Light-O-Rama Forums

Windows commands

k6ccc

In S5, if you have a sequence that has a Windows command saved, when trying to play the sequence in Sequencer, the Sequencer apparently attempts to confirm that it can run the Windows command.  It does not actually run the command as far as I can tell, but tries to.  That is certainly not needed when sequencing.  The only work around is to remove the Windows command and HOPEFULLY remember to put it back.  This is particularly a pain when sequencing on a different computer than the show run on - and the command that is suupposed to be executed only exists on the show computer.

Request, can you either delete the test of the Windows command when playing, or change it so that there is a popup advising that the command could not be run, but then allow playing the sequence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jim,

I have MIIP commands in every sequence and have never seen this behavior.. Whenever I play Sequencer, it just plays, and it does send the command. I can see it change the text file. 

Or are you talking about a different command.

That is exactly the command.  On my sequencing computer, while sequencing ANY time I play a segment of the sequence S5 complains that it can't run the windows command and will not play.  I have to delete the command, and then I can do my sequencing.

Like I said, mine just plays, always has, and it processes the command. In the Win command setup window, what state is selected, mine is Start Minimized. with Focus, third one down.

Ok I get it now. My show and Sequencing machines are one and the same. If I move the Miipcmd file out from it's proper location I get the same popup you describe.

Would installing MIIP on the Sequencing box work as workaround, without having to change every cmd. File paths would have to be the same though.

Actually thinking some more, you might just be able to put a copy of the file in the location it's looking for even if you had to create that file path manually.That would keep the sequencer happy  and do no harm.

Still would be useful to be just able to toggle Wincmd  off globally when you don't need it.

Edited by PhilMassey

Correct.  I have three computers here at the house that have LOR installed on them.  1)  My Family Room computer where almost all sequencing is done, 2) My Show computer which runs the show from mid October to early January (and is powered off the rest of the year), and 3) my server which runs the landscape lighting show the rest of the year.  On all three of those, the LOR files are in a mapped network drive of L:\ which is really D:\Shared\LOR on the server.  So any change in the L:\ drive by any of the three computers is immediately available to the other two.  The Windows command is trying to execute C:\Users\lor\AppData\Local\MIIPclient\MIIP.CMD %SEQUENCE_FILENAME_NO_EXT% (and can not be changed). 

I'll bet that creating the miipclient folder in appdata\local and putting a copy of miip.cmd in there will satisfy Sequencer.

It may.  I will have to log in as administrator and give my normal user account access to the lor account's appdata\local directory.  I do have MIIP installed on this computer.

1 hour ago, PhilMassey said:

I'll bet that creating the miipclient folder in appdata\local and putting a copy of miip.cmd in there will satisfy Sequencer.

Looks like that worked.  Took a couple passes between logged in as the administrator and logged in as my user account, but appears that it worked.  Thanks for that idea Phil.

Still would be nice to have a switch in Sequencer to be able to turn it off.

24 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Still would be nice to have a switch in Sequencer to be able to turn it off.

Plus one on that.

Hopefully I will rememberer this thread when I start putting my S5 show together.

Thanks gents.

JR

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

It may.  I will have to log in as administrator and give my normal user account access to the lor account's appdata\local directory.  I do have MIIP installed on this computer.

This one confuses me.  Every time miipclient starts, it should check that all the files it needs are present and if not create them.   miip should create C:\Users\lor\AppData\Local\MIIPclient\MIIP.CMD instead of manually. 

28 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

This one confuses me.  Every time miipclient starts, it should check that all the files it needs are present and if not create them.   miip should create C:\Users\lor\AppData\Local\MIIPclient\MIIP.CMD instead of manually. 

Here is the catch.  I am sequencing under the Jim account, but the show computer runs under the lor account (both logging into the same domain).  Although I have MIIP installed on the sequencing computer, I essentially never run it there, and running it under my account would put it under c:\users\jim\... rather than under c:\users\lor....  The lor account normally never logs into the sequencing computer, so there was no c:\users\lor\AppData\Local\MIIPclient directory (and under normal circumstances the jim account could not access it anyway).  So the solution was to create that directory under c:\users\lor, and then give the jim account access to it.  I think I could have logged in as lor on the sequencing computer and run MIIPclient, which as you said would have created the directory structure, but I would still have needed to grant access to the jim account to that directory structure.  Make sense?

• Thanks 1

In the next release, there will be a new Sequencer Preference that controls whether Windows shell commands are run in:

1) the Sequencer and Show Player, or

2) only in the Show Player.

Thanks for the feedback!

Matt

18 minutes ago, MattBrown said:

In the next release, there will be a new Sequencer Preference that controls whether Windows shell commands are run in:

1) the Sequencer and Show Player, or

2) only in the Show Player.

Thanks for the feedback!

Matt

Thank you very much Matt!