Light-O-Rama Forums

S5 Archived Props Error

gsmith37064

Wow is this thread one "BUMPY" Road to traverse on! 😮😛🤪🤣

More speed BUMPS here than in MY neighborhood!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I bet your neighborhood acknowledges the bumps at least.

For me and JR, this is a critical issue. I have 7 months worth of work that I cannot access now.

Please keep in mind what has happened in the last 3 months.  COVID invaded the country.  Shut down many companies including LOR.  Dan tried to keep paying his employees for as long as he could.  They managed to have a mad grab sale and hopefully were able to make a bit of money to help them recover.  It is also June, a few months away from showtime.  Take a break for a week and enjoy summer.  The world is far from being normal.

• Like 1

I will when I get a solution to this. It happened to me, then it hit JR. Who is next? You? I doubt it as your tag shows you are running v4.

7 months worth of work is a lot to lose because of bad code.

9 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

I will when I get a solution to this. It happened to me, then it hit JR. Who is next? You? I doubt it as your tag shows you are running v4.

7 months worth of work is a lot to lose because of bad code.

I really have no reason to go to V5 as my display does not contain pixels yet.  I have read the ongoing problems too with V5, and that it is a whole new way of doing things.  I can't believe you have gone 7 months without making a few backups along the way.  That way you only would lose a couple days or weeks - not 7 months.  We don't know if any of LOR's employees tested positive, and if they did, have they recovered or were part of the 100K plus.  It may be one possible reason for a lack of response.

4 minutes ago, radioguy1007 said:

I really have no reason to go to V5 as my display does not contain pixels yet.  I have read the ongoing problems too with V5, and that it is a whole new way of doing things.  I can't believe you have gone 7 months without making a few backups along the way.  That way you only would lose a couple days or weeks - not 7 months.  We don't know if any of LOR's employees tested positive, and if they did, have they recovered or were part of the 100K plus.  It may be one possible reason for a lack of response.

I do have backups. But if I cant open them because when I do, it archives my props... what good is it? I do thank you for keeping this post alive though.

Edited by gsmith37064

2 hours ago, radioguy1007 said:

Misconception- you do not need to have pixels to take advantage of some of the great new tools in S5.

If you have more than one computer you can do what I do try it.

January I tried S5 for the first time. After several years of “not gonna do it”.

My friend asked me to try it so I said “hey I will run my 2020 show with it. I will give it a shot.

S5 and I got off on the wrong foot but then I used my poker chip and cashed it in with gsmith.

He got me up and running and then crash 1. I uninstalled it and gave up.

Then Covid happened so I updated to the latest version then and it ran my show great. I discovered some great tools and more than likely anyone going from S4 to S5 would.

And them the crash the other night, but I never gave up. I am still plugging along.

The tools are cool even if you don’t have pixels but once you get your feet wet and make a pixel prop for your display - you can unleash the possibilities.

Matt and the development team have done well with this. Are there bumps yes but as in life we don’t let a bump stop us.

Its maddening in a fun way

JR

4 hours ago, gsmith37064 said:

I bet your neighborhood acknowledges the bumps at least.

For me and JR, this is a critical issue. I have 7 months worth of work that I cannot access now.

To answer the first statement, yes and no.  We don;t have any on my section, which is classified as a "circle", but in reality it's a horseshoe shape and ends in a straight line road closing the end of it.  And because of the design, it makes a nice 1/4 mile test track for folks when they "beef up" their cars around here.  Which has caused a few accidents.   And the roads that do have speed bumps before they get back here are over-sized, way taller than they should be, but they won't acknowledge that THAT IS A PROBLEM!  Especially if one has to use a standard wheelchair to get around, even the handicap scooters have issues with them.  Will they fix them{or the ruts in the road?} Nope.  But they can sure jack our rent up each year.

As for the 2nd issues, yes, that is a lot of work to lose.  Folks that have not used S5 will not understand that no matter how many backups you had made, once S5 eats your props, it's done, even for the backups that were made.  At least that is how I am perceiving this issue, especially from what I'm reading.  I don't see how any backup is going to resolve this because of some BUG in the coding of S5 that is creating this problem.

And I haven't read anywhere yet, that LOR has hired back any of their folks as yet or re-opened for business as usual.  So the Help Desk may not even be working right now, or if they are, they may be so backlogged because of the shutdown, it's going to take quite a bit of time for them to get "caught up" with the workload.

