Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyone else trying out the new Firefly units?

tboerjan

You can use something like this website to figure out what color mix you would need for the desired color.

For this I am going to use the color that is in the top right hand corner of the color box on the web site above (yes it is an ugly color).

The color mix for it is red=204, green=153, blue=102

I set up my channel names for FF like this..Lets use d-lights default settings of controller numbers of 02,03,04

Controller 02 Red 1.1, Red 2.1, Red 3.1,....thru Red 16.1

Controller 03 Green 1.1, Green 2.1, Green 3.1,.......thru Green 16.1

Controller 04 Blue 1.1, Blue 2.1, Blue 3.1, ..........thru Blue 16.1

The reason for my numbering system is....the first # is the channel # the second number tells me which FF unit it is. I have 4 FF units so the last one is channel#.4

If I want to do a chase in the color above. I first program the chase using just the Red 1.1, thru Red 16.1 with intensity set at 204. Then I will copy the chase and past it into Green 1.1, thru Green 16.1. I will then go thru and change the intensity on what I pasted into Green 1.1, thru Green 16.1 to 153. Then do the same copy and past into the Blue 1.1, thru Blue 16.1 then change that intensity to 102.

This will produce a chase on my FF unit 1 with the (ugly:D) color I chose from the link.

Programming a Red (controller 02 in the above example) or Green (03) or Blue (04)chase (or whatever) only requires programming on one controller. If you want a Red chase only program on (controller 02) red 1.1 thru red 16.1. If you want a white chase program on Red 1.1 thru 16.1 then copy and past it into the other two (Green, Blue) controllers.

I am sure there are other ways to do this. Maybe even an easier way. There are also other places to get your R,G,B color intensity #'s too

I hope this will help someone understand and not confuse them:shock:

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thebaronn

• Paul Roberson

• Duke

• tboerjan

Just wanted to thank tboerjan for starting this thread and everyone else for contributing. This information is better than anything that is on the D-Light website (which is pretty sad, my website is better, LOL!)

Maybe someday I will create something so cool that no matter how bad my customer service and information distribution is, people will still buy it!!! (hehe)

Eric

Paul Roberson wrote:

Yep I am confused, I am not sure where the hex colors come into play or where to put these. I don't have these yet but would like to order some. I don't want to get them and find out it is a tedious task to sequence them. I am better with a visual to get the idea so can you post some screen shots. When you say it looks identical to any other programming in LOR II I would assume that would be as simple as turning on and off lights in the sequence but it doesn't sound that easy. How do you know when the lights have changed a color in the sequence, how do you mix the colors to change them. That is what I am not understanding. All I have done is simple turn lights on and off programming.

Well, I was lucky and didnt have to update the firmware.

After 10 minutes my firefly was up and running. Only thanks to tboerjan and this thread. All you have to do is dowload the d-light hardware, set the channel number for the firefly and you are done. (you will never see it in the LOR hardware utility) But sequence it just like 3 16 channel controllers.

I quickily added a chase sequence to a song. Boring back and forth only. But added 48 new channels. sequenced the jump (easy with cut a paste, but i use the tapper wizard and in 4/4 time) and it was up and running in 10 minutes. It was pretty sweet!

Just have that "stuck" pixel problem which I have read on how to fix with a 95-100% fade.

So will try that tomorrow! (of course I have said nothing new, just want people to know that this is very doable and fairly painless, and i have vista, lol!)

Texan78 wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:

Yep I am confused, I am not sure where the hex colors come into play or where to put these. I don't have these yet but would like to order some. I don't want to get them and find out it is a tedious task to sequence them. I am better with a visual to get the idea so can you post some screen shots. When you say it looks identical to any other programming in LOR II I would assume that would be as simple as turning on and off lights in the sequence but it doesn't sound that easy. How do you know when the lights have changed a color in the sequence, how do you mix the colors to change them. That is what I am not understanding. All I have done is simple turn lights on and off programming.

This would produce a white clap effect then side to side in white. The only colors you will see in a visualizer will be red blue and green.

Attached files 162154=9404-FF White clap and side to si

I dont have any screen shots.

So lets say you have only one firefly (and thats it!!!)

