Light-O-Rama Forums

Custom vs Advanced Props Feature Request

dibblejr

I looked in the ? and did not find the answer. I found the book answer but not the physical answer.

I do not see a visible difference between the two.

I am attempting to put my singing pumpkins and customize the node placement just as I did with several other TGB props.

However the customization grids are just to large of a scale. Is there a way that smaller scale/ grid selections could be designed and added?

I have tried the zoom, the sizing as the obvious choices but my nodes are 1" apart and some lines are curved. In some cases I have at least 2 nodes sharing a grid thus I have no place to put a second node since other mouth movement occupy the adjacent grid squares. I am not sure of the scale ratio of the existing grid layout but it would be great if there were a couple more options. 

Thank you

JR

10 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

I do not see a visible difference between the two.

For RGB pixels:

The Custom shape defines both the pixel's physical location and its location in the effect buffer.

The Advanced shape only defines a pixel's location in the effect buffer. You are free to place the physical pixel in any location.  This is ideal for things like snowflakes, where we want the 6 arms physically pointing 60 degrees apart; but in the effect buffer it is very convenient to point all 6 in the same direction - so effects that move left or right move around the snowflake and effects that move up or down radiate in or out.

18 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

I am not sure of the scale ratio of the existing grid layout but it would be great if there were a couple more options. 

I'm not sure what options you would like added. Can you be more specific?

Note that you can always do the layout in Excel or other spreadsheet if that is more convenient, then copy/paste from Excel into the custom grid.

Matt

7 hours ago, MattBrown said:

For RGB pixels:

The Custom shape defines both the pixel's physical location and its location in the effect buffer.

The Advanced shape only defines a pixel's location in the effect buffer. You are free to place the physical pixel in any location.  This is ideal for things like snowflakes, where we want the 6 arms physically pointing 60 degrees apart; but in the effect buffer it is very convenient to point all 6 in the same direction - so effects that move left or right move around the snowflake and effects that move up or down radiate in or out.

I'm not sure what options you would like added. Can you be more specific?

Note that you can always do the layout in Excel or other spreadsheet if that is more convenient, then copy/paste from Excel into the custom grid.

Matt

On question number one. You lost me. I guess I don't understand the buffer. The way it sounds I could populate the pixels any where in the working platform. If that is so, I couldn't. I still had the grid with my picture imbedded just like the custom grid layout. I was not able to place the pixels so they could match what I needed. 

As with the request. My wife actually Hair  my jpeg so it almost worked perfect in the smallest grid platform available. Not perfect but at least it somewhat resembles my pumpkin. It took me all day and 6 attempts but I believe I got it. Still working on labelling the channels in an attempt to avoid the out of order grid import. 432 pixels is a lot to label.

Thank you for the reply and if I see that import grid problem i will make a short video. I am hoping I have that resolved.

JR

42 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

You lost me. I guess I don't understand the buffer.

All motion effects are 2-dimensional effects - they work on a matrix of pixels. For example, it is pretty easy to see that a pixel tree is really a 2-d matrix. In fact, all pixel props have a 2-d matrix associated with them - an effect buffer that controls how effects are applied to the prop's pixels. The mapping of physical pixels to the effect buffer is what you see in a prop's Layout View. With the advanced shape, you have complete control over how this mapping takes place.

Hope that helps,

Matt