Light-O-Rama Forums

WHOLE HOUSE FM TRANSMITTER

Peter B

Hi All,

Thanking you in advance. I have seen on the LOR accessories web page a whole house fm transmitter for sale. Has anyone got any feedback on this item as to reliability, the range of 150ft as discribed etc?

Would like to here some feedback please :shock:.

Thanks again,

Pete. :dude:

Pete, it's an ok transmitter, nothing great IMHO.

The biggest negative for it is the fact that it only supports a handful of FM frequencies, making it very likely you will be forced to transmit over an existing station (a big no no). It's also a fixed 10mW of power (non-adjustable). Some folks have had it and had good luck, but there are much better choices in the price range.

In my opinion, for that amount of money, I would get the EDM LED (not LCD) for $136 shipped ... a MUCH better unit, sounds better, no limit on frequencies, 2 year warranty, great support. The EDM units have a ~ 3 week delivery time ... so order soon if you want it. They sell worldwide. This is a 1-10/10-100 mW (adjustable power) LED version ... and comparable to a Ramsey FM30B in capability (not frills) for less than half the price. For $172, the EDM LCD is as good as anything out there for under $1000 ...

http://www.edmdesign.com/orders.html

part # EDM-TX-110EP

I would echo Tybrynn. The wholehouse transmitter has had mixed results from those that have posted about it. The biggest problem I see with it (besides power) is that you can only choose freqs between 106.7 and 107.9. In my market, a very crowded segment.

The fact that it comes pre-assembled and meets the Part 15 might suggests that it might not have enough umph to get the quality and distance most people are looking for. Of course, being the UK, FCC Part 15 is not your concern although I am sure there is a regulation that you should adhear too.

I do like their explaination of antenna choice (from their website) -

Another reason, we choose this type of antenna is because Correctional Facilities cannot have telescoping metal antennas in the prisons. An inmate could break it off and...
[align=center] Turn It Into A Weapon![/align][align=left]
[/align]

taybrynn wrote:

Pete, it's an ok transmitter, nothing great IMHO.

The biggest negative for it is the fact that it only supports a handful of FM frequencies, making it very likely you will be forced to transmit over an existing station (a big no no). It's also a fixed 10mW of power (non-adjustable). Some folks have had it and had good luck, but there are much better choices in the price range.

In my opinion, for that amount of money, I would get the EDM LED (not LCD) for $136 shipped ... a MUCH better unit, sounds better, no limit on frequencies, 2 year warranty, great support. The EDM units have a ~ 3 week delivery time ... so order soon if you want it. They sell worldwide. This is a 1-10/10-100 mW (adjustable power) LED version ... and comparable to a Ramsey FM30B in capability (not frills) for less than half the price. For $172, the EDM LCD is as good as anything out there for under $1000 ...

http://www.edmdesign.com/orders.html

part # EDM-TX-110EP

Guy's, one last question:

What is the range of this unit please, roughly.

Thanks,

Pete.

The EDM will get you 1-2 blocks with the included wire antenna (in most situations) and around 1 mile with a simple ground plane antenna.

I have both units, Whole House & EDM LCD.

Save yourself some money and time over the long run and go with the EDM, (if budget allows).

I started withe the Whole House last year and it got the job done just as advertised. The down side for me was not so much the freq limitations but the sound quality. I was having a very difficult time trying to keep the sound clean due to interference and who knows what else. I really think a key to a good show is sound quality.

I wish I had known about the EDM when I was shopping for a transmitter the first time. The EDM is just completely in a different class of transmitters. The sound, quality of build, transmit distance and frequency range. They are not even comparable.

You get what you pay for with the Whole House unit and it will get the job done but, the EDM will get the job done and do it right!

I haver the whole house fm transmitter. For me it works well because the freguence is not used in my area and the make up of my nieghborhood limits the veiwable area cars can park. I live on the corner of a "T" intersection so I don't have to worry about broadcasting over a great range. With that said, I do find that I can pick up the signal more that 2000' feet away.

I started with the Whole House model. I farted around with it for a week - moving it to different locations, changing patch cords, plugging it into different receptacles - everything I could think of, and still the signal was weak, noisy and it didn't transmit clearly even to the street in front of my house.

I then picked up an EDM model and the difference is astounding! Don't waste your money - just get the EDM and be done with it!

