Light-O-Rama Forums

Network Limits

griswald

Hello! We are planning on expanding our light display this year (isn't everyone 🙂) and we've run into a problem. From what I can tell, LOR is limited to 16 networks. Is that true?

If so, we need one more network and I'm not sure how we'd go about doing that. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

As far as LOR networks, that is correct - 16 networks.  However, you can do A LOT on 16 networks - potentially on the high side of 100,000 channels.  However, you can also run stuff as E1.31 which the current LOR software limits to 999 universes or just over a half million channels.

Are you really running that many channels?

26 minutes ago, griswald said:

Hello! We are planning on expanding our light display this year (isn't everyone 🙂) and we've run into a problem. From what I can tell, LOR is limited to 16 networks. Is that true?

If so, we need one more network and I'm not sure how we'd go about doing that. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

I run 14 Networks. And am now also using DMX which will allow for more expansion. 

As my friends Jim states above, I cant imagine adding enough to go to the 16 networks since as I convert my non RGB stuff to RGB I am gaining more room in the Networks though I will be using E1.31 for most of my singing faces. I had 10 NW's for my Covid show.

You must be making a huge jump. How many Nws do you currently have and what's being controlled by them. It takes a lot of controllers/ pixels to get close to using a NW.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

You running a theme park sized display?   I just can't fathom needing more than 1-8 networks for an average home display.

Like others are asking, what is each network actually running and operating?  You might be able to cut your networks by half or more, depending on what you're running on each one.

4 minutes ago, Orville said:

You running a theme park sized display?   I just can't fathom needing more than 1-8 networks for an average home display.

Like others are asking, what is each network actually running and operating?  You might be able to cut your networks by half or more, depending on what you're running on each one.

I am guess more than 1/2. I have so many because of my pixel heavy props and using the pixies to control them. Once the pixielink comes out, I can drop to 7-8 NW's. 

You can run a ton of AC controllers an just 1 maybe 2 NW's.

Imagine Disney,

JR

2 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

I am guess more than 1/2. I have so many because of my pixel heavy props and using the pixies to control them. Once the pixielink comes out, I can drop to 7-8 NW's. 

You can run a ton of AC controllers an just 1 maybe 2 NW's.

Imagine Disney,

JR

Only reason I'm running 3 networks is because my CTB16PC Controllers are older units and can't do the faster {500K} or Enhanced options, and since I have older CCB100D 5V Controllers and RGB Strands, as well as the new Pixie2D's that control the LOR Singing Trees, I opted for 3 networks to separate everything and just make it easier to know what's what in my display in case of any issues. 

If it weren't for that, I could have gotten away with a single network for what I am running if my CTB16PC's were of the G3 family, but still probably would have used 2 and put all the RGB items on the 2nd Network.  

But because of the controllers I'm using now and what each controls, that's why I'm going 3 Networks for my 2020 Christmas Display this year, that and using the new G4 Director will help keep things in better order, at least for me.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the quick responses. Perhaps we don't have things set up in the most efficient manner, so any assistance there would be GREATLY appreciated. 

Here is what we have:

We have 16 (8) strand pixel trees, each running a Pixie16. These are set up with 4 trees per network for a total of 4 networks.

We have a 250 strand pixel matrix using 8 Pixe16's set up on 8 networks.

We plan on adding a 30 arch tunnel that runs 73 pixels on each arch and were assuming this would run on 4 Pixie's and 4 networks.

Again.....thank you!

Well, you do have quite a bit of stuff!  But you did not give pixel or channel counts - that is what matters, not the number of controllers.  Example, saying you have 16 eight strand pixel trees will vary a lot depending on how many pixels are in each strand.

At 1000K speed, an ELOR network can handle at least 2,400 pixels.

You are likely a candidate for the PixieLink when it is released.

Our 16 pixel trees are 8 strands of 50 pixels each

The matrix is 250 strands of 50 pixels each

The new tunnel will consist of 30 arches with 73 pixels per arch.

If my math is correct, that would be 63,720 channels. 

If there is a better way to design our network, I'm all ears. I'm am not an expert in this by any means. 

Love this forum, thank you!

A quick look is that you are being pretty conservative on network loading (but I did not take the time to detail that as I am leaving for lunch).  I realize that adding or deleting controllers sort of needs to be done one controller at a time (can't put half of a controller on a network and the other half on another network).  So that can make it harder to fully load a network...

More after lunch.

1 hour ago, griswald said:

Our 16 pixel trees are 8 strands of 50 pixels each

The matrix is 250 strands of 50 pixels each

The new tunnel will consist of 30 arches with 73 pixels per arch.

If my math is correct, that would be 63,720 channels. 

If there is a better way to design our network, I'm all ears. I'm am not an expert in this by any means. 

Love this forum, thank you!

Looking at it , it appears you are using all pixies

For what you are showing you should be able to get 2 trees per pixie 16 per network 4 per nw (keeping it friendly) That will free up some networks. You can have quite a bit of cable from tree to tree. I have a 200' reach on some of my props without failure

Your Matrix can use 5 networks, it is doable at 2400 per network at 1000k (its pushing it out a little farther than I like but may work, no guarantee but worth a shot) if nothing else you can add a nw or two from the net savings.

You may be able to get the arches on 2 networks if I am doing my common core math correctly

You will/ should be under the 16 NW max if you conserve the pixies

As I eluded to earlier, you may want to start looking at DMX like a pixcon16 to start taking care of some of the work, or hold out for the pixielink which for people like you and I with a pixie happy environment will be a much welcomed piece of hardware. That will open up a new ballgame for you and I.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

• The topic was locked