You want to do a simple chase from left to right and back. Set your controller using the D-light utility to 1-2-3.

In LORII make a 48 channel line up. The first 16 will be for the color red, the 2nd 16 for green, and the last 16 for blue)

So for a red chase (assuming .10 sec interval) it will look much like you screen shot. Diagonal down (to the 1.16) then diagonal up (to the 1.1) and again and again. When you play it, it will be a red chase sequence.

So then for a blue, do the same pattern. And same for green.

That part is easy.

For a white, make the same chase sequence in red, and idtentical sequences in blue and green (kinds like olt tvs where you had to like up the green, red, and blue lines to make white and your tv was clear) They must turn on and off at the same time. Basically copy and paste.

For purple you would do what you did for the color white, excelt erase the sequences for controller 2(green) so you are only mixing red and blue.

To get other color, you have to figure out the intensities.

So for magenta, your red (1st 16 channels) will be on at 100% and blue (3rd 16 channels)would have an intensity of 50%. And yes this is very tedious. That is why I think I will only be having red, green, blue, white and purple this year. Because there is no cut and paste for changing intensities (i think). You have to sequence the red and 100% intensity. Then I find the easiest to be to copy and past that to the blue (which makes it purple as of now) and click on the set intensity tool and change it to 50%. Then click on every "on" box in the blue with the new intensity (you could just do it free hand instead of the copy and paste, but this way you are just "tracing" the intensity onto the original, no real room for error like eyeballing it.)

So as you can guess you can have every color unter that raindow. You just have to figure out the intensities.

I seriously need a computer screen that it 3 feet tall!!!

Hope this helps.

Eric

Here is a las file of the above programming. The sequence does a 'clap' 'side to side'. First in white, then red, then green, then blue, then back to white.

There is not a way to see "white" with FF in the visual you will see Red, Green, and Blue. Likewise you can not see purple in the visual.

Attached files FireFly Sample Programming.las

thebaronn wrote:

Hilarious, I wrote that long response for no reason!!

My slow POS computer at work only showed the top red sequence!

LOL!

Genius!

LMAO......It was not your computer.......It was my inability and first time trying to put three screen shots together...

Hey Paul!

So you have any video of the "top" mounted arches? (at night)

I like that idea and it looks cleaner (no crinkling of the wire around the arch)

I may have to change real quick, thats what is awesome about this stuff, easy to cut zip ties!! Hope I dont cut wires! LOL

Thanks you two, thanks makes more sense now. I had an idea but I wanted to make sure I was understanding that correctly and I was. That sounds like a pain in the rear to sequence. I think I will wait until next year and let your lab rats work out the kinks and see if they come out with a easier way and if LOR makes one...LoL

Here is a rough and I mean ROUGH video of them in my my living room.

I have been working on the set up in the yard and plan on doing a short video of them after it gets darker.

Thanks Barronn for the kind words. I hope the LOR community can pool are brains and resources to make sequencing Fireflys easier. They are relatively water tight and cost effective compared to LEDs, with infinite color combinations. The programming I suspect, will be almost like thinking in 3-dimensions because of the 3 by 16 channels. Here is a link to d-light's Firefly forum for anyone interested:

http://www.d-light.us/forum/viewforum.php?f=43

tom

that is absolutely sick!!!!

So that it top mounted?

If so, Im definitely switching them this weekend! I think the visual from the side is better than having them side mounted.

Saaaaaweeeeeet!

Eric

thebaronn wrote:

that is absolutely sick!!!!

So that it top mounted?

If so, Im definitely switching them this weekend! I think the visual from the side is better than having them side mounted.

Saaaaaweeeeeet!

Eric

If you are talking about my video...yes it is top mounted.

I was not able to get a video in the yard this evening. Neighbor thought I would like a visitor while I was working on the display:shock:

do you get this line:

"I would love to help you, but"

WHen I am outside at night I get that a lot from people walking by, and a few people parked there car and came up and said that to me, LOL!!!

LOL I did not even get that. It was mostly just bs. Ohh and he wanted to know if I could help move a piano the Sat after Thanksgiving...... I told him if people would leave me alone where I could get all the lights hooked up that I would probably have time by then.:) My answer did not even persuade him to leave:(