Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyone else trying out the new Firefly units?

tboerjan

WOW!! So im going to film my lights and put the video up on youtube and vimeo!

In the opening credits of each video when I say the name of the song and my website I think I will also say the following:

Featuring Light O Rama products that work flawlessly and come with excellent customer service.

And introducing 4 Firefly strands that dont work 95% of the time from the worst company imaginable, d-light! They come with a non-existent support staff and a costco size jar of tylenol for all the headaches you will have trying to get this thing to cooperate.

And LEDs from Creative Displays that are no longer on the house because they broke last minute and I had to replace them with LEDs from home depot!

Also, during the video I will have arrows pointing "this blue pixel should be off", this whole strand is doing something on its own" etc.....

"Here used to hang CDI LEDs!!!"

lol!!!

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thebaronn

• Paul Roberson

• Duke

• tboerjan

So I went to the Trans Siberian Concert tonight, and they had a pixel or 2 out. Kinda thought it was funny. They sure had a lot of pixels on those sheets though. Someone should find out what company made theirs.

thebaronn wrote:

WOW!! So im going to film my lights and put the video up on youtube and vimeo!

In the opening credits of each video when I say the name of the song and my website I think I will also say the following:

Featuring Light O Rama products that work flawlessly and come with excellent customer service.

And introducing 4 Firefly strands that dont work 95% of the time from the worst company imaginable, d-light! They come with a non-existent support staff and a costco size jar of tylenol for all the headaches you will have trying to get this thing to cooperate.

And LEDs from Creative Displays that are no longer on the house because they broke last minute and I had to replace them with LEDs from home depot!

Also, during the video I will have arrows pointing "this blue pixel should be off", this whole strand is doing something on its own" etc.....

"Here used to hang CDI LEDs!!!"

lol!!!

LOL....like a "pop up video" from MTV....LOL that would be funny.

cobergas wrote:

Would anyone consider mixing the D-light controllers with Light o rama or because of the poor support found from the firefly's to stick with LOR?

There are people who mix controllers.

Like thebarron do not. This is my first year with LOR and they and their equipment was flawless!!!

The only problems out of my display this year have come from FF and CDI LED's, and some idiot(s) that stold one of my blowups Sat night!!!

I don't know how much or if any D-lights controllers "might be" in the initial cost. Its the service you get from LOR and this board for that matter that is priceless!!!

I posted on D-light Sat. night asking if "anything is being done" with our FF problems. I have not gotten an answer from D-light.

I did however get the standard "they are very busy" answer from someone though.

I get so sick of hearing that!!!!! When I was with another company and problems getting answers from the company was posted I saw people respond with

"this is their busy time of the year give them a break"

"this is their slow time maybe they are taking a break. Cut them some slack"

blah, blah, blah!!!!!

Paul Roberson wrote:

I posted on D-light Sat. night asking if "anything is being done" with our FF problems. I have not gotten an answer from D-light.

I did however get the standard "they are very busy" answer from someone though.

I get so sick of hearing that!!!!! When I was with another company and problems getting answers from the company was posted I saw people respond with

"this is their busy time of the year give them a break"

"this is their slow time maybe they are taking a break. Cut them some slack"

blah, blah, blah!!!!!

You should say how busy?? Busy like me with a hair dryer, WD40 and silicone sealant?? Busy like i worked on christams fixing your $#!& and so did you??

jstein wrote:

So I went to the Trans Siberian Concert tonight, and they had a pixel or 2 out. Kinda thought it was funny. They sure had a lot of pixels on those sheets though. Someone should find out what company made theirs.

was it "out" or randomly doing whatever it wants??

I can handle out...........no problem.

Out is better that when you turn all the reds on and all of a sudden 1/2 a FF strands turns white and flickers uncontrollably or everything should be off but nooooo, there is a good ole FF dancing around aimlessly.

That detracts from the show. and then people say WTF?? This guy sucks a sequencing!

I have not had any responses to my e-mail either. I am seriously thinking about challenging the charge to my credit card company.

Denny wrote:

I have not had any responses to my e-mail either. I am seriously thinking about challenging the charge to my credit card company.

I was thinking of challenging also.......but what do i say when they ask me why there was a 2nd.....and 3rd charge within a month, lol! It still wasnt me!!!

But hey!!! Tonights show worked well!!! Only 2 stuck pixels, but I have a pixel that the green is out!! WTF??? Now I have to deal with a failing pixel color?? When will the madness stop!

I had to overnight a couple of snowmen to replace the ones that decided to die this weekend. Hopefully I can film all videos on thursday night at 3am and the pixels will work!!!

Ahhhh what a dreamer i am!

I have been following this topic loosely for the past few weeks and I just actually read the whole thing. I was going to purchase the Fireflies when they came out, but I thought about how rushed it seemed they made it to get them out. That made me think I should wait. Right now, I am thrilled that I did. I am sorry to hear so many of you are having issues with them. It really makes all your hard work of sequencing and set up really seem like it isn't worth it.

I really wish/hope LOR comes up with something similar to FF, and I am certain it will work. I really want to add something like this next year, but not at the cost of having to fix it every single night.

