Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyone else trying out the new Firefly units?

tboerjan

Yeah, when mine were dry and running fine those 4 days they stayed on. I did not put them on the timmer til yesterday while it was raining.;)

I also have my "vents" siliconed up. Either my silicone job was not good enough or condensation has gotten the board wet.

Merry Christmas!!

Paul

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thebaronn

• Paul Roberson

• Duke

• tboerjan

Ok, so we are 100% sure water has something to do with the firefly problems.

Then why is it that I got home from work at 7am this morning and all my fireflys were on (sans a few off pixels here and there) after the worst rain we have had so far this year(and yes I know we have it easy here, but you for get the CA motto "Oh $&!# its raining, have to drive faster and crazier") So after some choice words while sitting in my car I decided to leave them on.

The show started and 2 strands were working perfectly now (after raining on and off all day) and 2 starnds and the mega tree were just completely ON?? At 530pm We were leaving to go to the festival of lights and I asked my wife if the "on" strand detracted from the display and she said yes so I turn those 3 off.

I came back at 830 and mentioned to her that I had not watched a whole sequence in the car with sound, even the new rudolph mix i premiered on Christmas Eve (i filmed 2 songs but with no sound).

So I ran out there and turned the 3 FF units on to see if I got lucky.....And WTF?? No stuck pixels, no flickering pixels??? And its still raining. I mean last week I was thinking, well since I will not get new FF in time for christmas Im done tinkering. I will just wait for THEM to fix THEIR problem and give me new strands. Its sad I was at wolf camera and ready to buy some bada$$ sony camera good for low light and my wife said "why do you need a twenty five hundred dollar camera, I said I dont need it, I want it, and its your christmas gift to me LOL! Then she said, but you said you weren't going to get any good video because the lights were messing up. I sat their and thought for a while and was upset when I realized she was right, so we left w/out buying anything. guess I will go to disneyland instead. But now I have hope!!! Even if I only get one song a night at the beginning of the show!!! At least I have something........

Sorry I went off on that tangent. So do your FFs get worse as your show progresses?

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

The 1 string that was flickering after it rained and I left powered on fixed itself.

Last night I powered them up at 4 pm and the show started at 5 pm.

No glitches at all. Everything went fine.

Go figure. I am pretty sure that water/moisture is playing a big part in this.

Maybe because after we got the rain, it got really cold here and the water froze?

These don't get very hot or even warm enough to melt ice when it's cold enough so the frozen water may not be a problem just the liquid type? I'm grabbing at straws now.

IDK WTH

I run my show from my computer while running video. I tried the show last night running from the Showtime MP3 Director. FF # 3, 4 worked perfectly. FF # 1, 2 worked fine on some and messed (flickering or white) up on others. The only difference in the shows is one has video and the other one has MP3s.

Who knows I may need to up the bit rate on the Director. It is set at the same bit rate as the show on the computer.

I think me, us, or someone is in for a long summer of testing. IF D-LIGHT STOPS BEING MIA!!!! I have had or seen no response from them on their forums about the flickering since Dec. 16

Paul Roberson wrote:

IDK WTH

I run my show from my computer while running video. I tried the show last night running from the Showtime MP3 Director. FF # 3, 4 worked perfectly. FF # 1, 2 worked fine on some and messed (flickering or white) up on others. The only difference in the shows is one has video and the other one has MP3s.

Who knows I may need to up the bit rate on the Director. It is set at the same bit rate as the show on the computer.

I think me, us, or someone is in for a long summer of testing. IF D-LIGHT STOPS BEING MIA!!!! I have had or seen no response from them on their forums about the flickering since Dec. 16

right now, as long as I get new, working FFs by 4th of july im good.(i was going to do valentines and st patricks like last year-it would be really cool i could out line a big shamrock that could change color, and a heart, but im just too tired)

and come to think of it.....by october would be fine!

Has anyone used aurora?

I only ask because my FF were all jacked up a flickering. I closed everything and used the d-light hardware dealio and they worked just fine, no stuck pixels or anything....

And the next very important question, can you import a LOR sequence to aurora?

