, U2.1, U3.1, U1.2, U2.2, etc...) It is a faster way to sequence the color "white" or "all on" for me. You mileage may vary. :D

I believe you have found my problem in that I assumed that a loop in track 1 (the main track) would repeat the same time frame in track 2 (regardless of the individual timings). What you describe does sound exactly like what I'm seeing - good eye!

I suppose now I need to go and duplicate my loops on track 2. Not sure if this is a "feature" or a bug. Either way, I've dealt with worse issues with LOR software. This should set me straight for Memorial day. Thanks a heap!

rns



Sorry, if I came across as "questioning" your method. I was just being very methodical. Because Since FF take up so many channels it is hard to "see" the everything. I have have done things where I inserted a track but forgot to take it out later (when I didnt like the sequence) and I forgot all about it (because I cannot see it anymore when working with one 48 channels chuck for one firefly) And then spent hours looking at the squence trying to figure out where I am wong only to accidentally click and have the new track come up and say "oh, guess I should have deleted this" and violla! It works and hours of troubleshooting for a problem in a sequence that didnt exist, LOL!

I do the same, I have a track for all the firefly grouped in the reds, green, and blues and then another track where the red green blue of each pixel is grouped together.

Goodluck with your sequencing!

Eric

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thebaronn wrote:

rstephenrrtx wrote:

Sorry, if I came across as "questioning" your method. I was just being very methodical. Because Since FF take up so many channels it is hard to "see" the everything. I have have done things where I inserted a track but forgot to take it out later (when I didnt like the sequence) and I forgot all about it (because I cannot see it anymore when working with one 48 channels chuck for one firefly) And then spent hours looking at the squence trying to figure out where I am wong only to accidentally click and have the new track come up and say "oh, guess I should have deleted this" and violla! It works and hours of troubleshooting for a problem in a sequence that didnt exist, LOL!

I do the same, I have a track for all the firefly grouped in the reds, green, and blues and then another track where the red green blue of each pixel is grouped together.

Goodluck with your sequencing!

Eric


Nope, not questioning my methods...me explaining to (myself and) others what I did.

Since loops aren't used in musical sequences...I haven't had the need until Easter/now for them. It does explain why my Easter rabbit had "issues" last month. :D

It also gets me ready for using FF at a convention in July. :D

rns

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I finally got around to setting up my new FireFly string and playing with it last night!

These things are pretty cool I must admit. However I did run into a problem with it when I installed the D-Light hardware utility to set it up, it screwed up my comm setup for LOR's USB adapter.

That was fun to figure out - NOT. Just an FYI for anyone who is going to try out one of these. Don't use The D-Light hardware utility! You will still need the Firmware updater though.

Now a question for all you "veterans" who are using these strings.

Does anyone have a "cheat sheet" or listing for the pixels to allow one to somewhat quickly determine which pixels to turn on for various colors when sequencing these? There has to be something out there that helps do this quickly I'm sure.

Other than that I am having a lot of fun watching the lights go around me here as I figure out some of the basic setup and running of the string. I can't wait to see how this is going to look as a Martin star on my mega tree this year!

Thanks for all the info in this thread and the hard work that you all have endured with getting these things going. 48 channels of sequencing to get one string is certainly a daunting task.

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

beeiilll wrote:

Well I finally got around to setting up my new FireFly string and playing with it last night!

These things are pretty cool I must admit. However I did run into a problem with it when I installed the D-Light hardware utility to set it up, it screwed up my comm setup for LOR's USB adapter.

That was fun to figure out - NOT. Just an FYI for anyone who is going to try out one of these. Don't use The D-Light hardware utility! You will still need the Firmware updater though.

Now a question for all you "veterans" who are using these strings.

Does anyone have a "cheat sheet" or listing for the pixels to allow one to somewhat quickly determine which pixels to turn on for various colors when sequencing these? There has to be something out there that helps do this quickly I'm sure.

Other than that I am having a lot of fun watching the lights go around me here as I figure out some of the basic setup and running of the string. I can't wait to see how this is going to look as a Martin star on my mega tree this year!

Thanks for all the info in this thread and the hard work that you all have endured with getting these things going. 48 channels of sequencing to get one string is certainly a daunting task.

Bill




I use this as a cheat sheet for color picking for now. I think there are a couple sequencing programs that actaully have a color picker in the program already. I am sure S2 will have one soon.....

BTW. You have to have the D-Light HWU to be able to set the controller #.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Paul

I guess I will just have to keep playing with it and figure things out.

Yes I forgot about having to set the unit ID number through the hardware utility. So how did you keep the D-light utility from messing with your LOR comm setup?

I ended up doing a restore on my system (Windows XP Pro) and then reinstalling the LOR USB drivers for the RS485 adapter to get things working again. I really hate to reinstall the D-light hardware utility again if it is going to mess with things. I've got enough to figure out without having to play with the comm assignments all the time as well. :?

I just set the FireFly up as controller 20, 21, and 22 and left it that way. I hopefully won't have to play with that for awhile. Although I can already see a couple of more FireFly units in the future.

Ahhh, the fun just never ends!!!! :(

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't remember having any comm problems between LOR and D-Light. If you have access to another computer you could put the D-Light HWU, and firmware updater on that computer just to set controller ID#s and update firmware. When/if you update the firmware it will reset the controller ID#s to the orginal #s.

Did you also get the D-Light USB to 485 adapter? You have to have it also to do a firmware update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could someone please recap what is needed to make the firefly compatible with LOR? It looks like some are able to change the ID without the use of a D-light usb to 485 adapter. Can this be done using the LOR 485 adapter? Must the firmware be changed (updated?) from the Legacy mode that comes pre-installed in order to control it with LOR?. I just recieved two of the fireflies and want to try some basic programing. I am having no luck trying to locate or change ID's using the LOR adapter. I did not purchase the D-light adapter.

Steve

Paul Roberson wrote:

I can't remember having any comm problems between LOR and D-Light. If you have access to another computer you could put the D-Light HWU, and firmware updater on that computer just to set controller ID#s and update firmware. When/if you update the firmware it will reset the controller ID#s to the orginal #s.

Did you also get the D-Light USB to 485 adapter? You have to have it also to do a firmware update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did not purchase the d-light adapter (only needed for firmware updates)
I had to download the d-light hardware utility though.
Connect 1firefly to the network, use the utility to set the address.
If you choose 3, it will set it on 3,4,5.
If you use 21, it will set it on 21, 22, 23

I have never had the fireflies respond to the LOR hardware utility.
But they sequence just fine.

Good luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...