Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyone else trying out the new Firefly units?

tboerjan

thebaronn wrote:

It is not a wrapped arch, they are just zip tied to the side of the arch facing the street.

Woah! Not wrapped? Could you give us some daytime close ups of how you did that? I have ideas for some arches over our driveway and that would be GREAT if we don't have to wrap 'em.

Pictures PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thebaronn

• Paul Roberson

• Duke

• tboerjan

Hmmm.

These FF have got me thinking and looking for better product, or similar. I found this

http://www.hiline-lighting.com/pd-waterproof-rgb-led-strip-wholesale.cfm

And it hooks up to a DMX controller. Its water proof and cutable like LED ropelight!!!

I may fire off and get a spool and hook it up to LOR just to see whats up!!!

Do me a favor and look at it to make sure there isnt anything i am overlooking.

Runs on 12V!!!

Im working on pics duke

thebaronn wrote:

Hmmm.

These FF have got me thinking and looking for better product, or similar. I found this

And it hooks up to a DMX controller. Its water proof and cutable like LED ropelight!!!

Runs on 12V!!!

Im working on pics duke

I think I'll pass on those due to cost

USD1921.374(approx.) :shock:

Thanks for making pics though.

Dr. Jones wrote:

I have been reading this thread for some time to see how the FF strands compare to the CK products I purchased...

CK? I know I saw those somewhere and had looked at them but there was something about those that looked like they would cost more overall. I think it was because those are DMX and we would need to buy a DMX controller for LOR which is about $259 http://store.lightorama.com/smdmxin.html for 256 channels and then there was the matter of providing a power supply for each string? Link please?

Duke wrote:

Dr. Jones wrote:
I have been reading this thread for some time to see how the FF strands compare to the CK products I purchased...

CK? I know I saw those somewhere and had looked at them but there was something about those that looked like they would cost more overall. I think it was because those are DMX and we would need to buy a DMX controller for LOR which is about $259 http://store.lightorama.com/smdmxin.html for 256 channels and then there was the matter of providing a power supply for each string? Link please?

Yes they are DMX controlled

Yes you would need an iDMX

Yes "retail" they cost more

But - over the course of the year I was able to find the various parts of the system relatively cheap.

Here is the skinny - the diferences

they are DMX controlled - the strands are 50 nodes long ~17.5' long- and 2 strands per PS -with a caveaut LOR can only control 85 nodes per PS - that magic 256 barrier

cost - retail $599 per strand - Wiedamark.com has them for $189 http://www.wiedamark.com/icolorflex4cleartall.aspx

cost - retail - $229 per power supply - I found a company on Ebay that was selling the older model for $50 ea (Wiedamark has the DMX/Ethernet units for $199)

cost- retail -$259 per iDMX or buy during the sale (they were something like $200)

The price ends up about the same @ 1 CK strand = 3 FF strands until LOR makes the iDMX control 512 channels - then CK will become cheaper as you can run 100 nodes on a ps = 6FF strands

thebaronn wrote:

Hmmm.

Runs on 12V!!!

Im working on pics duke

I'm with Duke. I would be out on the price of these.

Looks like you can change color, but I am not seeing where you would have control over every RGB light. Looks like it is either all red or all green or all blue.

Paul Roberson wrote:

thebaronn wrote:
Hmmm.

Runs on 12V!!!

Im working on pics duke

Looks like you can change color, but I am not seeing where you would have control over every RGB light. Looks like it is either all red or all green or all blue.

all red and all blue is exactly what i am looking for!

I dont know, I have a few tricks up my sleeve still.

Will let you know/

Duke wrote:

thebaronn wrote:
It is not a wrapped arch, they are just zip tied to the side of the arch facing the street.

Woah! Not wrapped? Could you give us some daytime close ups of how you did that? I have ideas for some arches over our driveway and that would be GREAT if we don't have to wrap 'em.

Pictures PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!

Here you go sir!

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum79/17854-2.html

thebaronn wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:
thebaronn wrote:
Hmmm.

Runs on 12V!!!

Im working on pics duke

all red and all blue is exactly what i am looking for!

I dont know, I have a few tricks up my sleeve still.

Will let you know/

Yeah so not very cost effective. But this on the other hand!!!!

So I have this:

Watch the whole video!!! (there are 2 parts) I will post an explanation after it has been watched. HEHE!!!!

My kids would love to see that song done in lights. I may put something together for my FF testing, whenever I get some more pixel strings.

Very cool ides "clustering" the lights. I saw a post/video on PC last year with a display that had done this light "clustering". If you were far enough away (which the camera was) then everything could change to many different colors. They were not using any kind of diffuser though. Wouldn't you also know that I can not find the post/video now.

I would think that maybe you could cluster RGB light sets and put the string inside a dryer vent hose, and give the vent hose any color glow you wanted too.

I like the idea, but like the idea of having control over each light in the string. That is when it allows you to have control.:P:D Hopefully that will change soon.

Daryl posted on the forum that they have the new pixel strings and are outdoor testing them, before any shipments.

you know I was sitting here watching your videos "Baron" and I came up with an idea that might help you out on your acrylic tree. With acrylic the light does not dissipate well directly through the tube... Kind of like fiber optics you do not actually see the light transfusing. BUT if you took a cross section of the light maybe that would help it show up more. Example.... Lowes used to sell these acrylic signs that had you favorite sports teams and what not on them. It only had a few LEDS in the bottom and on the top of the sign but the whole acrylics flat edges would be lit up like non other. Or like on these... But th trick I would guess is seating the FF into the acrylic properly.

http://www.signgod.com/Products-Edge_Lit_Signs.html

Just a thought which you have probably already had but just trying to help.

