Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX Network Preferences problem

sumptin7

I am looking to control some DMX lights along with the rest of my LOR lights. But when i go to network preferences, DMX tab, then click on a universe to change it to the correct com port. The entire window stops working and closes before i can change it. I have tried resetting the program and computer multiple times. No issues changing setting in the LOR tab. Is there something i can do to get around that?

Kevin

To control DMX stage lights, you need a second, separate LOR adaptor on a second com port and a crossover cable to convert LOR to DMX.

LOR  is on cat 5  pins 4,5, and 6, and they need to go to XLR pins 3,2 and 1 respectively.

The second adaptor will be on AuxA and com port set to none in the LOR tab.

In the DMX tab use a separate universe, and in the settings you will enter the adaptor ID, ( look in device manager), and raw DMX protocol.

Two corrections on what Phil said - although nothing he said addresses Kevin's issue.  On the crossover cable, LOR pin 4 goes to DMX pin 1, LOR pin 5 goes to DMX pin 2, and if you use the common wire, LOR pin 6 goes to DMX pin 7.  Secondly, the DMX adapter has nothing to do with any settings on the LOR tab.

I can't give you a good answer on the DMX tab in Network Preferences.  Are you using the Simple setup or the Advanced setup version (displays 16 universes at a time)?

When i first open the panel it opens in advanced, when i click to go to simple this pops up and then the program completely closes when i click on the OK. When i first got S5 i was able to get into those settings and change them. So i have no idea what has happened.

Screenshot (49).png

That type error is sometimes fixed by a simple restart of the computer. If all else fails try uninstalling and reinstalling S5. Your data should not be affected, but always backup first,

That's an issue with Windows and the installation of LOR software.  Uninstall and then re-install.  If that does not fix it, please contact the help desk and we'll send you the registry wipe program which will clear it up.

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2020 at 8:36 PM, k6ccc said:

Two corrections on what Phil said - although nothing he said addresses Kevin's issue.  On the crossover cable, LOR pin 4 goes to DMX pin 1, LOR pin 5 goes to DMX pin 2, and if you use the common wire, LOR pin 6 goes to DMX pin 7.  Secondly, the DMX adapter has nothing to do with any settings on the LOR tab.

I can't give you a good answer on the DMX tab in Network Preferences.  Are you using the Simple setup or the Advanced setup version (displays 16 universes at a time)?

So, reading this... if in dmx wiring whiteorange is data +, orange is data - and whitebrown/brown is ground

Does that translate to how my CTB16PC accepts the input to blue is data +, whiteblue is data - and green is common?

If I put my CTB16PC's into DMX mode using the software setup does this change the pins to use whiteorange, orange and whitebrown/brown like native dmx devices?

1 hour ago, MichRX7 said:

If I put my CTB16PC's into DMX mode using the software setup does this change the pins to use whiteorange, orange and whitebrown/brown like native dmx devices?

First of all, you don't do anything to a LOR controller to "put it into DMX mode".  Most LOR controllers will accept DMX commands just as easily as they accept LOR commands.  Some of the newer LOR controllers have switches or jumpers to select LOR or DMX pinouts.  Those switches or jumpers have nothing to do with the controllers ability to process both LOR and DMX commands.  What those switches do is select which wiring pinout the controllers use.  For background, when LOR started building controllers, there was not a standard for DMX using a RJ-45 connector.  At that time, Cat-5 cable was not overly available and it was expensive.  As a result a lot of people used standard telephone cable with RJ-11 connectors, and LOR built the controllers to accept those connectors and used the center two pins.  With RJ-45 connectors, LOR continued to use the center two pins for data (pins 4 & 5 on a RJ-45 connector).  When the DMX standard expanded to allow RJ-45 connectors, they chose to use pins 1 & 2 for the first data circuit and optionally pins 3 & 6 for a second data circuit.  Pins 4 & 5 are unused and pins 7  & 8 are data ground (if used).

So, pins 1 & 2 on the DMX end, connect to pins 4 & 5 on the LOR end.  Don't worry about the grounds, DMX does not require it (although it is often used), and LOR does not use it.  LOR does use pins 3 & 6 for power on some controllers, so you could in theory connect the DMX ground to the LOR power ground (pin 6 if  remember right), but it is not needed.

• The topic was locked