Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyone else trying out the new Firefly units?

tboerjan

Paul Roberson wrote:

thebaronn wrote:
i agree, it didnt rain much out here (only 2 times since thanksgiving) and the days following there were problems. Last time it wasnt bad, I thought I just got lucky and it went away(only rained for an hour) but it rained all day yesterday and when I cam home and saw everything jacked up i was PISSED!!!!!

But I turned everything off. I turned it on this afternoon and it was fine. then i looked later and one was jacked up. I turn them off again and when I just turned it back the same one is freaking out.

but you want to know something funny (i know you do) i have 9 pixels that have NEVER been an issue......They are the 9 pixels i used for the Acrylic Rod Mega Tree!! I used 2 big tubes of sealer on them after i popped the caps off!! Guaranteed no water is able to get in there!! So that goes with your finding.

I see where you posted that the pixel string used on your Acrylic Rod Mega Tree is messing up now.

I am courious did you have all the pixles sealed or just the 9 used for the tree?

I used a TON of sealant, but it was only on the top, where the rods rest (where the screw caps go on) but my guess is that that is not the problem, water is getting in from underneath. If you give a little torque perpendicular to the hoizontal joint it will pop.....something that is sealed shouldnt pop that easy.

the pixel on the ground to the right of the tree have been off and on whenever they want. thought i was good to go on the mega tree. guess not.

so i just rewired my outside so that all the fireflys are on one power strip which i now turn off after the show.

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thebaronn

• Paul Roberson

• Duke

• tboerjan

Paul Roberson wrote:

This was posted by Dan on D-light....

We are aggressively working to correct the issue and get these production issues resolved.
Until then, we are suspending sales temporarily on Firefly.

THAT's what CDI should have done or do now.

I commend them for their actions.

I am not sure water penetration is the only problem. As soon as I installed the brand new replacement string on my firefly, it acted up the same way. Even the same pixel did the same thing, came on red and stayed red. Since it was dusk and right before the show started when I replaced the pixel string, I also noticed that every pixel was lit up as a dim white. Wouldn't have been able to see that if it had not been almost dark. Also, the longer they are used, the worse the problems seem to become. So if it is only a water penetration problem, my replacement string was shipped with the water in the pixels.

Denny wrote:

I am not sure water penetration is the only problem. As soon as I installed the brand new replacement string on my firefly, it acted up the same way. Even the same pixel did the same thing, came on red and stayed red. Since it was dusk and right before the show started when I replaced the pixel string, I also noticed that every pixel was lit up as a dim white. Wouldn't have been able to see that if it had not been almost dark. Also, the longer they are used, the worse the problems seem to become. So if it is only a water penetration problem, my replacement string was shipped with the water in the pixels.

I would not be suprised at this point that there is multiple problems. Did or can you play the controller swapping game and see if the problem moves with the controller of stays with the string?

Maybe you got the string that was used in the "water proof up to one meter" test. Only it failed the test.:D

Congrats, Paul, on your troubleshooting techniques. Sounds like you may also be right about multiple probelms, too. At least, D-Light is going to stand behind their product. I got an e-mail yesterday from them saying they would replace mine also when and if they started "flickering". One has to wonder after the r&d into the product, how much testing took place. Secondly, I know everyone is price conscious, but I would rather have something work right and pay more - made here to control the product. I sure everyone agrees with that especially if you invest your time in making something (arches, trees, etc.) with it. And your time in sequencing which is the longest, most pain-staking part (at least for me).

Got to wonder too, why there doesn't seem to many problems/solutions on D-Light board...

And LOR forums do seem better and with more topics, depth, etc. - is that because of the number of users, as well as, the interface?

Paul Roberson wrote:

Denny wrote:

I would not be suprised at this point that there is multiple problems. Did or can you play the controller swapping game and see if the problem moves with the controller of stays with the string?

Maybe you got the string that was used in the "water proof up to one meter" test. Only it failed the test.:D

Paul,

Fortunately, I only bought one Firefly since they were released so late in the season. Figured I would see what it could do and maybe get more before next year. So, no, I didn't/can't swap controllers.

Denny wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:
Denny wrote:

Paul,

Fortunately, I only bought one Firefly since they were released so late in the season. Figured I would see what it could do and maybe get more before next year. So, no, I didn't/can't swap controllers.

I think you were smarter than me!!:)

Water issue update.

I prechecked my FF's and right away 1 started flickering. I swapped it out with a new white circuit style string that was flickering before but had now dried out and is fine and then another one started. I swapped it out with an older black circuit style that has dried out and it too is fine. SO........... we need to take this in every night and put them in the drier to be ready for the next show and they'll be fine.

Just trying to inject some humor here but I think once this new known issue is taken care of they should be good to go agreed?

I suggested using a 2 part epoxy or urethane rather than the weird crumbly silicone that is in these now. I have taken these apart to repair cold solder joints and the rubbery stuff they use kind of cracks and crumblees into little chunks. Not very robust for waterproofing IMHO. Any other good ideas to water/moisture proof these?

