Light-O-Rama Forums

Light Specifics

Celipops

Hi,

Let’s take this from the top.  I am new to this, and I have a small area I can decorate.

Lights.

After watching soo many videos I made a list of what I’d like to achieve. Seems methodical. I have NO IDEA what the item would be called that’s I see in the video. - None of the videos lists the lights used.

I like the solid bar light I see in the roof soffits.  No idea what it’s called. Help?

I like the lighting mounted on pillars that reminds me of an equalizer. Same as above

I have my own 9’ spooky tree I’d like to light up where I can control the light strings from base to branch

How are the fairy lights achieved? Viewed more for end of show.

Once I get a handle on the lights, I can map and determine how many controllers i'll need.

Thanks in advance .

Your descriptions are at least partially vague, so it's a little hard to answer your question.  Some screen captures would help.  BTW this forum has a very small upload capability, so better to upload photos to a web site somewhere and post a link.

37 minutes ago, Celipops said:

I like the solid bar light I see in the roof soffits.  No idea what it’s called. Help?

I don't know what you mean by that - could be several things.

38 minutes ago, Celipops said:

I like the lighting mounted on pillars that reminds me of an equalizer. Same as above

That is most likely a bunch of strings or strips of smart pixels.  Smart pixels allow controlling each pixel independently.

39 minutes ago, Celipops said:

I have my own 9’ spooky tree I’d like to light up where I can control the light strings from base to branch

If you mean controlling for example one branch at a time, you could do that with traditional light strings or RGB dumb nodes.  Dumb nodes means that you can make the string any color you want, but the entire string is that color.  If you mean controlling on each branch being able to control each light long the branch (a wave effect for example), you would need to use smart pixels.

42 minutes ago, Celipops said:

No idea what you mean by that.

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Your descriptions are at least partially vague, so it's a little hard to answer your question.  Some screen captures would help.  BTW this forum has a very small upload capability, so better to upload photos to a web site somewhere and post a link.

I don't know what you mean by that - could be several things.

That is most likely a bunch of strings or strips of smart pixels.  Smart pixels allow controlling each pixel independently.

If you mean controlling for example one branch at a time, you could do that with traditional light strings or RGB dumb nodes.  Dumb nodes means that you can make the string any color you want, but the entire string is that color.  If you mean controlling on each branch being able to control each light long the branch (a wave effect for example), you would need to use smart pixels.

No idea what you mean by that.

1- The bar lights may be either CCR ribbons or Pixels 

2- could be firesticks (non rgb) , fire sticks RGB or even vertical matrix's

Everything else , you are spot on.

OP= you probably wont be able to post a picture here  but if you have a hot for the m like photobucket or even a video of the lights you are referring to and link it here you will get more and better replies.

To much information in this hobby at times is still not enough.

Welcome to the addiction

Don't forget to take in to consideration the software license requirements and the types of controllers needed for the different types of light. Ask before purchasing the wrong lights and or controllers.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

On 9/4/2020 at 4:59 PM, Celipops said:

Hi,

Let’s take this from the top.  I am new to this, and I have a small area I can decorate.

Lights.

After watching soo many videos I made a list of what I’d like to achieve. Seems methodical. I have NO IDEA what the item would be called that’s I see in the video. - None of the videos lists the lights used.

Once I get a handle on the lights, I can map and determine how many controllers i'll need.

Thanks in advance .

My suggestion to you for better clarity is, post a link to each video you watched with the type lights you are referencing, under say the first video link, you tell is which specific light{s} you are looking at and wanting to know about, like the bar lights in the soffit, this way we could perhaps see exactly what you are looking at and could possibly give a better answer to your inquiries.   At least it'd be somewhat of a help and a start to know what you're actually looking at.

Thanks for the reply's - I clipped together a 20 sec video in adobe premier of 3 of the lights im fixated on.,

the red bars under the soffit, the equalizer, and the tiny points of fairy lights.

here's a sharable link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nwb4pm98Sdiwd_BQWRI9iFgdWc0sqLik/view?usp=sharing

9 hours ago, Celipops said:

Thanks for the reply's - I clipped together a 20 sec video in adobe premier of 3 of the lights im fixated on.,

the red bars under the soffit, the equalizer, and the tiny points of fairy lights.

here's a sharable link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nwb4pm98Sdiwd_BQWRI9iFgdWc0sqLik/view?usp=sharing

See Screen Capture below.  This is what we get when trying to access your link.   When you set the parameters up in Google, you have to set the permission to Public, otherwise only those specifically invited by a link sent from the access point would be able to access it.  Share must be set to public for everyone to be able to see it. 

This is why I suggested the link to the actual videos as they are usually public, and if the video is by someone on the LOR forums we know, it'd be much easier to find out exactly what type lighting it is, who sells it, and what requirements it may require to operate with LOR protocols or how they set it up for use in their display.

