Light-O-Rama Forums

S5 superstar integration with SE and visualization issues

jhains

Moving from S4 to S5 and I am having S5 Superstar Integration and visualization issue.

Pixie 8 using 2 channels at 100 pixels each.

Created two 100 pixel props in preview consisting of 2 segments each using Lor unit ID for each port.

Added the props to the sequencer

Selected the row of one and chose to insert superstar effect.

Superstar opens and I opened a superstar S4 file from last years display for this prop that I had to export to a lms file, copy and paste into SE to get it to work.

I then set the destination pixels to 100 in the scale area (after selecting all and saving as a different file)

SS only shows the 100 pixels in visualizer but will only play 50 of them.

When saved back into the sequencer it only shows 50 pixels in the preview.

Another prop I have is 100 pixels but it is set up as a DMX mode E1.31 controller and I went through the same process as I described (except it has 12 segments) and it worked just fine.

I can export the superstar file to an LMS file and it has 100 pixels so it is configured properly but I don’t want to have to do the copy paste thing every time I change it. The computer I am using is a new build and has nothing on it but S5.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by jhains

1 hour ago, jhains said:

Moving from S4 to S5 and I am having S5 Superstar Integration and visualization issue.

Pixie 8 using 2 channels at 100 pixels each.

Created two 100 pixel props in preview consisting of 2 segments each using Lor unit ID for each port.

Added the props to the sequencer

Selected the row of one and chose to insert superstar effect.

Superstar opens and I opened a superstar S4 file from last years display for this prop that I had to export to a lms file, copy and paste into SE to get it to work.

I then set the destination pixels to 100 in the scale area (after selecting all and saving as a different file)

SS only shows the 100 pixels in visualizer but will only play 50 of them.

When saved back into the sequencer it only shows 50 pixels in the preview.

Another prop I have is 100 pixels but it is set up as a DMX mode E1.31 controller and I went through the same process as I described (except it has 12 segments) and it worked just fine.

I can export the superstar file to an LMS file and it has 100 pixels so it is configured properly but I don’t want to have to do the copy paste thing every time I change it. The computer I am using is a new build and has nothing on it but S5.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Did it work in S4?

It sounds like you are trying to manually add the pixie, don't. Add it in the preview design tab and not the grid preview. You assign the first unit ID and the software will assign the rest. You cannot  manipulate the pixies by only creating 2 unit IDs.

The reason why I ask is you may have to go in to HU under advance and select/ reselect the 100 pixels per port. 

That should work, if not see below.

You will have to set the pixie up in S5 for 100 pixels in the preview grid.

If that doesnt work set it up as a pixcon16, just use the same unit ID's as the pixie8. You will have 16 ports in the sequencer but it should work. Just ensure you set it either way for 100 pixels.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

see this. At the time I made this I didnt know anything about S5. But it pretty much will match up.

22 hours ago, dibblejr said:

see this. At the time I made this I didnt know anything about S5. But it pretty much will match up.

I never ran the visualizer in S4 and I just exported the SS file to a lms file and pasted into the SE. It ran just fine.

The issue this year is the S5 preview showing only 50 pixels.

I tried to set it up both manually and automatically. The first attempt was by selecting the pixie 8 and, setting the unit ID, and letting it do its thing. 

The pixie is running 100 pixels just fine. I verified this by exporting the superstar file to an lms file and pasting it into the SE.

When I do this the preview works just fine.

If you do the setup correctly and insert a superstar effect try to just do an instant sequence and tell me if your SS visualizer preview shows all 100 pixels sequenced.

Then close it, save it and let it populate you sequence editor track. Run play and see if the preview model shows all 100 pixels.

Like I said it is strange that one of my other props worked just fine.

I like your idea of trying to set it up as a pixcon 16. I will review your notes, check everything again, and try that tonight.

Thanks 

1 hour ago, jhains said:

I never ran the visualizer in S4 and I just exported the SS file to a lms file and pasted into the SE. It ran just fine.

The issue this year is the S5 preview showing only 50 pixels.

I tried to set it up both manually and automatically. The first attempt was by selecting the pixie 8 and, setting the unit ID, and letting it do its thing. 

The pixie is running 100 pixels just fine. I verified this by exporting the superstar file to an lms file and pasting it into the SE.

When I do this the preview works just fine.

If you do the setup correctly and insert a superstar effect try to just do an instant sequence and tell me if your SS visualizer preview shows all 100 pixels sequenced.

Then close it, save it and let it populate you sequence editor track. Run play and see if the preview model shows all 100 pixels.

Like I said it is strange that one of my other props worked just fine.

I like your idea of trying to set it up as a pixcon 16. I will review your notes, check everything again, and try that tonight.

Thanks 

Not quite sure if I understand where your problem is.

If it is in SS go to SS and under "tools" go to "configuration" and set the pixels to 100. (if you are trying to sequence yourself).

If you only have 50 pixels out of 100 in your S5 sequence how is it that the preview works? If your prop is set for 100 pixels only 1/2 of it would be working.

If the pixie is showing 100 pixels you do not have to set it up as a pixcon, the pixie is fine.

If your pixie is working fine in SE and you imported it to S5 but you have 100 RGB rows in S5 it is fine. Your problem would be in SS and not having it configured to 100 pixels.

Also from my experience importing props from SE to S5 most often is problematic and mush easier to re create the prop in S5.

Did you create or borrow your SS sequence?

More information is better than not enough in this hobby.

JR

I checked my superstar setup and it is set up for 100 pixels. I generated this myself using the SS instant sequence to just give the prop some color effects 4 years ago in S4. Even when I try to do it from scratch using instant sequence it will still only display 50 pixels in the preview. The config for the prop that worked and the prop that doesn't are exactly the same. The only difference is the one that worked is using a E1.31 DMX based controller. I am going to have to just stick with the exporting to LMS file method and cut and paste like I had to do in S4. If I have more time I may try to do it as a DMX controller and see what that does but for now I have enough to do trying to convert everything over to S5.   

I figured it out. It was in superstar scaling. Originally it was set as source 100 destination 50. I had changed the destination to 100 but it wouldn't work. I had to toggle the scaling on the source from 100 to 50 and then it worked.

Thanks for all of your assistance.