Light-O-Rama Forums

PVC Candy Canes

Star Lord

Anyone have good luck with making 2 or 3 foot tall candy canes out of PVC or PEX?   I have some really bright mini Lights from Holiday Light Express but that don’t shine through enough with a schedule 40 or 30 PVC pipe.  I could try PEX but I have trouble forming it into the shape of a candy cane and holding that shape because it likes to coil. 

thanks,

James

If you can use 5 foot tall, Lowes has a plastic candy cane with the red stripe through the clear tubing and the light strings fit inside real well and are perfect for brightness, I always get them on their after christmas sales, I think I have around 40 of them now, I think they go on sale for $1-3 range. I just thought, you can cut these down real easy if 5 foot doesn't work for you. And I'll bet they are seasonal as far as availability.

Keith

I tested PVC years ago - it sucks for putting lighting inside the PVC.  It attenuates the light massively, and causes a very severe color shift towards yellow.

As for PEX, I bought some 100 foot coils of PEX years ago and NEVER could get it to resist coiling.  However, Home Depot sells 10 foot straight pieces of PEX under their SharkBite brand name.  Much easier to put a bend in it than to get the coils to straighten.  I have been using the Home Depot PEX for my arches since 2014 and am very happy with the look.

You could take the pex or the lights themselves and attach them to the pvc and they you can use that same PVC setup, get some 12" or longer spikes and at setup put the pvc over the spikes and you have several problems solved.

JR

i added pixels to both PVC and PEX.  For the PEX, I drilled a hole in halfway through and used square pixels, and that gave a nice glowing effect.  Although i can see that making a candy cane would be hard to bend.   possibly, the 1 inch straight pieces could possibly be heated and bent.   For PVC, i drilled the holes all of the way through and used bullet pixels.   PVC wouldn't bend either, but you use 45 degree elbows to do  the same thing.   

But i added candy canes last year, and just used 10mm coro ones from Boscoyo and worked perfect for what i needed.

examples of all in my signature 

My arches use PEX that have CCP nodes drilled in from the back side.  I agree that it makes a nice defused lighting.  Trying to do that with PVC results in a string yellow shift and the light mostly eaten up in the PVC.

2014_Arches_crossing.jpg

Lit_Arch-2.jpg

On 7/20/2020 at 11:31 AM, k6ccc said:

My arches use PEX that have CCP nodes drilled in from the back side.  I agree that it makes a nice defused lighting.  Trying to do that with PVC results in a string yellow shift and the light mostly eaten up in the PVC.

2014_Arches_crossing.jpg

Lit_Arch-2.jpg

I'm looking to build arches from scratch and I really like your idea. Hoe do you prevent them from twisting when you go to bend them?

How many did you use per arch? I'm assuming they are 10', right? Did you do the end to end ones?

Edited by rgardner518

My arches are made from 10 foot pieces of 3/4" PEX tubing from Home Depot.  Each arch has 50 Cosmic Color Pixels on 2 inch spacing.  That means that there is 98 inches from the the first to last pixel.  That leaves just a hair under a foot of unlit pipe at each end - which is perfect for slipping the ends over rebar to mount the arches.  When I originally built them, I tied a string between the ends, then laid the arch on the ground to drill the 50 holes for the pixels.  After a few years, some have twisted a bit so some arches have the pixels coming in from the top and some from the bottom.  Does not affect the lighting.  More in a bit...

14 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

My arches are made from 10 foot pieces of 3/4" PEX tubing from Home Depot.  Each arch has 50 Cosmic Color Pixels on 2 inch spacing.  That means that there is 98 inches from the the first to last pixel.  That leaves just a hair under a foot of unlit pipe at each end - which is perfect for slipping the ends over rebar to mount the arches.  When I originally built them, I tied a string between the ends, then laid the arch on the ground to drill the 50 holes for the pixels.  After a few years, some have twisted a bit so some arches have the pixels coming in from the top and some from the bottom.  Does not affect the lighting.  More in a bit...

You you use the end to end rgb or the non end to end?

Each arch uses a single string of 50 CCPs with the controller between two arches.  That way the two strings from the controller each control one arch.  In the photo below, you can see the black trash can bag between every other arch (the middle one is a bit hard to see because the orange tree blocks that view).

2014_6_arches.jpg

4 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Each arch uses a single string of 50 CCPs with the controller between two arches.  That way the two strings from the controller each control one arch.  In the photo below, you can see the black trash can bag between every other arch (the middle one is a bit hard to see because the orange tree blocks that view).

2014_6_arches.jpg

Interesting...see i thought a controller could control more then just two strands. May I ask which you are using?

Mine are the original CCPs which can only control two strings per controller.

13 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Mine are the original CCPs which can only control two strings per controller.

They still still them I see. Show I invest? No pictures...are they that much more different then the new ones?

http://store.lightorama.com/orcocori.html

Edited by rgardner518

I would get the new ones if it were today.  I got mine on the first day that they were available.

• The topic was locked