Light-O-Rama Forums

Help! Just got the controller and can't make the lights work!

vshawkey54

Yes, it would help.

What Unit ID did you set the controller (if you changed it from the default of 01)?

5 minutes ago, vshawkey54 said:

So we have programmed a sequence, added a preview and we run it and it works and you can see it working on the preview. How do we get that to talk to the controller? We know the controller talks to the computer because we’ve tested it on the hardware utility. There must be some sort of setting we are missing??

You have to set up Network Preferences

As mentioned above a controller will comm with HU as long as its connected. It does not mean it will comm with the sequencer until NP is set.

There is a tab in S5 on the right for NP. Go to that, select the LOR tab and add the unit ID, speed 56K should be good for you and select the same network that HU found it.

That WILL fix your problem.

Hope this helps

JR

Thank you JR, where is this NP tab? In what program? Is there a LOR network app? I don’t see this in any of our programs. 

Network Preferences can be accessed several ways.  If you have the LOR control panel running (the most likely red light bulb in the system tray) right click on it and select Network Preferences.  Or in the Start Menu, it will be one of the programs under Light O Rama.  Or if you are in the S5 Sequencer, on the tab on the right for Control Lights, one of the options is Network Preferences.  Or if you set up desktop icons for most of the LOR programs, you might have created an icon for that.

I actually found the NP and the settings you suggest were set up correctly already so I’m not sure what to do next. 

On 7/29/2020 at 4:25 PM, ebrown1972 said:

Have you clicked control lights in the top right corner of the sequencer? A little more info may help. What type of controller are you using, (AC or a pixel controller)? 

Yes we have the control lights on and we have an AC controller 

7 hours ago, vshawkey54 said:

yes, we have created a working sequence, and a preview and made sure all the channels match. We play the sequence and yes, we have used the hardware too and when we test the lights in the hardware utility everything works fine. I just opened a ticket with the help desk so hopefully they can help us.  Thank you for your feedback on the version, we will definitely look into S4.  Thank you for your help!

Like someone stated, in S5 you have to create a preview and add props before a sequence will play or control lights.  This is another reason I suggested S4, in S4, none of these steps are necessary in the sequencer, you just create a sequence and can play it, and it should work as long as everything is set up correctly within the SE itself   It is so much easier to work with, and I think your autistic child will find it easier and less antagonizing/daunting/frustrating to get lights and things working in S4.    S5 is just so complex that it even frustrates the pros on here at times.

I'd definitely look into switching to S4 presently, I really believe it will save you and your child a lot of frustration in getting things working more quickly,

5 hours ago, Orville said:

Like someone stated, in S5 you have to create a preview and add props before a sequence will play or control lights.  This is another reason I suggested S4, in S4, none of these steps are necessary in the sequencer, you just create a sequence and can play it, and it should work as long as everything is set up correctly within the SE itself   It is so much easier to work with, and I think your autistic child will find it easier and less antagonizing/daunting/frustrating to get lights and things working in S4.    S5 is just so complex that it even frustrates the pros on here at times.

I'd definitely look into switching to S4 presently, I really believe it will save you and your child a lot of frustration in getting things working more quickly,

That compiled with a black screen which kills my eyes.

At messy in S4 for AC controller sequencing the platform background is grey.

As my friend Orville says, S4 is so much easier than S5 esp without pixel controllers where S5 has some great built in features. You cannot use those features with an AC controller.

JR

Remember guys, if they have some sequences made in S5, that they will have to start over. S5 Loredit files can't be converted to S4 format.

For a new person, I would highly recommend AGAINST learning S4 and then next year having to unlearn S4 in order to migrate to S5.  Learn S5 to start with and avoid the unlearn / learn something new process.

Yes, S5 is different, but if starting from scratch, it should be no more difficult to learn than S4.  Similar to converting from our idiotic measurement system to the metric system.  Converting from one to the other is difficult for most people, but if you learn the metric system to start with, it is FAR easier to work with.

37 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Similar to converting from our idiotic measurement system to the metric system.  Converting from one to the other is difficult for most people, but if you learn the metric system to start with, it is FAR easier to work with.

In the UK, we went metric in the early seventies, I adjusted and was happy. In 1981 I moved here and had to "unconvert".  Then over the next 30 years I have had to live with a mixed up mess. Still, I'm finally comfortable in either, but I still would prefer metric, except for mph.

And now back to your regularly scheduled topic.

18 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Install TeamViewer and I can remote with you tomorrow.

Thank you! I'm working now and am on the West Coast, when would work for you?? I really appreciate your help!

33 minutes ago, vshawkey54 said:

Thank you! I'm working now and am on the West Coast, when would work for you?? I really appreciate your help!

I should be home and completed with dinner by 1900.  I will PM my phone number to you.

6 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

I should be home and completed with dinner by 1900.  I will PM my phone number to you.

Sounds great, thank you! :)

Solved her problem.  Sequence (preview) set for Unit ID 01, but the one controller set for Unit ID 03.  Changed the controller Unit ID.

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing what he comes up with. I too, have a child, now adult, with autism. They can certainly surprise you!

16 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Solved her problem.  Sequence (preview) set for Unit ID 01, but the one controller set for Unit ID 03.  Changed the controller Unit ID.

Glad you got her and the boy up and running Jim.   I thought this was also one possibility of their issue, but not knowing S5 well enough yet, I wasn't sure how to change the channel ID buttons to the current controller.  

I've been playing with the PE in S4, and that's confusing enough to get working, once i figure out the PE in S4, then is the time I may upgrade and migrate into S5, but for this year I'm still sticking to S4.

Yes it took him about 5 minutes to figure it out and we are forever grateful!! We have one happy boy.. I took a video of his sequence and I will post it soon!

• Like 1