Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyone else trying out the new Firefly units?

tboerjan

I wonder if a 'cold solder' could be 'ok' or cause problems based on the mounting.

What I am getting at is... I have my v3 string and a v2 string mounted on arches. I only put one zip tie in the center between each pixel. I also have a v1 and v2 string just draped on the railing of the deck. During the season I had all my pixel strings mounted on arches with a zip tie on each side of each pixel.

Maybe with a zip tie on both sides of each pixel may have put enough stress on the bad connections and they would fail. All 4 of my FF units has ran perfectly rain or shine during my testing for the past 3 weeks or so.

I believe today I am going to drag my other 2 arches out and get all 4 strings zip tied to the arches with a zip tie on both sides of each pixel.

I really want to duplicate the 'flickering' and fix it.

I don't have the confidence to buy any more just yet.:D

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thebaronn

• Paul Roberson

• Duke

• tboerjan

Yep, that's exactly what I did when I made my arches, stretched the things as tight as I could and put a zip tie on each side of each pixel. So I think I probably over stressed the wires on it myself.

tboerjan wrote:

When we get done, we'll have either a owner's or a DIYer's manual.  I am amazed at the number of posts and views this topic has generated.  And the resourcfulness of the people. 

U should be proud, if it wasn't for you starting this, who knows??? I know I wouldn't have posted a topic here, i would still be on that sorry excuse for a board called D-light

lonewolvie wrote:

Does everyone who ordered a Firefly get the V3 string? I have the V2 rightnow, I have had some flickering problems. My first one had cold solder problems.

I think the V3 strings are still in the testing phase right now. I have only 1 V3 string, and since I have started testing I have seen no flickering out of it. BUT, I have also not seen any flickering out of the v1 or v2 strings either during this round of testing.

Ok, I'm lazy.

Who wrapped their firefly arches spirally?

I need pictures! LOL!

I want to use 2 FF per arch and wrap them so there are 32 pixels per 10 ft strand and I think that spirally is the only way to go.

I guess I could bunch them up, but I think that make look a little lame with the extra ribbon all over the place

So it looks like this:

Attached files 172459=9865-FFDBL.jpg

Baronn, Baronn, Baronn...... I wrapped mine spirally way back early in this thread. See my post and pic here:

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum76/17480-11.html

The only difference would be that you double the density by adding your second string in between the wraps of the first. An issue you may have is if you can make a "Y" adaptor to have 2 pixels come on at the same time since the controller can only address 16 pixels right now. They haven't updated the firmware to control 32 when you connect them end to end yet have they? If not then you would need to make the Y as I suggested and turn on 2 at a time.

Duke wrote:

Baronn, Baronn, Baronn...... I wrapped mine spirally way back early in this thread. See my post and pic here:

The only difference would be that you double the density by adding your second string in between the wraps of the first. An issue you may have is if you can make a "Y" adaptor to have 2 pixels come on at the same time since the controller can only address 16 pixels right now. They haven't updated the firmware to control 32 when you connect them end to end yet have they? If not then you would need to make the Y as I suggested and turn on 2 at a time.

I am pretty sure thebaronn is planning on using two pixel strings and 2 controllers per arch.:cool:

Seems to be the way he rolls.:D:dude:

Duke wrote:

Thank you!

Like I said I am lazy!

Paul Roberson wrote:

Duke wrote:

I am pretty sure thebaronn is planning on using two pixel strings and 2 controllers per arch.:cool:

LOL!!!

That was awesome!!

And yes will use 2 separate FF and alternate pixels.

Gotta hurry, Easter is almost here!!!!

thebaronn wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:
Duke wrote:

LOL!!!

That was awesome!!

Not happening, will have to shelv the dbl FF arch for now.

GRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

thebaronn wrote:

thebaronn wrote:
Paul Roberson wrote:
Duke wrote:

LOL!!!

That was awesome!!

Not happening, will have to shelv the dbl FF arch for now.

GRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

Whats up? What happen to shelve the project?

Sounds like the perfect oportunity for some more FF testing!!

Dont think I will be able to sequence it for Easter, thats all.

I have actually been having to work...at work! Can you believe that?? I did all my Halloween and Christmas sequencing at work last year. And now I dont have any time. But you know me, even if there is a chance to get it up I will be there!!!

Eric

• 5 weeks later...

Just strolled over to the D-light forums and found this post by Daryl.......:shock:

Thought some might like to know.

We have been very successful in our testing of the "V3" Firefly pixel strings! We have not seen any of the flickering issues with these strings.

Not all of the non-V3 strings were defective so, if you have non-V3 strings (V3 strings can be identified by the yellow ziptie near the controller connector) that are flickering,

• Please send an email to us at info@d-light.us
  • Place "V3 Replacement" in the subject line of the email
  • Specify how many defective strings that you own.
  • Provide your order number(s) that include your Firefly units.
  • Provide your shipping address.

Paul Roberson wrote:

Just strolled over to the D-light forums and found this post by Daryl.......:shock:

Thought some might like to know.

We have been very successful in our testing of the "V3" Firefly pixel strings! We have not seen any of the flickering issues with these strings.

Not all of the non-V3 strings were defective so, if you have non-V3 strings (V3 strings can be identified by the yellow ziptie near the controller connector) that are flickering,

• Please send an email to us at info@d-light.us
  • Place "V3 Replacement" in the subject line of the email
  • Specify how many defective strings that you own.
  • Provide your order number(s) that include your Firefly units.
  • Provide your shipping address.

order number??? Like I keep track of anything like that! I just got some lights last week that I forgot i ordered!!! Daryl is pretty cool though, he sent me 2 replacement strings already so my easter display could be in tip top shape!

Booyah!

I'm adding Firefly to my display this year, seeing as d-Light thought it was a good idea to fix the bugs. However, most of the arches I have seen have a pretty high peak. What is the width and the height of most of your arches?

I am thinking I may have to modify mine, because I don't want them that high.

Eric, will you have the mega arch in your Easter display? Did you get my email asking you questions about it? I want to come by and get some tips.

yes, just been busy, in fact i am sequencing at work as we speak. I hope to have it running tomorrow night ( only 25% chance of that) depends on how I feel after working a triple!

The Easter display went online at 815pm this evening! Took me 7hrs and 15 minutes to complete two new D-light arches an all the other stuff, start to finish!(I did the vertical poles last week, thank you Duke)

Some how I planned on 16 channels and 2 firefly but ended up with 51 channel and 2 firefly (yeah the extra 3 channels was great......)

And I can already tell the difference with these new fireflys!!!!!! I do a song that is 162BPM and have a ton of fast FF movements and no sticking pixels! Yes, when I programmed them I went for broke, they were not the focal point of the display just a fantastic addition and if they couldnt handle it then I would have yanked them!

Christmas is going to be great!

Eric

Attached files 173913=9949-easter.JPG