Light-O-Rama Forums

Light-o-Rama with no music?

Jon Hanson

I've always wanted to slowly build-up something a little more dynamic with what I put on my house and Light-o-Rama seems to be the way to go. My only concern is that I don't really care about music synchronization and that seems to be the focus with these products. I would just like to program dynamic light sequences but starting with few elements at first (I can see how this can get expensive quickly) and then expand over time. Are there any others out there that do Light-o-Rama without music and just light sequencing?

Last year I bought an RGB Christmas tree kit. I decided that it wouldn't make much sense trying to program a 7' tree to music so I just go with motion effects on the tree. I had a few ports left over, so I added a couple of arches to my display. No music. Looks great. Doesn't disturb the neighbors. For this year I wanted to add another Pixie8, just like the one that comes in the tree kit, and maybe do some house outlining. But, alas, LOR doesn't offer the finished controller.

Bob

39 minutes ago, BobW said:

Last year I bought an RGB Christmas tree kit. I decided that it wouldn't make much sense trying to program a 7' tree to music so I just go with motion effects on the tree. I had a few ports left over, so I added a couple of arches to my display. No music. Looks great. Doesn't disturb the neighbors. For this year I wanted to add another Pixie8, just like the one that comes in the tree kit, and maybe do some house outlining. But, alas, LOR doesn't offer the finished controller.

Bob

It isn't very hard to put a Pixie8 together. Get a CG-1500 box - $12 and a 350w power supply - $20 and maybe 20 minutes of your time.

My first two years of doing any sort of Christmas light show was strictly animation on a 12 x 50 pixel tree.  It was a bunch of short segments with what I call my twinkling Christmas tree in between.  Ignore the music on the video - that was added in YouTube so that it was not simply silence.

23 hours ago, Mr. P said:

It isn't very hard to put a Pixie8 together. Get a CG-1500 box - $12 and a 350w power supply - $20 and maybe 20 minutes of your time.

On 8/26/2020 at 6:39 AM, BobW said:

Bob

I have pixie build videos along with parts lists and resources.

I also build them for others at no cost if you ship to me and pay the return shipping.

Normally a one day turn a round depending on when I receive the controller board.

If you build it yourself using my parts list a beginner can probably build one in a few hours (correctly like my OCD).

For most Mr. P  20 mins won’t get you anything I would put outside.

I think in my video it took me 15 or 17 mins to build.

The longest part of a bulls is the pigtails. 

Of course you either have to supply the parts from my list or pay me for my stock parts.

Mesage me for details, you will have to purchase the controller pcb though and have it shipped to me.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

8 hours ago, dibblejr said:

I have pixie build videos along with parts lists and resources.

I also build them for others at no cost if you ship to me and pay the return shipping.

Normally a one day turn a round depending on when I receive the controller board.

If you build it yourself using my parts list a beginner can probably build one in a few hours (correctly like my OCD).

For most Mr. P  20 mins won’t get you anything I would put outside.

I think in my video it took me 15 or 17 mins to build.

The longest part of a bulls is the pigtails. 

Of course you either have to supply the parts from my list or pay me for my stock parts.

Mesage me for details, you will have to purchase the controller pcb though and have it shipped to me.

JR

JR,

Is there a link to the build videos?

Bob

20 minutes ago, BobW said:

JR,

Is there a link to the build videos?

Bob

I will PM you. They are short videos taken with my cell. About 9 mins

I will try to find another PM I sent to others with the parts list as well

I attached you to my PM thread. You will see a link to one of my videos, follow that and the rest of the build videos will be there.

Let me know if it works.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

30 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

I will PM you. They are short videos taken with my cell. About 9 mins

I will try to find another PM I sent to others with the parts list as well

I attached you to my PM thread. You will see a link to one of my videos, follow that and the rest of the build videos will be there.

Let me know if it works.

JR

Thank you. I found the post with parts list, now I just have to follow the links and check them out. Then go hunting for the videos.

Bob