Light-O-Rama Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tboerjan

Anyone else trying out the new Firefly units?

Paul Roberson wrote:

Just strolled over to the D-light forums and found this post by Daryl.......:shock:

Thought some might like to know.

We have been very successful in our testing of the "V3" Firefly pixel strings! We have not seen any of the flickering issues with these strings.

Not all of the non-V3 strings were defective so, if you have non-V3 strings (V3 strings can be identified by the yellow ziptie near the controller connector) that are flickering,

• Please send an email to us at info@d-light.us
  • Place "V3 Replacement" in the subject line of the email
  • Specify how many defective strings that you own.
  • Provide your order number(s) that include your Firefly units.
  • Provide your shipping address.

order number??? Like I keep track of anything like that! I just got some lights last week that I forgot i ordered!!! Daryl is pretty cool though, he sent me 2 replacement strings already so my easter display could be in tip top shape!

Booyah!

I'm adding Firefly to my display this year, seeing as d-Light thought it was a good idea to fix the bugs. However, most of the arches I have seen have a pretty high peak. What is the width and the height of most of your arches?

I am thinking I may have to modify mine, because I don't want them that high.

Eric, will you have the mega arch in your Easter display? Did you get my email asking you questions about it? I want to come by and get some tips.

yes, just been busy, in fact i am sequencing at work as we speak. I hope to have it running tomorrow night ( only 25% chance of that) depends on how I feel after working a triple!

The Easter display went online at 815pm this evening! Took me 7hrs and 15 minutes to complete two new D-light arches an all the other stuff, start to finish!(I did the vertical poles last week, thank you Duke)

Some how I planned on 16 channels and 2 firefly but ended up with 51 channel and 2 firefly (yeah the extra 3 channels was great......)

And I can already tell the difference with these new fireflys!!!!!! I do a song that is 162BPM and have a ton of fast FF movements and no sticking pixels! Yes, when I programmed them I went for broke, they were not the focal point of the display just a fantastic addition and if they couldnt handle it then I would have yanked them!

Christmas is going to be great!

Eric

Attached files 173913=9949-easter.JPG

And now I am a wholeheartedly behind the idea of a color picker for these fireflys!!! Christmas is pretty easy, White, Red, Green.

Easter??? All these pastels and crap!! Yellow, aquamarine, purple, orange......

sheesh!!

Cool, glad to hear you got your display up and running. Looks good!!!

Its also good to hear that your new pixel strings are running well.

Be sure and post when you get video up.:D

The v3 string I have has never missed a beat, that I noticed.

I'm still waiting for my replacement pixels. Has anyone (other than the beta testers) received their version 3 strings yet?

I am not a beta tester and I received 2 sets. I begged though, I needed them for Easter!

FireFly owners:

With everything you know about the FireFly's, would you still buy one today?

Sounds like they have been alot of trouble.

yes. more than you know.........big surprise coming!

OMG!!!

Sad to say I have a gift. I have some sticking pixels.

It is tragic.

No flickering though so that is still a big plus.

thebaronn wrote:

OMG!!!

Sad to say I have a gift. I have some sticking pixels.

It is tragic.

No flickering though so that is still a big plus.

WTF!!!!

On the others first there was sticking then later flickering.........

Nah! I'm positive it is just a sticking issue.

My guess is that 162BPM subdivided into 15 equal parts ramping back and forth are too much for them to handle!

LOL! Easily fixed with a Fade into every X.9 pixel! (well so far)

It has been raining like crazy here (now when I say that, I mean crazy for California, not crazy for all you midwestern states where the rain leaves bruising!) And I have yet to come home at 5am and see the Firefly going ccccrrrrrrrraaaaazzzzyyyy!!!!!

Hello all!!!!

We did a small display this year. All the songs we did were requests. So here you go, hope you enjoy them!

The Show Intro (featuring my new 5 year old emcee, if you watch it, please leave a positive comment on youtube so I can show it to him):

Here comes Peter Cotton Tail:

Jai Ho:

Beethoven Virus:

He's A Pirate:

Let me know what you think!

Eric

Great display set up Eric!! Certainly the nicest Easter display I have seen.

It's nice to see the Firefly strings works as they should too. I can order mine now....HAHA

How many channels are on your poles? I was thinking of adding something like that this year, but I didn't know how many channels to use.

GRRRRR!!!

I was brought to my attention that there is a stinking pixel (#8 i think) on the lft FF unit at 3:03 in the song Beethoven Virus.

Very Disheartening!

I have a question.

The "twinkle" effect......is it random for each channel or is it a set command based on a 16 channel controller? (i have to go with the latter)

Cause I have always wanted the firefly to twinkle in different colors (random colors) instead of only one color.

Well with all the discussions (both good and bad) about the FireFly units, I just placed an order for my first one.

I am planning on using it on a Martin Star for my mega tree this year if all goes well. I can't wait to get it now and see how these things work with LOR and to play with it.

Oh boy, new toy - new toy !!!!!

By the way Barron, your display is awesome to say the least. You really have the energy flowing to get all that accomplished for the Easter one as well as the Christmas that you did.

Kudos on a job "Well done".

Bill

beeiilll wrote:

Well with all the discussions (both good and bad) about the FireFly units, I just placed an order for my first one.

I am planning on using it on a Martin Star for my mega tree this year if all goes well. I can't wait to get it now and see how these things work with LOR and to play with it.

Oh boy, new toy - new toy !!!!!

By the way Barron, your display is awesome to say the least. You really have the energy flowing to get all that accomplished for the Easter one as well as the Christmas that you did.

Kudos on a job "Well done".

Bill

Thank you very much for your kind words!

Congrats on your first firefly, and welcome to the madness!!!

thebaronn wrote:

I have a question.

The "twinkle" effect......is it random for each channel or is it a set command based on a 16 channel controller? (i have to go with the latter)

Cause I have always wanted the firefly to twinkle in different colors (random colors) instead of only one color.

I would think a "twinkle" effect across the 48 channels of FF would get the random colors you are looking for.

Not sure if I understand the question about for each channel or 16 channel controller. I would guess that its random for each channel. I just tried a twinkle on channel 1 of controller 1 and channel 1 of controller 3 and they did not do the exact same.

So yeah I think a twinkle effect across the 48 channels of FF would get random colors.

Ah! But when I twinkle the whole 48 channels on a FF unit, it only twinkles in white!!! That is what leads me to belive it is a set twinkle pattern for each 16 channel controller. So you have 5 controllers all twinkling on all channels. My guess is that eventhough it is a twinkle effect. Channel 1.3, 2.3, 3.3, 4.3, and 5.3 will all come on at the same time. But if you say you tried it and it doesn't, then why do I NOT get the random colors I would like? Yet another flaw? I can't be the only one with this problem.

Does anyone else twinkle? If you still have your fireflys out, twinkle all 48 channels and let me know what you see. I only get a twinkle in white.

Im going to PM Dan after I wake up and am more coherent.

Yeah, my 4 FF units are on the back deck I will try and twinkle them tonight.

Looking at the twinkle effect in the visual of the channels mentioned above they do not mimic each other.

I will post tonight what I find out with my FF twinkle.