Light-O-Rama Forums

Moving my S4 files to S5 - Channel configuration

Jay Czerwinski

In S4, I had all of my channels listed in order in a way that helps the cascade feature.   Mainly I had a display that uses 4 CCP units where I do not use all of the pixels for geometry reasons.  So from left to right, I have a total strand that looks something like this:

(Unit 1, strand 1, pixel 50 down to 1) - (Unit 1 Strand 2, pixel 1 up to pixel 23) - (Unit 2, Strand 1, pixel 43 down to pixel 1) - (Unit 2, Strand 2, pixel 1 up to  pixel 30) - and so on.....

Because of modularity, I often did not use all 50 pixels on a strand. With the controller centered in the middle of two strands, I would first count down to pixel 1, then on the next strand go up from 1 to the end of the display (e.g. pixel 23), and then repeat on the next part of my display.

So the way my rows looked in S4 from the example above was 50,49,48,...   ...3, 2, 1, 1, 2, 3,....   ...22, 23, 43, 42, 41, ....    ...3, 2, 1, 1, 2, 3,....  ....28, 29, 30,....   and so on     

I would then group the unused channels and the macro channels in rows below.        Then I could do a cascade effect that seamlessly goes across my whole display as installed.  

In S4, I would use the Channel configuration export and then use that to import in to future sequences.    All of my sequences are the same channel config in S4.

Now I have installed S5 and made my Preview Design represent my display, and when playing the show the Preview animation is accurate.  But all of my rows are out of order in the sequencer.   I want them to show the same as in S4.

What is the best way to fix this?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give.

Jay

7 hours ago, Don said:

Create a new Grid View, and re-arrange the channels you want in there. http://www.lightorama.com/help/grid_view_menu.htm

Then save the config to use in other sequences. http://www.lightorama.com/help/grid_views.htm (see bottom)

Thanks Don again - no need to reply if it is true then I understand that the list of channels in S4 simply can not be transferred to S5, and that Grid View replaces this, and I will have to do this from scratch one time and then use that Grid View in S5 as I did Channel Configuration in S4 to update other sequences.

Also, thank you for other posts you have done.  Contrary to my recent behavior with a lot of posts, I do search first and enjoyed your response covering Bulk Channel changes and how they are done in Preview Design!

Edited by Jay Czerwinski

When importing your S4 sequence into S5 about three pages in to the process there is an option to bring any tracks over as Grid View groups. Just select the check boxes.

That assumes you had tracks in S4 of course.

All of my Tracks came in as Grid View groups. I had a lot of S4 groups inside those Tracks and they transferred over too.

On 9/30/2020 at 8:57 AM, PhilMassey said:

When importing your S4 sequence into S5 about three pages in to the process there is an option to bring any tracks over as Grid View groups. Just select the check boxes.

That assumes you had tracks in S4 of course.

All of my Tracks came in as Grid View groups. I had a lot of S4 groups inside those Tracks and they transferred over too.

My channels were in order in the main list and I did it that before tracks existed (or at least before I knew of them).    The main stuff I want in order is not in a separate track.   So I am thinking that I would have to make yet another track in S4 that mirrors that layout, or just do it from scratch in S5.

3 hours ago, Jay Czerwinski said:

My channels were in order in the main list and I did it that before tracks existed (or at least before I knew of them).    The main stuff I want in order is not in a separate track.   So I am thinking that I would have to make yet another track in S4 that mirrors that layout, or just do it from scratch in S5.

Take the time in S5 and create the preview manually. Myself and Phil (helping me) are seeing the results of what can go wrong when importing even a "simple" prop from S4 vis in to S5.

I think I mentioned before that I spent about 2 weeks ensuring all of my props in the VIS were perfect. Exported everything in to S5 and some items were perfect while others for no apparent reason were all messed up.

Looked at the vis and attempted to fix what "could have" been the problem. Reimported the vis and other props were messed up.

I found it much easier to scrap it, wipe S5, reinstall S5 and manually build the preview. Covid show ran perfect and then something went wrong. Now I am (with Phils help) having to repair the what was working preview again and there are some magical moments happening.

JR 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 11:32 AM, dibblejr said:

Take the time in S5 and create the preview manually.

Thank you.   What I have done is make a clean preview, then start a new sequence using the same media file.    Then import the old file in to a different secuence and manually cut and paste things over to my blank one created from scratch.

the new sequence works, but you can lose things like timing grids you might want later.   The import with assigning a new grid works pretty good.  I use that a lot.  With the latest updates in S5, the logic when importing is a bit more obvious but the default all items might not match what you want, but once you export/import the grid you want, you will have what you want.  At least worth spending some time to see if you can get what you need without all of the copy/pasting.