George Simmons wrote:

I started with the Whole House model. I farted around with it for a week - moving it to different locations, changing patch cords, plugging it into different receptacles - everything I could think of, and still the signal was weak, noisy and it didn't transmit clearly even to the street in front of my house.

I then picked up an EDM model and the difference is astounding! Don't waste your money - just get the EDM and be done with it!

Thanks All!!!!!

I am sold on the EDM.

Many thanks for all your help guy's

Pete. :cool: :dude:

• 2 months later...

Happy New Year, everyone.

Christmas is over but I just received my EDM transmitter, after spending Christmas messing with a Whole House Transmitter without success (that will go into my truck for iPod listening).

Does anyone have a recommendation for an antenna to use with the EDM? Would like to find a low cost antenna I can purchase.

Thanks.

halfast wrote:

Does anyone have a recommendation for an antenna to use with the EDM? Would like to find a low cost antenna I can purchase.

Thanks.

I'm not sure how far you need to transmit but my EDM sitting in the garage on low with the test antenna will easily transmit 600'+ line of sight crystal clear.

I was going to build an antenna for mine but once I started using it with the antenna that was provided I became more concerned about reducing the range.

I'm using a set of rabbit ears I purchased at Radio Shack, measured and extended for the proper length of the frequency I'm transmitting at. I went this route so that if I have to switch frequencies in the future, it will be easy to match up the antenna.

George, Mark, Gary, and everyone,
Thanks for the information. I'm going to give it a try with the "test" antenna that came with the unit and try different locations inside the house. I'll use the power adjust if I have to and maybe give those Radio Shack rabbit ears a shot.

It's great to have this forum and I appreciate the time you have taken to respond. Keep 'em lit.

George,

Can you describe how you connected the rabbit ears antenna to the EDM antenna connector, which is a female RCA jack ?

Do you have a picture of the adaptor you used, or did you just cut the wires and solder onto a male RCA connector?

Just wondering ...

THx,
Scott

The rabbit ears seem like an idea worth trying, especially if you need to get an antenna outdoors to get around obstacles.

This is an adapter I had from a previous project that I picked up from Radio Shack. Not sure what George used but this could work for the application

Attached files 171198=9816-029.JPG

I too had problems with my Whole House FM transmitter (can't they get a better name for their product?).

I have an annoying hum on all of the available frequencies. Time for the EDM!

Stan

Pete, let me apologize if this is redundant but I did not read through all the posts before responding. Last year was my first year animated and I did quite a bit of research on FM transmitters prior to purchasing. I found positives and negatives about all of them so to me it is much like the Ford vs. Chevy debate......Ford wins every time, LOL! Anyway, I went with the Ramsey FM30b. I bought it pre-assembled. I pulled it out of the box, plugged it in to my PC, went outside and tested it in my vehicle, and it was flawless from that day forward to the end of my show. I didn't adjust a single thing and the range with just the stock antenna was awesome. If you google "best unused radio frequency in my area", you should find a site that will tell you the strongest unused frequency to use. I did that, and again, flawless operation. I don't know if this is OK to post this part as I don't want to step on any toes, but I bought mine pre-assembled from "Christmas in Cruces, Las Cruces, NM." Just my two cents. I know other folks have had bad experiences with Ramsey products buy I am thoroughly happy with mine.

Good luck with your purchase.
Corey

• 3 weeks later...

I too have the Whole House FM transmitter, but for me (as was mentioned) is the limited channels.

As for a clear signal...for me it worked good up to 300ft away. I live in Canada were there is what something like 2 people for every square mile...that is Manitoba...but you get the point.....there is no interference with Edmonton about 1 hour from my home.

But there is 1 FM transmitter that is not mentioned all that much....I will see if I can find it and then post a link.

Check this one out....I know a fellow in Langley, BC who is surrounded by radio stations and he said this one gives him a 400 ft radius.

http://www.google.ca/aclk?sa=L&ai=CQiOAOUaWSancFZDCNLDT0dwG94r9JbOC-d8C8autBwgAEAEgtlQoA1CfndfeBGD9iPGAyAPIAQGqBBhP0KJupEo66yBQs0GSoZcREdHYiOvkWrk&sig=AGiWqtxAmgAbABjFkuzJVP34u8f42FH0JQ&q=http://www.mobileblackbox.com