Light-O-Rama Forums

Adding video to LOR

Keith P

I am fairly new to all of this, I have a video projector and I was wondering if there is a way to tie it in with the LOR light show. Having a video playing along with the lights.

Yes, you can.  Simple answer is that you use the video file instead of an audio file as the media file.  Hook up the projector to the show computer, and some config settings.  I can't give you any more detail as I have never done it.  There are people here who have and should be able to help.

Like Jim, I have never used video in my show, but having played around with it a little i can add that you will need an advanced license for full screen playback and will need a compatible video format.

http://www1.lightorama.com/showtime-sequencing-suite/#levels

I just ran a test with an  mp4 I had lying around and it worked, The supported formats are shown in the media file loading dialog. Sequence/Media file

Search the help file in S5 for more info on using video in a show.

Someone else will have to chime in on projector setup.

Hardware wise, your show computer should have the ability to have two video outputs..one for your monitor and one for your projector.  Here is a old post that covers most of the basics:

http://forums.lightorama.com/topic/40966-lor-video-projection-setup/?tab=comments#comment-378735

Edited by toddm1919

I too have been researching this and I "might" try it this coming season. As already stated above, a video output dedicated to the projector. Also, a very bright projector but do not use an LED type. Depending on what type of projection you will do will make the determination of what kind of projector. For example, if projecting to just a garage door, you might be able to use a normal projector but if you are going to do the entire house then you need to look at "Short Throw" projectors. Do not look at "Ultra Short Throw Projectors" as the image won't be bright enough. You'll need to get a 1080P HDMI signal to the projector via either cable or wireless HDMI. Now wireless, you need to look at high-end HDMI receiver/transmitters due to the latency issues with many of them. Protecting the projector out in your yard requires a water resistant enclosure but it "MUST" have very good ventilation as in cooling fans. The projector generates a ton of heat therefore the cooling. Projector security means it needs to be secured when you aren't outside. They are not cheap so plan ahead. Normally they are mounted in the exact same spot each night therefore mounting or locating it needs to be planned for re-use each night if taking it inside after the end of the show.