Light-O-Rama Forums

Nudge Pixels

scodavis

Hello,

I still use (and intend to continue using) LOR S4 because it works very well to me.  In a couple years I will be adding some pixel props using Pixie 16's and Pixels from LOR and the various coro products from HC.

As you can see from the image below, I plan to put my pixel props into the visualizer (most are less than 50 pixels per string, and I will use DMX channels for the rest for programming purposes.

I have noticed there doesn't seem to be a way to select a single CCR pixel and nudge it (yes, you can drag it with the mouse, which is poorly implemented).

I have no problems with manually editing the fixture or prop file with a text editor, and getting the pixel coordinates from the original Photoshop image, but I notice that the X,Y grid of the Visualizer files is completely different than the X,Y grid of the Photoshop resolution.

Are there ANY good ways for precision placement of individual pixels so they exactly cover the dots on the screen?

-Scott

pixelstuff.jpg

Edited by scodavis
Additional Information

22 hours ago, scodavis said:

Hello,

I still use (and intend to continue using) LOR S4 because it works very well to me.  In a couple years I will be adding some pixel props using Pixie 16's and Pixels from LOR and the various coro products from HC.

As you can see from the image below, I plan to put my pixel props into the visualizer (most are less than 50 pixels per string, and I will use DMX channels for the rest for programming purposes.

I have noticed there doesn't seem to be a way to select a single CCR pixel and nudge it (yes, you can drag it with the mouse, which is poorly implemented).

I have no problems with manually editing the fixture or prop file with a text editor, and getting the pixel coordinates from the original Photoshop image, but I notice that the X,Y grid of the Visualizer files is completely different than the X,Y grid of the Photoshop resolution.

Are there ANY good ways for precision placement of individual pixels so they exactly cover the dots on the screen?

-Scott

pixelstuff.jpg

S4 use the VIS and draw DMX strings.

Decide how many you need. Draw one continuous line but bend it so your pixel dots can be larger and drag them in to place.

Thats how I built all of my custom props in S4

JR

Just now, dibblejr said:

S4 use the VIS and draw DMX strings.

Decide how many you need. Draw one continuous line but bend it so your pixel dots can be larger and drag them in to place.

Thats how I built all of my custom props in S4

JR

Use that screen picture as your background picture.

If you need additional help let me know.

Its pretty straight forward in the VIS

JR

I have not used S4 in three years, but BobO has or had a program for cleaning up arrangements of the pixels on a prop.  It was called SharpIn (or something like that if  remember).  And if you are gutsy, you can manually edit the positions in the xml file.  Yes, I have done that and it's a pain in the neck - but produced a perfect layout...

Thank you to everyone who responded.  My desire was to have the pixel placement be as precise as possible.  I, thus, was able to develop the following strategy:

1. In Visualizer S4, create a new prop with the required number of pixels (in this case, I did 5 strings of 50 CCR pixels).
  2. Through testing, I was able to find that the coordinates of the PSD file and the Visualizer prop file (opened in a text editor) are different by a factor of 15.
  3. So, for EACH pixel, I did the following:
    1. Using the marquee tool and Info window in Photoshop, I opened my background PSD and got the X,Y coordinates of a single pixel
    2. I multiplied each coordinate by 15
    3. In the Prop file (in a text editor) I put the new coordinates.
  4. Rinse and repeat, 250 times total.  Attached is my final product.

It was a lot of work and time (about 2 hours) but the end result is a perfectly accurate representation.

capture.jpg.afd2c15e68d401d20885f77bbac8cd79.jpg