LOR...HELP US OUT AND MAKE A PRODUCT LIKE THIS THAT WORKS!!;)

Ponddude wrote:

I have been following this topic loosely for the past few weeks and I just actually read the whole thing. I was going to purchase the Fireflies when they came out, but I thought about how rushed it seemed they made it to get them out. That made me think I should wait. Right now, I am thrilled that I did. I am sorry to hear so many of you are having issues with them. It really makes all your hard work of sequencing and set up really seem like it isn't worth it.

I really wish/hope LOR comes up with something similar to FF, and I am certain it will work. I really want to add something like this next year, but not at the cost of having to fix it every single night.

That is just it. There is no way to "fix it every single night" :shock:

We are actually just messing with (I mean fixing) them and hoping they will work.LOL

Actually between FF and CDI LEDs most of the extra sequencing was a waste.

One other thing to report. I ran the show a couple nights from the Showtime MP3 Director and FF was just awful. Doing mostly what ever they wanted to do. I am back running from the computer with LORs USB485B and S2, and FF is working well with a sticking pixel now and then on one of them.

Im all for, all of us emailing Dan and asking if they are going to make something simular.

I also saw a post by someone saying that Galaxie was having water issues with their strings. Not that that helps us any.

Ponddude wrote:

I can't speak for duke and paul (we are like brothers now, and we highjacked the thread from tboerjan, but i am very greatful that he started this thread, w/o him i would still be watching and waiting on the d-light forums,lol) but I can say that even though i b!*@# and moan I had a great christmas!!! We do try to post when it all goes well, but it is a lot easier to remember the bad posts documenting disasters!!! Its kind like when your family comes over for christmas dinner and nothing goes as planned (at least mine never does, we always make a joke that its like the movie christmas vacation) yes it wasnt perfect, but you know what it was great, it was beautiful, it was worth every backbreaking, hairpulling, 4letter word dropping moment! Because when you are out side and it works well and you can hear the music emminating from people's cars and they give you a woohoo or a clap and a big thank you, all you can do is smile and say F$@# YEAH! Im the man!!!!

There was poster on d-light that said it best, I will paraphrase because i am too lazy to go look for it. But he said that us christmas freaks wouldnt be happy no matter what. He knows that if they decided to actually test these suckers instead of selling them to us, come January when all these videos pop up on youtube, me, duke and paul would be like HEY??? WTF is that??? And why didnt we have one this year????? I cant believe it?? What a bad beat!

I for one am very happy i purchased them. Im glad Im a freak and went out and made a "Flannigan Light Saber Tree" Im glad that every second i think about them I wondering what madness i can use them for next year. I am thinking that for every case of CDI LEDs i was thinking of buying, I can get one more FF next year. Im hoping they find a way to link them together!

I would really like them to have 18 pixels instead of 16. 16 kinda ruins my mojo.

And btw make sure (if you havent) to watch duke's video!!! it is sweet!!!!(thats y it is worth it)

thebaronn wrote:

jstein wrote:

was it "out" or randomly doing whatever it wants??

I can handle out...........no problem.

Out is better that when you turn all the reds on and all of a sudden 1/2 a FF strands turns white and flickers uncontrollably or everything should be off but nooooo, there is a good ole FF dancing around aimlessly.

That detracts from the show. and then people say WTF?? This guy sucks a sequencing
There was a couple times it was just out. A couple times it randomly flashed,and other times it worked flawlessly. Oh the technology these days.

is everyone okay???

No post for 3 days????

It was hella foggy here and ALL my pixels were stuck on!!! all 5 strands just on!!!

that was pretty sweet

Yeah, I think everyone is ok. Just nothing has changed and have actually ran out of things to try.:shock:

All I know to do now is wait on Darryl to tell us he has everything fixed and new pixel strings are on the way. I have heard nothing out of him for weeks now. Someone posted the typical "he is very busy" response on the D-light forums when I posted about not hearing from him.

Today, Darryl posted the following on the D-Light forum regarding the firefly:

"We are waiting on the new shipment of pixels. They shipped today to us. Once we receive them, we will be doing additional environmental testing for a few weeks.

Stay tuned...."

WOW!!! So i woke up at midnight to film. 12 songs. I was lucky, only one car and the Firefly arches worked perfectly and the firefly megatree worked, I would say 98%. I was going to get it from another angle but after one run the FF started acting up (like they said, alright chump, you have worked hard, we will give you one good run, and then when I tried another they said dont push it)

I only made one video so far and here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dIwGk6_3YM

I learned some things:

1. Need a WS HD camera with better low light capability

2. The Firefly medium mega-tree does not film well, AT ALL!! I took close up and it looks just as weak.

Looks good! At least FF let you get some video:D

That is one big arch. How high/long is it?

If you wait another 3-4 weeks maybe you will have some replacement pixel strings.

I think it is 54 feet in length. But I am not sure at all. 6 10ft conduits and then I cut off the extra (i let the lights dictate the length of the arch)

I never measured it. It was a last minute thing. Took me 2 hours from start to finish, I cheated, only used 900 mini LEDs. 100 per channel, 9 channels. It is not a wrapped arch, they are just zip tied to the side of the arch facing the street. And I didnt use any glue so the conduit will break sdown and store easily! LOL!

Im going to sleep!, good night!