Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB 16 Kit

Guest guest

Guest guest

Here is a link to the preliminary version of the kit assembly manual. You will see that the kit includes everything you need except the soldering iron. It even includes the solder (different diameters for different parts of the board) , heatsink compound, triac installation templates that act as light duty heatsinks ....

click here (3Mb PDF file requires Adobe Reader)

Comments are appreciated!

Guest guest

Wow Dan, it looks great! I think it looks great and something I can probably even do myself! It's great that everything comes in one package. Can't wait to see the price point.

Jeff

Guest guest

Dan,

looks great, I cannot wait till i get the kits and get started, i really chomping at the bit with you releasing a little bit more info every couple of days :]

the instructions were very detailed i have an associates degree in computer and electronics engineering, and i found the of the tips even helpful for me

keep up the good work

bob

Guest guest

Looks great Dan! I too like the idea that all the parts you will need are in the kit. The instructions seem very clear and informative. I am curious about the price too.

Bryce

Guest guest

Very impressive Dan! Great Job!:waycool: Looks easier to assemble then my Ramsey FM25B was."GRRR" I know it may be too early to tell, but will there be two packages available, the Standard package, and the Deluxe Add On package. Or when we buy, we'll also have to purchase the Deluxe Add On kit seperately, to make it a deluxe?

Another great idea and product from Light-O-Rama. Lighting our way to the holiday's.

Guest guest

Looks really good; can't wait. Good detailed manual and all the parts are included. Question though: What is the purpose of the Deluxe Ad-On Parts Kit? How does it change the operation of the CTB 16?

Thanks,

Denny

Guest guest

[align=left]Denny, This may explain. It is in the instructions for the kit.

[/align]

[align=center]Version 1.0 [/align]

[align=center]January 12, 2006 [/align]

[align=center]Copyright © Light O Rama, Inc. 2006[/align]

[align=left]"This kit contains the light duty heatsinks. They limit the total current carrying capability of the controller to 15 amps. 7.5 amps for each of the two 8-channel banks. If you opted to purchase the regular heatsinks, then the full 40 amp current carrying capacity of the controller can be used. 20 amps for each of the two 8-channel banks. [/align]

[align=left]If you opted to purchase the CTB-16K Deluxe Upgrade Kit your controller will also include unit id selection switches, a speed control and the ability to run stand-alone sequences. Stand-alone support means that the controller can be downloaded with an animation sequence that it can run on its own. This stand-alone sequence can control the channels on this controller as well as other controllers connected to it."[/align]

[align=left] [/align]

Guest guest

Scott,

Thanks, I feel like a real idiot now! I was so anxious to get to the manual that I completely overlooked that. Really, I'm not REALLY anticipating these kits.

Denny

Guest guest

I know that post of mine took up a lot of space, and I can delete it. But for the sake of the group, I would like to leave it for explanation reasons only. If Dan doesn't mind.

I was raised on building stuff by pictures. But some of my projects came out really bad. Now I read everything, front to back, small print and all. So don't feel bad.:laughing:

Guest guest

G'day Dan,

The manual looks good. A couple of suggestios for what they are worth...

When specifying current handling capabilities, reference it to a particular voltage, eg 120VAC or 240VAC. This would minimise the potential problem of people, whose power system is based on 240VAC, assuming that the product will support 40A at 240VAC. It might be good to include a small table depicting the various items and their current handling capability at both sets of voltages.

Something that is not clear is whether or not a particular release of firmware is already coded into the PIC. I assume there is.

Also are there are any issues regarding static electricity that need to be considered during assembly.

Regards,

davidt

Guest guest

davidt wrote:

When specifying current handling capabilities, reference it to a particular voltage, eg 120VAC or 240VAC. This would minimise the potential problem of people, whose power system is based on 240VAC, assuming that the product will support 40A at 240VAC. It might be good to include a small table depicting the various items and their current handling capability at both sets of voltages.

davidt

David, it's my understanding that the amperage rating is irrespective of the voltage supply, 120 or 240.

i.e. 120volts gives 2400watts TOTAL load per bank, 4800watts per controller. (20amps per bank)

240volts gives 4800watts TOTAL load per bank, 9600watts per controller. (20 amps per bank)

At 9.6Kw you had better make sure your feeds are up to it :shock:

If I'm way off beam here I feel sure some kind soul will correct me!

Martin.

Guest guest

grandad wrote:

davidt wrote:

davidt

David, it's my understanding that the amperage rating is irrespective of the voltage supply, 120 or 240.

i.e. 120volts gives 2400watts TOTAL load per bank, 4800watts per controller. (20amps per bank)

240volts gives 4800watts TOTAL load per bank, 9600watts per controller. (20 amps per bank)

Martin.
We will double check the specs on things like the connectors. Sometimes they have a lower different amp rating at higher voltages... I believe that the current ratings are based on 240.

Guest guest

grandad wrote:

davidt wrote:

davidt

Martin.

Thanks for the good feedback!

Guest guest

FYI, I've tried to read the PDF document on two different computers and I get a "There was an error when trying to parse an image" on page 15. The rest of the pages seem to come through fine. If it helps, I'm using Adobe Acrobat 6.0.4 (7/25/2005) to read the file.

From what I've seen, I'm pretty sure I will be able to put this kit together (I've recently did the FM25B transmitter).

Thanks for posting the document! I can't wait for the sale to purchase my first 3 LOR boards!

Guest guest

I bought a variable temp Soldering Iron station just for the LOR kit. Haven't ever soldered before. I have old circuit boards that I will practice soldering & desoldering on. The kit directions specify using 20w and 40w. What temperatures would that be equivalent to?

Thanks,

Eve, who is waiting patiently for a flyer in the mail box. Christmas is coming this month! Uh Oh. Wait- if in LOR time, the April sale is in May, does that mean the May flyer will come out in June? :] . I do thank Dan for his patience with all our excitement about the sale. We are like kids and he is Santa. We just can't wait for the arrival.

Guest guest

grandad wrote:

That does not sound correct to me as it would violate ohm's law. It it was for example 2400 watts total then it would be 20 amps at 120 volts OR 10 amps at 240 volts.

TED

Stupid question here because I have been out of the loop for a few months, but the CTB16 kit is not going to replace CTB16D hobbyist preassembled board is it? The reason I ask is that I am comfortable adding the enclosure and wires so I do not need the showtime product, but I am not so confident in assembling the entire board. Thanks!