Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyone else trying out the new Firefly units?

tboerjan

So now for something completely different:

SO!!!!!!

I have a question, if I use the d-light hardware utility (values for each color range from 0-255) and i want orange which is a value of R255G050B000 would i be correct in using this simple formula to get the intensity?

(Value/255)X100= LOR Intensity?

So for orange it would be R100% G50%(rounded up to whole percentage) and B0%??

Hope so cause i went through and gathered some info and made a spread sheet of intensities for colors if anyone is interested in it? (well at least the colors in that song, lol)

Well thats what I did for my colors video. any thoughts?

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thebaronn

• Paul Roberson

• Duke

• tboerjan

Duke wrote:

im done trying until next year.

WAIT! Don't give up yet!

Try wrapping wax paper, or tissue paper, or even toilet paper around one of the rods and see if it has any effect. More so at the very top or furthest away from the pixel and see if it shows better or brighter.

OH yeah! cobergas gets a couple trees too! :shock:

Ok Ok im going to polish the ends with a propane torch and my wife went to the dollar tree this morning and purchase 10 1" circular mirrors for me!!!

I only had one the other night and when I place it on the top, it actually makes a slight difference. Noticable up close at least.

Im gonna try again this weekend!

And did you see the thread on the arch that wasnt wrapped in lights??

thebaronn wrote:

SO!!!!!!

I have a question, if I use the d-light hardware utility (values for each color range from 0-255) and i want orange which is a value of R255G050B000 would i be correct in using this simple formula to get the intensity?

Hope so cause i went through and gathered some info and made a spread sheet of intensities for colors if anyone is interested in it? (well at least the colors in that song, lol)

if you use 2.1.x and select the dmx ? under the edit > preferences drop down you can program using all 256 intensities

thebaronn wrote:

And did you see the thread on the arch that wasnt wrapped in lights??

Yes I did. Thank you. I have some other ideas as well and I'm thinking of making arches in a sectional or modular manner so that if one section burns out it will be easy to swap it out with a spare and do it all in under a minute. We can get really bitter cold temps here and I HATE being out there fixin' stuff. I'll keep yall posted on the developments.

Dr. Jones wrote:

thebaronn wrote:

SO!!!!!!

if you use 2.1.x and select the dmx ? under the edit > preferences drop down you can program using all 256 intensities

I tried that but it seemed more of a PITA than to just insert 10 custom intensities that I would use over and over thoughout the whole song.

I know that with the rounding it wont be as perfect, but I cant really tell the difference between the settings for a lot of inbetween colors anyway.

Just wanted to make sure that it was a reasonable assumption. At first I was using the d-light dealio to decide intensities (0-240) since the LOR hardware program will not recognize my fireflys. LOL!! What a genius I am! Then I found every color imaginable already done for me on the internet! LOL!! Talk about wasted effort.

Not to mention the DMX is scary!!!!

I had a bunch of DMX stuff ready for halloween and.........I just had no clue and no time so I operated the stuff manually, sigh.

Okay, so my lights are still up. Not just a few of them, but ALL of them. Yesterday I am in my recliner with the front door open and someone drives by and honks and then yells, "HO HO HO! ITS OVER!!!" LOL!!!

So I go outside at midnight last night to film (thats why the lights are not down, i was going to buy a new camera just to film, but I figured I will just wait, oh, and the fact that I am very lazy). So I set everything up and it looks ok. Then I notice that in the Cupid blowmold the light is out. I turn on my garage light and it shorts out, I try a new bulb and nothing. So Im in my messy garage with a crappy flashlight looking for a C7 bulb. I finally find one and then go on the roof. I replace it....nothing...i swap it with another reindeer and it turnout, its just not getting power....sweet...all that for nothing. I get off the roof and simply plug in the socket to the LOR controller (im a genius, I know) and im ready.

Everything is set and the show is running. I walk over and hit the switch for all the fireflys and the mega arch.

Now I live on a street where maybe at the height of the day I get 1 car per 1/2 hour. The first song comes on and a car parck in front of my camera to watch, so Linus and Lucy FAIL!!! Rudolph comes on and a new car parks and watches, so another FAIL!! My other Rudolph song comes on and it looks good, PASS!! Then the Torchwood theme comes on and PASS!! Then I get to the meat and potatoes, WIW comes on and the last Firefly freaks out and starts flickering. By the end og the song it is just constatly on, FAIL!!!!! And i gave up!