Paul Roberson wrote:

My kids would love to see that song done in lights. I may put something together for my FF testing, whenever I get some more pixel strings.

Very cool ides "clustering" the lights. I saw a post/video on PC last year with a display that had done this light "clustering". If you were far enough away (which the camera was) then everything could change to many different colors. They were not using any kind of diffuser though. Wouldn't you also know that I can not find the post/video now.

I would think that maybe you could cluster RGB light sets and put the string inside a dryer vent hose, and give the vent hose any color glow you wanted too.

I like the idea, but like the idea of having control over each light in the string. That is when it allows you to have control.:P:D Hopefully that will change soon.

Daryl posted on the forum that they have the new pixel strings and are outdoor testing them, before any shipments.

I can email you the whole sequence and song when I get home from work tomorrow. Its only 1 minute long. The video of the whole song on my christmas display will be posted when I get around to splicing video.

Dont get me wrong, Im not looking to get in on FF action. What I am going to do is go to a plastic manufacturer this week and he will look at my prototype and let me know the cost. Im looking so I can put these on 3 light strands around my windows, overhangs, etc so now on those areas I have the same color flexibility.

I did have a set up where each diffuser had 3 C7 bulbs in it (one bulb per outlet) so each pixel was separate, but it was only so so. But it was easy to make single sockets for each bulb.

cobergas wrote:

you know I was sitting here watching your videos "Baron" and I came up with an idea that might help you out on your acrylic tree. With acrylic the light does not dissipate well directly through the tube... Kind of like fiber optics you do not actually see the light transfusing. BUT if you took a cross section of the light maybe that would help it show up more. Example.... Lowes used to sell these acrylic signs that had you favorite sports teams and what not on them. It only had a few LEDS in the bottom and on the top of the sign but the whole acrylics flat edges would be lit up like non other. Or like on these... But th trick I would guess is seating the FF into the acrylic properly.

http://www.signgod.com/Products-Edge_Lit_Signs.html

Just a thought which you have probably already had but just trying to help.

I gave up. I saw other video of the same deal and it looked great. But not mine.

But I think that when I choose CAST rods that was my downfall. Everyone else was using extruded which wasnt as clear at the CAST. But in retrospect I want something that isnt perfectly clear.

Ahhhh next year next year.

But you are right, mayber take a sander and score the outside????

I looked at that sign site and it makes sense. They probably just cut a groove in an underlying sheet of plexi and then cover it with another smooth clear sheet. The unfinished or raw cut surfaces give the llight something to be illuminated by. I would think that if you sanded the entire outside diameter of the rods that it would light the entire rod which I think is what you're looking for. I would use an emery cloth or very fine grit to start because I don't think it would require much to dull the outer sorface to get what you need. You need a surface that will give the light something to illuminate. Clear surfaces let light pass thru and escape. Opaque does not but will illuminate like a diffuser. Look at a clear light bulb and a frosted one for example. Try one and see. If my idea works, I will gladly accept (32) 6 foot rods lightly sanded as payment so I can make 2 trees of my own! :(

Duke wrote:

I looked at that sign site and it makes sense. They probably just cut a groove in an underlying sheet of plexi and then cover it with another smooth clear sheet. The unfinished or raw cut surfaces give the llight something to be illuminated by. I would think that if you sanded the entire outside diameter of the rods that it would light the entire rod which I think is what you're looking for. I would use an emery cloth or very fine grit to start because I don't think it would require much to dull the outer sorface to get what you need. You need a surface that will give the light something to illuminate. Clear surfaces let light pass thru and escape. Opaque does not but will illuminate like a diffuser. Look at a clear light bulb and a frosted one for example. Try one and see. If my idea works, I will gladly accept (32) 6 foot rods lightly sanded as payment so I can make 2 trees of my own! :)

Alright, Im on my way to OSH.

Maybe I get lucky and have a new video tonight!!

thank you for the ideas

thebaronn wrote:

Duke wrote:
I looked at that sign site and it makes sense. They probably just cut a groove in an underlying sheet of plexi and then cover it with another smooth clear sheet. The unfinished or raw cut surfaces give the llight something to be illuminated by. I would think that if you sanded the entire outside diameter of the rods that it would light the entire rod which I think is what you're looking for. I would use an emery cloth or very fine grit to start because I don't think it would require much to dull the outer sorface to get what you need. You need a surface that will give the light something to illuminate. Clear surfaces let light pass thru and escape. Opaque does not but will illuminate like a diffuser. Look at a clear light bulb and a frosted one for example. Try one and see. If my idea works, I will gladly accept (32) 6 foot rods lightly sanded as payment so I can make 2 trees of my own! :D

Alright, Im on my way to OSH.

Maybe I get lucky and have a new video tonight!!

thank you for the ideas

Sigh..................

Bottom line it that in person it is pretty sweet even still!!

But my camera quality, filming ability, distance needed from the tree to get the whole shot in are HUGE negatives. Im going to polish the top end this weekend and place little mirrors on them (i tried it with a big mirror, it actually make a noticable difference, but probably cant tell with my camera) one last hurrah and then if it doesnt get better, im done trying until next year.

im done trying until next year.

WAIT! Don't give up yet!

Try wrapping wax paper, or tissue paper, or even toilet paper around one of the rods and see if it has any effect. More so at the very top or furthest away from the pixel and see if it shows better or brighter.

OH yeah! cobergas gets a couple trees too! :shock: