Light-O-Rama Forums

Need computer help. I bricked my new laptop !

ItsMeBobO

This is so embarrassing.   I have a brand new Velocity laptop which no longer works.  The virus scanner and some utilities are installed and that's it.    My wife wanted to use a wireless keyboard from one manufacturer and wireless mouse from another.  This meant two little receivers.   I could only get one to work so I got a keyboard installer from the manufacturer,  at least I think i did.     Installer said this may not work on your version of windows do you want to proceed?  ooops.   Now none of the four keyboards or mice I have tried are working.  Not even the integrated keyboard or touch pad.   I cant sign on because it doesn't know I want to.   Its deaf dumb and blind and I am stumped.  Do I have to pull the hard drive and boot from another?  I will contact Velocity soon, but want to search for ideas first.

Can you get it to boot from a USB drive with the windows installer created using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool. Then just do a clean Win 10 install. Maybe even a repair would work,

You might need to go into the BIOS or boot menu to boot from the USB.

Would  a  live Linux distro from a USB key get you in to fix drivers, not sure.

I keep a WIn 10 installer on a USB key around for emergencies. 8GB is usually enough.

I would try to see if you can get it to boot into safe mode.  Then you should be able to uninstall that keyboard software and/or restore a recover point (assuming one was created).  Here's a link on different ways to boot into safe mode:

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

I would probably try the one about interrupting the boot process three times in a row.

Phil's advice is spot-on. There's another possibility too. If you can force it into thinking the OS has a problem, it might be able to bring up the Windows 10 utilities, therefore a "repair" function. Try turning it on a couple of times and each time, wait for it to get as far as it goes, then hold the power button down till it shuts off. Do this again, possibly 3 times. If it works, it should being up a special menu that will allow you to repair it. If you can ever get to a command prompt on the screen, you can try this command: "sfc /scannow" without the quotes. That command will force it to look at the OS for corrupted system files and fix them.

Also, if you get to the repair options, you might be able to restore from the backup/restore partition on the factory hard drive. Basically, it'll put the laptop back into the OEN condition you received it in. Also jfuller's advice is the same as mine!

Edited by dgrant

It took several tries of interrupting the boot up sequence three times.  But it worked!   The integrated keyboard and mouse are repaired and it recognizes the usb keyboard.  Thanks guys for saving me from the dreaded "its completely broken" support call where they talk about me afterward. 

• The topic was locked