Epoxy would be a VERY permanent fix. I used that strechy, plastic shipping stuff to cover some LEDs by wrapping spirally around my arches - that certainly wouldn't be as permanent, but I think would keep out most water while allowing all the light out and allowing for future dissection if needed.

Yeah, I think that when the water intrusion is fixed most problems will be behind us. At least the "I gotta unplug these things" problems.

As far as what to use for sealer???? I am not sure what would be best. I tend to agree with tboerjan that the epoxy is pretty perminant. Although with the bragged about life expectancy of LED's we should be good to go for 10 years;)

I think if we want these things working properly Christmas week it is going to be up to us to get them sealed or put an umbrella over them.:D

Our temps have been in the 0-30 degree range with snow (several inches) and 1/4 to 3/4 inch of ice/sleet supposedly to hit us tomorrow. I may not have to worry about a display...this happenned last year, too....

Those little bubbles trapped in the sealant are not from water, it is air. I have a replacement string and I had noticed it right out of the box. Also my FF is indoors and I have not had the sticky pixels. My first string had bad solder joints. I am also curious if these strings are rated for outdoor use as the controller itself is not sealed for outdoor use, just my thoughts, LW.

lonewolvie wrote:

Those little bubbles trapped in the sealant are not from water, it is air. I have a replacement string and I had noticed it right out of the box. Also my FF is indoors and I have not had the sticky pixels. My first string had bad solder joints. I am also curious if these strings are rated for outdoor use as the controller itself is not sealed for outdoor use, just my thoughts, LW.

When I mashed around on the silicone water actually was pushed out of the crack where the 2 halves go together.

Your use of the indoors and not haveing problems is another conformation that it is a water intrusion problem.

On D-lights website it states that these are water proof up to 1 meter:). I would say that if their website would have stated indoor I would not have even considered buying them. I do think someone forgot to put the "indoor only" sticker on them though. :D

lonewolvie wrote:

Those little bubbles trapped in the sealant are not from water, it is air.

Strange that the bubbles are gone from the strings that flickered when they had bubbles and now work perfect without them.

My replacement string did not get a chance to get water in it, at least after I received it. I took it from the box and hooked it to the controller as soon as the mailman handed it to me and still had the problems. As a matter of fact, it runs all day, even when the show isn't running. (If you can call it running, the pixels flash dimly all the time). I think I may have a controller problem as well as a pixel problem.

Has anyone heard what D-light is planning to do to correct the problem? I see very little on their forum about the issues with the replacements. I e-mailed them about the replacement string but have never received a response.

Also, a question for those that are resoldering their old strings. My replacement string had a note in it to return the old pixels to D-Light in the box that the replacements came in. Did any of you receive that note?

I am sure we all received that note. I had mine boxed up and ready to ship back when the replacements started flickering. I unboxed them and am using one of them now.

You may very well have a bad controller also. Have you tried the 'old' pixle string on it again? If it was moisture and not soldering problem it may work now. That is if it isnt your controller.

I have heard nothing from D-light other than what I have posted above.

Well.....another one having trouble. I got one of my pixel strings siliconed up. They were all running and looking WOW. When I got back home, pixel 8-16 on the string I have not had any problems with at all (until now) were not doing anything at all. I got one of the other strings that I have set aside for silicone, and hooked it to the controller. It worked just fine!! I hooked the one that had 8-16 doing nothing now they are on solid white.

Its not raining here tonight, but the fog is very thick and has everything damp.

So if you are keeping score I have now had trouble out of all six pixel strings I have here.

When I got my first string, I could tell that they were not waterproof. I do not know as to why D-Light would even suggest that these were waterproof to one meter.(Possible translation problem) The cable or wires used have an irregular shape that would leak if it was not sealed properly. Also the controller is not weatherproof either. The string also came with an end connecter as to connect another pixel string to it yet there was no end cap to seal it off. One post had suggested that if the pixel units themselves were sealed with epoxy, then they would be waterproof. This soft material that is used flexes around the cable allowing water to seep in.

Given all of the problems that some are having with FireFly, I am curious if people are having similar problems with the store bought "Gemmy" non computer controllable pixel light strings?

Paul Roberson wrote:

Well.....another one having trouble. I got one of my pixel strings siliconed up. They were all running and looking WOW. When I got back home, pixel 8-16 on the string I have not had any problems with at all (until now) were not doing anything at all. I got one of the other strings that I have set aside for silicone, and hooked it to the controller. It worked just fine!! I hooked the one that had 8-16 doing nothing now they are on solid white.

Its not raining here tonight, but the fog is very thick and has everything damp.

So if you are keeping score I have now had trouble out of all six pixel strings I have here.

6 huh.......Hehe, I only bought 5!

So I havent posted because i didnt want to jinx myself but that didnt work.

So yesterday after the show all the strings had something wrong with them. I turned them off until show time today. For the 1st hour everything was PERFECT!!!!

Now that the show is over, all strings have issues. 2 of them are now completely on and flickering....sweet.

So i guess I will shoot video for the for the 1st hour!

This is so lame man.