Light-O-Rama Forums

Resealing Pixels

MattJ

Folks

I have a few thousand square pixels that have succumbed to the ravages of Texas summer storage. 

Each square pixel appears to consist of a plastic tray with the LED & circuit board sitting in it that is, during manufacture, filled with some kind of clear resin (I assume) that cures and makes them weather proof.

In the heat of summer, this resin has cracked. The pixels are electronically fully functional (I was shocked - emotionally, not electrically ;) ) but they are clearly no longer weatherproof.

Before they go out again this season they will need to be resealed. I don't see putting them out in their current state as an option. Water WILL get in and they will corrode. So I'm fixing to do something....

They are all sitting in coro so they are ripe to be placed LED down, wires up and just have some form of liquid sealant painted/pored/squirted/sprayed on the back.

I figure as long as that sealant is non conductive... and doesn't chemically react with the circuit board or the resin ... the worst thing that will happen is it either peels off... or they crack more next summer!

I have little to lose so I grabbed a can of flexseal last weekend and I'm going to try it out on 100 pixels this weekend... unless anyone here has dealt with something similar and has a different product or method to recommend??

I've heard permalac is a thing or any other clear lacquer may work? The cracks are pretty fine and will not take much to cover over. FlexSeal that can hold up a boat drilled with 1/4" holes may be overkill.

Open for any advice from anyone who knows better! 

Thanks in advance. Cheers MattJ

Let me say this. I had one pixel in a strand of a hundred that sprung a leak last year and every time it rained every one beyond it would quit. Couldn't see the exact point of entry so I covered it hot glue. To my surprise, it made through the season. 

If you have a string with many or all the pixels in that condition, I bet you will be chasing stuck pixels all through December.

@PhilMassey - I have hundreds that are cracked maybe 1000+. Replacing all the stings is financially not something that is going to happen... I have to try to reseal them! :) I am thinking I can do better than hot glue... as they are not mounted or outside yet, if I can use something more liquid it will fill the cracks and I can wishfully dream that I can salvage something from this.

Onward with the great FlexSeal vs Lacquer experiment of 2020!   

• 3 weeks later...

Circling back on this to close out incase anyone comes back to it. 

GE Silicone II for the win. Pixels sealed and working well. 

Appreciate the pointers everyone.