So 2 songs down and like 10 to go of something like that. Sweet, try again tonight.

And in case you want a laugh, watch this rudolph video i posted last night:

And if you are a doctor who fan or torchwood fan, here you go:

You can see some oddities on the fireflys starting up in torchwood but you cant tell unless you know how firefly acts, LOL! Perfect

AND, you answered your own question Paul!!!!! (just kidding, it's on its way)

The poll on d-light forum has been restated as.....

Once you receive your new pixel string replacement...
If you are adventurous enough to re-waterproof your existing strings/pixels...
AND
you had the ability to add "slave strings"...

You you want to keep your existing strings (in addition to your new strings) instead of returning them to us?

seriously, I have some great luck. I'm outside in my wife's car filming. 1st song is white Xmas......only 3 cars stopped!!! Grrrrrrr!!

Im done. There is a car in every video and now the FF are freaking out, im done. No close ups this year, just a wide shot and that is all. Seriouslp, D-Light better fix this crap. I got 45 minutes of video out of it before that started doing their own thing.

The best part, I went inside and edited the show (took out the songs that went well) and restarted it. I tried to be sly and sneak around the tree so the camer would pick me up, but of course my shoe snagged and extension cord and I tripped and of course it ripped the plug off a string of LED lights! SWEET!!!!

I am definitly NOT doing Valentines this year, worst part is, FF would be perfect, but I cannot rely on the POS!

So apparently this has become my forum!!!

So here it is, my videos with 4 firefly units, and one barely seen firefly acrylic rod tree. Make sure you check out the "real" rudolph song, I did that "pop up" video thing when a firefly unit went crazy!

True Believer:

Colors! (the real one):

I Like to Move It (from Madagascar):

He's A Pirate (from POTC: Dead Man's Chest):

Carol of the Bells (Techno):

Rudolph Mix (rickroll):

The Torchwood Theme:

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer Mix:

I also have Christmas Eve Sarajevo, Wizards in Winter and A Mad Russian's Christmas, and Linus and Lucy without sound, but they are not that exciting for some reason.

Sweet!! I like the "pop up video" that was cool. :)

I got my new FF pixle string today. Guess I will put it on a arch and put it on the back deck to run its own show for a few weeks.

I have two FF strings built into arches with minilight wraps over the top of them. I had issues with one string being the cold solder joints. Total repair time was about 2 minutes. Remove silicone protectant, resolder, re-seal with new silicone.

I plan to buy two more and build more arches for next year. I had waaaay too many comliments and people just amazed by how they performed to not use more of them.

GaryMartin wrote:

I have two FF strings built into arches with minilight wraps over the top of them. I had issues with one string being the cold solder joints. Total repair time was about 2 minutes. Remove silicone protectant, resolder, re-seal with new silicone.

I plan to buy two more and build more arches for next year. I had waaaay too many comliments and people just amazed by how they performed to not use more of them.

What type of silicone did you use to reseal them?

"Lexel" brand. Stays somewhat flexible, long life.

Paul Roberson wrote:

GaryMartin wrote:

What type of silicone did you use to reseal them?

Paul Roberson wrote:

AND

You you want to keep your existing strings (in addition to your new strings) instead of returning them to us?

So is everybody who ordered FireFly strings going to get a replacement string(s)?

lonewolvie wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:

AND

So is everybody who ordered FireFly strings going to get a replacement string(s)?

I believe so, I emailed D-Light 3 hours ago and already had a response. They are doing "testing" and will ship new ones when they are satisfied. Which I find odd because you can go and purchase them now......Not that I'm sick or anything like that...........I suggest you send an email to info@d-light.us and let them know.

Eric

thebaronn wrote:

Galaxia is very cool looking to be sure, but it *is* a canned system. IE, you feed it videos and have a single control channel to tell it when to play them back. You don't get much control for that thousand dollar system IMHO. At the very least they should have DMX control to let you pick *which* video to fire and when. $800 controller, $200 color strings, man. I spend a lot of money on my display now, that could get out of hand real quick. ;)