That's why I initially posted asking for the video links and lighting in said video you were looking at specifically.  It would be much easier for us to possibly find out exactly what you're seeking, a pieced together video is fine, but you'd need to supply to whom the original video piece came from, again, so if it could possibly be a LOR Forum member, more info on what you're seeking could hopefully be known and answered.

Here's the screen capture {currently no one is going to be able to view your video}.

Access Denied.JPG

Sorry, rookie mistake.  I think its public now. 

Also, as a backup, as suggested  - here's the original links

http://www1.lightorama.com/halloween-show/

the red lights you see in the soffit. in the first 10 seconds.

https://youtu.be/4thVCspAfK4

While this example may not be a light-o-rama product, I have viewed other videos that had similar on a smaller scale and that is ok for my goal. This has the lights in columns that remind me of an equalizer.

Also - The above video also has what I refer to as fairy lights that look random, light little pinpoints of light.

If the link from google drive doesn't work this time around, I'll download and post on my website. celipops.com

ksccc - Yes, that's exactly what i mean, to control each branch or at least the form of the tree.  I have a tree i bought from spirit halloween that was originally in their swap display. I am attaching a picture.

Thank you for trying to help me sort this out. 

Dibblejr = Thank you for the advice, on licenses and controllers, definitely  will follow that suggestion. 

Halloween 2020 - Toss a Coin.

I am almost done with the motion sensor for the cauldron. I'm following the same setup as last year with the pirate comes to life video. The idea is, that when the coin is tossed to the Witcher, the motion sensor kick on a 2 min light show for the kids. 

spooky tree.jpg

cauldron.jpg

Your link now functions fine.  I'm not sure about this, but I somewhat get the impression those "bar lights" may be RGB spot lights mounted behind some type of translucent enclosure to get that effect.  I might be wrong, but that's what it appears to be to me.  The Audio Spectrum bars seem to be made of the same type material and also may use RGB spotlights, as the ones in the Soffit as well as the Audio Spectrum lights look to be identical to me.

As for the fairy lights, they appear to be RGB nodes since they can be individually controlled by how they have them sequenced to "sparkle" in the way they do.

Just my observation and these are all available through LOR.  However, I do believe doing all this at once would be a very expensive undertaking, but if you've got the funds to pull it off and get the PRO License for the software, go for it.   If not, you may have to build things up a little at a time each year.

Good Luck!

Ok great on the link.  I owe it all to coffee.

“ RGB spot lights mounted behind some type of translucent enclosure” Thanks for the direction, I will look this up. Special mention to “audio spectrum bars”  What a better description to use going forward. I feel as though it will take years of training to learn these terms… I need to find my own Farouk El-Baz Crash Course LOL

Ok, Yes - RGB nodes programmed for sparkle. Check!

Ok, I’ll start a shopping list – While I don’t have a limitless budget, I did not host my annual crabfest this year. So I have a fair amount of wiggleroom. I had two things on the draft board. Pneumatics or Lighting.   Lets go with lighting this year.

17 minutes ago, Celipops said:

Ok great on the link.  I owe it all to coffee.

“ RGB spot lights mounted behind some type of translucent enclosure” Thanks for the direction, I will look this up. Special mention to “audio spectrum bars”  What a better description to use going forward. I feel as though it will take years of training to learn these terms… I need to find my own Farouk El-Baz Crash Course LOL

Ok, Yes - RGB nodes programmed for sparkle. Check!

Ok, I’ll start a shopping list – While I don’t have a limitless budget, I did not host my annual crabfest this year. So I have a fair amount of wiggleroom. I had two things on the draft board. Pneumatics or Lighting.   Lets go with lighting this year.

If thats the Matt Johnson we all know of, he normally have a video of the props he makes on his youtube channel.

Also in S5 ME rows make it very easy to control each branch of a tree. I have 2 10'X9' GE singing monster trees and because I populated the node in the wrong order in one of them, save from taking the nodes out of the branches I just created ME rows for this season. Because I actually want individual control I will be removing them and placing them correctly for 2021. What happened is I used the custom design and the picture on the grid was backwards. If it was as simple as a left to right change to get the individual control i would do it, I did have to change the ports around on the controller to get all nodes to light. However because of the design the branches would all start on the top so a chase will not work until I either flip the tree over and replace nodes or leave the tree as is and replace the nodes.

The second tree will be done correctly for sure.

Here is the test of the tree after I finished it a few days ago. 

JR

Edited by dibblejr

JR – I will scour later to find his channel – Thanks for heads up. I have learned more for Youtube channels the past 5 or so years than I originally gave credit for.

I have added S5 ME to the list. Also – *Adding Chase to lighting dictionary.

Your tree looks good, its synchronized to the music nicely. Thank you for sharing.

Looking at the video stop motion, I think the sofits are just spill from the drip edge strings. note the very beginning when they are dim. also later, when the Green (far Left) comes on.