Yes you can import LOR to Aurora but not back the other way.

Do you suspect that it is LOR messing you up?

I would hate to see you spend $$$ on Aurora and find there is no difference.

Try the free version first as well before you spring more $ for software that may not resolve the issues.

I could not get the free version to run on my PC without it crashing so my interest in it was quickly evaporated. It didn't seem to user friendly when it did run before it crashed. LOL

Duke wrote:

Yes you can import LOR to Aurora but not back the other way.

Do you suspect that it is LOR messing you up?

I would hate to see you spend $$$ on Aurora and find there is no difference.

Try the free version first as well before you spring more $ for software that may not resolve the issues.

I could not get the free version to run on my PC without it crashing so my interest in it was quickly evaporated. It didn't seem to user friendly when it did run before it crashed. LOL

thank you for the heads up. I will try it, but I have a feeling that it will not import the firfly colors correctly (im just guessing) if I have to re-synch the FFs then it is really not worth it.

Wish me luck!

Its pretty bad when you are sequencing a new song and you really do not want to even do anything spectacular with the FF because you know there is only a 30% chance it will actually be working

Patience young Skywalker. Feel the force from within and let it flow from the good side. Do not cross over to the darkside or it will destroy you.

I have NO idea why I just did that. :shock:

The string that was flickering and fixed itself started flickering again so I did the swap thing right during the first song of the show. It poured down rain here yesterday too so tonight should be a real treat. I have to go up on the roof and replace 2 CDI strings of 100 count multi's on the fan AGAIN and then I will no longer have any spares for the Marty Fan on the roof. That's a bummer 'cause it's been a real hit with the crowd too. Last night I heard LOT's of people saying.... "Oh LOOK! That section is burned out!" OR "It's not working in that spot" Yeah yeah yeah I know already. Send an email to Paul at CDI and TELL HIM! :D

I have been drooling over the FF since they first came out but I did not bite because this is my first year and I wanted to leave room for expansion of the WOW word.. I will continue to watch this thread to see when and if they resolve this problem.

cobergas wrote:

I have been drooling over the FF since they first came out but I did not bite because this is my first year and I wanted to leave room for expansion of the WOW word.. I will continue to watch this thread to see when and if they resolve this problem.

YOU WERE SMARTER THAN US!!!!!

nothing better than spending $1000 on product that doesnt work. Worst part is, if I dont by FFs that are junk, I buy CDI LEDs that are junk! LOL!!! What we call a lose-lose scenario!!!

I think this "08 lighting season" will be referred to, by some of us with a different title, because of FF and CDI LEDs. LOL

Not sure we will be able to use it on the boards though:shock:

Paul Roberson wrote:

I think this "08 lighting season" will be referred to, by some of us with a different title, because of FF and CDI LEDs. LOL

Hmmm, don't know, may be too crass,
How bout a play on north by northwestt

FbyFF??

:shock:

thebaronn wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:

FbyFF??

LOL, Hey don't leave out CDI LEDs....

Paul Roberson wrote:

thebaronn wrote:
Paul Roberson wrote:

FbyFF??

LOL, Hey don't leave out CDI LEDs....

okay..............

Then it has to be shortened to just one word

F

maybe a PG version

Lighting Season 2008, not so great!

What still kills me is that the FF or off all night and then you turn them on and they work great for 2 or 3 songs (at least mine do) and then they revert to whatever they were doing the end of the previous night. Same pixels, same everything.

I guess I may be giving up on taking videos completely

So the CDI leds are junk as well? I have had great success with the Phillips brand led bought from Target. today I picked up a case of LEDS from Big Lots. They are actually the LED star lights. 2 bucks a box I do not think I will go wrong with them. This is my first year with any LOR product and or enough channels to make a real show. I am going to learn from everyone here day by day. I think I did ok for my first year with little or no direction or help from anyone.
Would you guys check out my sequences and tell me what you think for a newbie?

cobergas wrote:

Would anyone consider mixing the D-light controllers with Light o rama or because of the poor support found from the firefly's to stick with LOR?

LOR all the way baby.

If all companies stuck by their product like LOR, this thread would be a lot smaller!