Light-O-Rama Forums

Question about CMB 16D DMX power supply

Bwright0912

Just bought the CMB-16D DMX board and one 12 dc 20 amp power supply, I started thinking and was wondering do I need two power supply’s one for each bank or can I split the one power supply to run both banks of the computer board? 

DEB411E6-B9A8-42DD-970C-9F926A5A2749.jpeg

Only you can answer that question. It all comes down to the lights you are using, how many lights and how much power they use. You will have to sit down and do a little math to figure what your requirements are going to be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Only you can answer that question. It all comes down to the lights you are using, how many lights and how much power they use. You will have to sit down and do a little math to figure what your requirements are going to be.

Thank you for your reply it does help a lot!!!

Nice thing about the CMB series is you can always split it (add the second Supply)  later.

The 16 is a bit odd  (to us dumb RGB users) in that there are 8 lines per bank (That is 2 dumb RGB + 2 spare )

For Halloween, I use a lot of ports individually. Skeleton Hands 1 ot per hand.  Plastic Pumpkins, 1 out for home made ,4 white strip segments glued onto1/2  PVC to replace the 120V bulb socket. You can even cut up Mini-lights into 12V clusters (calculate how many bulbs make 12V. 10 bulb strings  use 10 @ 12V bulbs

3 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

The 16 is a bit odd  (to us dumb RGB users) in that there are 8 lines per bank (That is 2 dumb RGB + 2 spare )

Remember that the CMB-16 came out before RGB was that common.  My first two CMB-16 controllers were controlling warm white LED light rope for years before I converted  any of it to RGB around six years ago.  By the time the CMB-24 came out, RGB was far more common so making a controller specifically laid out for RGB operation make far more sense.  And of course the CMB-24 can also still be used for non-RGB applications, but the wiring pin outs are not as convenient.  In my case with my three CMB-16 controllers are are used year round for my landscape lighting, I have a couple non-RGB lights that are controlled by channel 16 on various controllers, and the other 15 channels are used for RGB sets.  For example, the white spot lights that illuminate the flags are on channel 16 of one controller and there are three small cooling fans for my column lights that are controlled by channel 16 of another controller.

Ditto, I use the CMB24D  year round for my landscape lighting. I use them in stand alone mode. I have the sequence start when powered on and they are plugged into a wifi outlet which can be programmed or controlled by an app on my phone.

45 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Ditto, I use the CMB24D  year round for my landscape lighting. I use them in stand alone mode. I have the sequence start when powered on and they are plugged into a wifi outlet which can be programmed or controlled by an app on my phone.

I played with stand alone mode years ago, but do not use that mode.  All of mine are controlled by my server during the off season, but I have interactive sequences so I can't run stand alone.

• The topic was locked