Light-O-Rama Forums

About to jump in, your thoughts?

SkyShepherd

Hi folks, I've been browsing and dreaming on the LOR site for a few years.  I am finally ready to make the jump into my own system :)

With the summer sale on now, I am considering the basic ShowTime Central Starter Package, with the SD card and a Pixel Tree kit.  Can I control the tree with the STC, or do I need more?

TIA

2 hours ago, SkyShepherd said:

Hi folks, I've been browsing and dreaming on the LOR site for a few years.  I am finally ready to make the jump into my own system :)

With the summer sale on now, I am considering the basic ShowTime Central Starter Package, with the SD card and a Pixel Tree kit.  Can I control the tree with the STC, or do I need more?

TIA

STC is a Basic+ level License (4 ID) , Plus an AC controller (16 chan)

Pixel Trees use an PRO License  have the Pixie8 (needs 8 ID's)  controller RTG (attach power and Network) .

You will need a RED (HS) adapter.  The MP3 Director might fit better (assumes you WANT to use a SD card)

• Thanks 1

You can control the tree and all of your show with a computer, laptop or desktop. 

If you have one or two , you would not require a direct of any type.

As my friend above states , you will need a red RS485HS adapter and a Pro License.

See my thread at the top of the General Hardware section to assist you with setting up the pixie control. There is a video so you can skip the long instructions

JR

• Thanks 1

My suggestion is always the same for a beginner. Take a picture of your house/yard. Draw strings of lights and/or props you wish, then decide how you want them to look. Color changing...as all one color, intelligent colors so you can change within a string or regular incan or led strings. How you want to see them run will determine which type of lights to buy. This will also dictate your hardware requirements and as already mentioned, the software license level too. Most of us on here suggest starting out small your first year. The software has a serious learning curve and believe it or not, time is already growing short. You need to get busy right now! Not to scare you but once you know what controllers you are going to use, you need to figure out your cable infrastructure. One mistake most new people don't catch is knowing and understanding how the communication works. There are two types and they are NOT to be confused. Both use the same type cables but they are NOT used the same. Depending on what you decide, you may have either RS485 or TCPIP/E1.31 communications. They are NOT compatible with each other. Most all if not all LOR controllers can work with RS485 and yes, that uses Cat5 cables. Somehow identify your cables. If you use TCPIP/E1.31 controllers, you also use Cat5 cables but they are connected to the computer differently as is the RS485 cables too. RS485 is serial comm and it will go through a USB adapter that you purchase from LOR. E1.31 goes to your computer's TCPIP/Network port. Most of us connect via a GB Switch which is a wired router. There are other options too. Welcome to the madness!

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/4/2020 at 12:38 PM, dgrant said:

Welcome to the madness!

Thank you for the advice, my apologies for not writing this until now.  I am looking forward to the adventure.  I finally settled on two 16 A/C controllers, a  pixel tree and 2x100 bullets with a pixie controller.  I bought sequences for 3 songs but plan on attempting my own sequencing for next year's show.  My goal is 6 songs.  I may be a little insane.

Happy New Year! All the best to you and yours in 2021

• Like 1