Light-O-Rama Forums

Weird stutter problem

bdwillie

I think I have a computer problem more than a software problem but don't know where to ask.  I am working between two computers, one for sequencing that is inside the house, and one in the shed that actually runs the show.  Both connected on a home LAN system, and both backed up nightly to a server.  I have been using these same two computers for several years now and this is a new problem  Using S5.4.2.  This problem surfaced in the machine that runs the show out in the shed.  About three windows updates ago, when using sequencer and playing a sequence, the sequence will momentarily stop, then resume. sorta like a stutter, about every 5 to 7 seconds.  When this occurs, the moving red bar showing where you are at in the sequence will momentarily stop, music stops, light output stops.  Then all resumes again for about another 5 to 7 seconds.  This also happens if control light is turned off and just working with a sequence.  I am pretty positive this is a problem with the computer itself, just can't fathom what.  Task manager does not have the CPU, or Memory usage maxed.  This does not happen with the machine inside that the sequencing is done on.  The music and sequence files are on the individual computers, not on a network folder so I don't think it is a network problem.  If I create a show with the same sequence file and the do a show on demand this DOES NOT occur.  Only real difference in set up is the computer inside the house has dual monitors, with the sequencer open in one and the preview open in the second, and the shed computer has 1 monitor, with the preview window closed.  Any ideas on what to check on the machine?  HAve made sure the video driver and audio driver is up to date.  Kinda stumped!

Make sure the video and audio drivers are up to date.  Remember that when running a show, most of the video stuff is not needed - hence the reason that it works when playing a show as opposed to running Sequencer.  Just my educated guess.

I recently was having this computer regularly doing a Blue Screen of Death when running my video editing software.  A search of that software forum suggested updating the NVIDIA drivers (which were two years old).  Updating the drivers and problem seems to be solved.  Note that video drivers generally are NOT updated with Windows updates.

• Thanks 1

I frequently see a pause similar to what you describe when playing from Sequencer and I have a pretty good machine with an above average graphics card.

It never happens in the show after the playback files are created so I don't particularly worry about it.

Sequencer is pretty busy when you are playing and rendering in real time.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Note that video drivers generally are NOT updated with Windows updates.

Glad to know that!  I had assumed they updated also.  Will go digging to see if there is a manufacture updated driver.  Hope it is that simple, if not, it won't kill me😁

16 hours ago, PhilMassey said:

I frequently see a pause similar to what you describe when playing from Sequencer and I have a pretty good machine with an above average graphics card.

It never happens in the show after the playback files are created so I don't particularly worry about it.

Sequencer is pretty busy when you are playing and rendering in real time.

Glad to know it's not just me!  Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Just an update, can't update video driver on the show computer, according to NVIDEA, A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver & Support Assistant is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. BUT NOW since updating LOR to 5.5.4 the sequencing computer in the house is experiencing the same thing.  I get the same message when trying to update it's driver too

Edited by bdwillie

Are you using an add-on video card or the one built in to the mother board? I had a problem like that on the refurb computer I bought that exceeds what's needed to sequence and run shows except for the on-board video driver.  I couldn't even install S5. I was having the same issues in not being able to update the onboard video driver. So I bought a cheap video add on card ($25) and installed it. I haven't had any problems since, and now I CAN update the drivers on the add-on card if I need to. 

Just a thought.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tlogan said:

Are you using an add-on video card or the one built in to the mother board? I had a problem like that on the refurb computer I bought that exceeds what's needed to sequence and run shows except for the on-board video driver.  I couldn't even install S5. I was having the same issues in not being able to update the onboard video driver. So I bought a cheap video add on card ($25) and installed it. I haven't had any problems since, and now I CAN update the drivers on the add-on card if I need to. 

Just a thought.

Good Idea!  May as well go that route!  They are onboard video on both machines.  Will root around and see what I can find for a replacement

Fortunately I have a Micro Center close enough to visit, so I had pretty good range to pick from. I do miss being able to run to Circuit City. Best Buy doesn't even carry near as much of the computer components as they used to. 

Edited by tlogan