And due to the Covid-19 pandemic this has brought many things to a standstill.   I ordered 3 packs of screws from Home Depot {and even though they've been open, many of their suppliers have not}.   So I've been waiting quite a while on these screws, I expected them back in early may to build my frames for Ralphie and Zuzu, the 2 LOR Singing Trees I purchased, had to go a different route and find some other screws to use that were in store to finish that.   Otherwise, I wouldn't have my frames built to date, just got an e-mail today that I am finally getting these screws on June 10, which I should have had by May 5.  But due to some things being closed down completely, the screws I ordered were apparently over-sold from what they had, so they went out of stock.  And so, no screws to finish a project I wanted done early so I could get "sequencing done" where I could use them to see the actual real-time results.

Fortunately there was a work-a-round for me by getting a different type screw and color{I order black screws} that wasn't what I wanted, but had to go with.   Unfortunately, it seems there is no work-a-round for the issue with S5 presently.

I wish you folks the best of luck getting this resolved soon, but it might not happen due to the closures that occurred over the past few months.   So folks may want to consider going back to S4 until this issue can be resolved, as that is about the only viable solution I can see for anyone having these issues.

One thing I did when I did install and try S5, was I made sure I kept a copy of the entire LOR WORKING DIRECTORY I had for S4 on an external HD, renamed the folder from LOR to C_LOR-S4 after it copied my files over.  Then when I went back to S4,  I installed S4, then I deleted the current working C:\LOR folder and all of it's sub-directories,  then moved my old S4 copied files back over to my C : Drive, renamed that C_LOR-S4 back to LOR and was back in business with no real time loss, except for the time I messed around with S5.

This is why before I ever go to a different version of the LOR Software, I do this PRIOR to doing the new install, that way if I need to go back, all my OLD FILES are still available and in the SAME EXACT FOLDERS, so I don't need to re-marry sequence to a song/music.

But I'll bet many may not have done this, or if they did, they got so comfortable with S5, they figured, I can delete the older software version back-ups.  And if you didn't back them up or you did but deleted them because they thought S5 would continue to fill their needs, then that was a huge error.   I have some of my oldest sequences from back when I started with I think may have been a later version of the 2.x software and sometimes I'll go back to them and look them over compared to any newer versions I have, but I know I still have some of them, I still have a lot of my S3 versions as well.

I hold onto these backups just in case something might just glitch down the road and need to revert back to a lower or a previous version of the software suite.

But that's just how I do it, others mileage may differ.

Edited by Orville

@MattBrown

Everything is jacked now. I was working on a sequence tonight. Closed it down and reopened it an hour later. It archived everything.

You say you have a fix... release it now. This is getting insanely stupid!

S5 in it's current state is worthless...

@MattBrown

Is there some random left over cache or temp file from other previews?

Somehow I managed to get it restore the archived props on a sequence but it duplicated those props. It also brought in old props that have been removed and deleted months ago. This is why i am wondering about the cache...

So what I want to know is why S5 keeps killing my preview?

Who am I kidding... I will not hear nothing but crickets! 🤬

WORK AROUND: I ended up deleting all the previews and just letting it load from what is in the sequence. I can now get it going.

Update: I just went back into my sequence and started to look around. Yeah I am like a dog with a bone.

I went to the archived props and it listed old singing bulbs again that have been removed awhile back. So I am still wondering if some cache or temp file is janky.

Update 2: It does not work 100% on all sequences. Still trying to figure that one out. I was expecting to have the older sequences from December import their preview like the newer sequences did.

BTW a LOR reg wipe and reinstall did not help either.

Edited by gsmith37064

This has been an issue since 5.3.10. Last year about 2 weeks before my show was to begin all of my group props got archived along with all kinds of other issues. I did get things going and had a show. I too created a help desk ticket on this exact issue last November. I was told the newest release had taken care of the issue but obviously that isn't the case. I have not done any sequencing in quite some time. It doesn't appear that anyone (admins) are really paying any attention or maybe their mind is occupied on something else.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ebrown1972 said:

This has been an issue since 5.3.10. Last year about 2 weeks before my show was to begin all of my group props got archived along with all kinds of other issues. I did get things going and had a show. I too created a help desk ticket on this exact issue last November. I was told the newest release had taken care of the issue but obviously that isn't the case. I have not done any sequencing in quite some time. It doesn't appear that anyone (admins) are really paying any attention or maybe their mind is occupied on something else.

Glad to see other's are seeing it as well. Now maybe if I keep bumping my thread and blasting Matt and LOR, we may actually get it fixed this time. I am at a complete loss as to why the DEV's seem to ignore a lot of issues...

But they are happy to take our money every year or so for renewal just to continue receiving BUGGY software of the latest updates. This will be my last time. The headaches are not worth it. The time spent on creating a show just to lose it due to bad code... NOT WORTH IT!

@MattBrown

This issue was reported last year and you did not deem it serious enough to follow up on? It corrupts our sequences!

Edited by gsmith37064

56 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

Glad to see other's are seeing it as well. Now maybe if I keep bumping my thread and blasting Matt and LOR, we may actually get it fixed this time. I am at a complete loss as to why the DEV's seem to ignore a lot of issues...

But they are happy to take our money every year or so for renewal just to continue receiving BUGGY software of the latest updates. This will be my last time. The headaches are not worth it. The time spent on creating a show just to lose it due to bad code... NOT WORTH IT!

@MattBrown

This issue was reported last year and you did not deem it serious enough to follow up on? It corrupts our sequences!

This was from last year. 

It gives me hope that other people have or will have their work corrupted as well. I know that sounds mean, but I don't know of any other way to make LOR fix this.

I am no longer doing any sequencing because S5 is not stable enough to do any work now without it being garbled up. I was working on a SIA sequence and was 60 seconds into it when I opened it... Archived props bugs. It's just not on finished sequences, which is where I saw it happen up untill now.

It can even happen during the creation of one. 😬

Edited by gsmith37064

@MattBrown

This has now reached the point to where I can no longer even use S5. If this cannot resolved in a timely manner WITH communication, please just refund me the cost of S5.
It's riddled with way to many BUGS and the communication from LOR is non existent. As of now, I have lost 7 months of work.

I have never worked with a company that has no communication.

1 hour ago, gsmith37064 said:

@MattBrown

This has now reached the point to where I can no longer even use S5. If this cannot resolved in a timely manner WITH communication, please just refund me the cost of S5.
It's riddled with way to many BUGS and the communication from LOR is non existent. As of now, I have lost 7 months of work.

I have never worked with a company that has no communication.

Have you tried to contact Dan Baldwin himself via a PM or E-Mail about this?  He may not even be aware of this issue that you and others are having with S5.

I always said S5 wasn't for me and now I'm ecstatic I NEVER went over to that platform.   Seems it has more issues than any version prior to the S5 versions.   I think perhaps they need to rethink S5 and make it more like previous versions and divorce the PE and SE as one system.   That's the one part of S5 I dislike the most, just made it miserable to do anything with it, at least for me.

Good Luck, but I doubt you'll see any refund of the software licensing, as that is stated it's non-transferable and non-refundable in the FAQ's.

Edited by Orville

8 minutes ago, Orville said:

Have you tried to contact Dan Baldwin himself via a PM or E-Mail about this?  He may not even be aware of this issue that you and others are having with S5.

Funny you say that... Are you Dan the CEO? 🤣

Edited by gsmith37064

41 minutes ago, Orville said:

I always said S5 wasn't for me and now I'm ecstatic I NEVER went over to that platform.   Seems it has more issues and any version prior to the S5 versions.   I think perhaps they need to rethink S5 and make it more like previous versions and divorce the PE and SE as one system.   That's the one part of S5 I dislike the most, just made it miserable to do anything with it, at least for me.

S4 was like XP and Windows 7... S5 is like Vista.

I will say this, when it does run, it runs well. But once you hit a bug, they all come out like roaches. S5 could be great... Should be great. It's had what, 2 years to mature? But they need to listen to their users and not ignore them. Communication is key! And I think I have been very verbal with communicating to them.

I swear they have variable's in their code that says

If Bug=0  then goto run great

if Bug=1 then goto let's mess with the user

if Bug=2 then goto you are screwed

if Bug=3 then goto we just hate you and eat your props

You gotta admit... that's pretty darn funny!

Edited by gsmith37064

Funny you say that... Are you Dan the CEO? 🤣

No, but I have contacted Dan on occasion for software and even shipping charges.  And he's always been very kind and easy to work with.   When you can't get results from the lower echelons, sometimes you have to go to the top brass.  Just saying....

S4 was like XP and Windows 7... S5 is like Vista.

I never liked Vista either and is why I'm still with Windows 7.  And I totally despise Windows 10, plus it won't even run on ANY system I currently own.   But I've used it other places, just don't like it.