Light-O-Rama Forums

Sharing 5 minute voice over Audacity Project

tlogan

HI, All -

Since I have some time, and since I've had SO MUCH invaluable help, I wanted to give something back.  I put together an Audacity project file template that has a "show starts in X minutes" voice over placed at every minute marker for 5 minutes. I've also uploaded a project file in which I added, what I believe to be, free and royalty free, background music so that you can see what I did and how I did it.

The voice over is from a project I was involved in when I was building my Home Theater and was a regular on the AVS forums. A bunch of us got together and paid a professional to create a whole list of phrases, primarily for home theater. HOWEVER, there was enough generic stuff on there that I was able to create the every minute drop-ins.

Last year, I had one slightly less than half hour show that I ran ran every half hour and had some dead time in between. This year I've added some new sequences, so I have enough for two mostly different half hours shows.  I do not believe that I will need the entire 5 minutes between shows, but it didn't add any significant time to doing the project.

In my sample project, I tried to set up the music so that you can cut it down to the length you need. Keep in mind, that you want to start from the end (the one minute and show starting) and work back to the amount of time you need. I'm thinking I WILL probably use the entire 5 minutes before the first half hour show starts, then I'll cut it down to whatever length I need for in between shows.

I think you'll see that if you use the template, you can drop your own music choices in there pretty easy. I found Audacity VERY easy to use and learn. Feel free to respond with any questions.

Voice only template:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zdoSTldZMIoiMzzmGHBq6itK-DWAKIY9/view?usp=sharing

Sample with background music:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U3pdO84A0pyYudAR_dbiZUqgMHcBct0R/view?usp=sharing

Feel free to use them as you wish and I hope you enjoy it.

• Like 1

OK, now that I tried to download the files, it looks like the project files won't do you any good. I'll upload them as mp3's and yo should be able to import them and edit as yo wish. The only problem is that yo can't see how the tracks are laid out when yo add the background music. When you export as mp3's, all the tracks are merged in to two stereo tracks.

Sorry about this, but again, feel free with any questions. "No good deed..." huh?

EDIT: mp3 links:

voice over only template:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jQ1dlH3Ps1ihpm-WibefeqnJwwkdfaRS/view?usp=sharing

sample with background music:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kacFGplkdUf7HwNpcZ4E1vs7dXWyXWUh/view?usp=sharing

Edited by tlogan
added mp3 links
  • Like 3

I do something similar to this but I use the drive-in intermission tune and adjust it for the time I need.  In between announcement you can light different parts of your display. By default it's 10 minutes long, so you cut off what you don't need.  The dancing hot-dog was always a favorite with me.  I miss those days at the drive-in...

• Like 1

I have some of those drive in ones, too. I grew up in south New Jersey, the home of the first Drive-in. There were at least 7 drive ins within 10 miles of where I grew up, so yeah I miss them, too. 

5 hours ago, jfuller8400 said:

These are really cool!  Thanks for sharing them.

My pleasure. Let me know if you have any questions.

If I copy the code to a file and try to open it it gives me an error that it can't find the files in the folder called Voice over_data, something about 8 files.  Is there any way of zipping those files, I really would like to see the whole project.

Thanks!

the files that it's looking for are the following:

e0808127.au

e080851c.au

e0808737.au

e08081bd.au

e08082e4.au

e0808978.au

e08085ca.au

e08083cf.au

@lanopie -

Yeah, that's why linked to the mp3s. Silly me, I would have thought everything would be packaged together. Now I see the structure of where the data is kept. 

I uploaded the zipped file here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nn1ozqtFBX_CJxO2wXWD3EsyJr2pNkI1/view?usp=sharing

I think if you download and unzip to the 5 Minute Voice Over_data directory it will create e08 and d08 subdirectories and the data is in the d08 subdirectory, The e08 contains only the d08 subdirectory.

The above is the one that contains only the voice over at each minute.

I also uploaded the one with the background music here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hzHgxB6uAoua2RdXBSho1vhMXDr6UV_z/view?usp=sharing

I had to give it a different name because they would ALL be named e08 so I called this "The Show Starts e08" so that you can know the difference. you should be able to do the same...unzip it to the data directory for the Show Starts au file. 

Give it go and let me know how it goes. If it works as I expect, I'll update the first post with the data files.

@tlogan

Yep that did it, got it to work.  I've attached a file with the structure if it can help someone else.

Back at Christmas Expo in Biloxi, there was an instructor that was giving a course for Audacity, I can't remember his name, I had lunch with him and he explained his business was doing voice overs, the voice sounds like him.  Do you have his name?

structure.txt

@lanopie -

Thanks for checking it all out for me. Glad it's working for you. 

It's a good thing I like you. And I have some time.

I had to go to the AVS forums, dig up a thread from 2006 (2006!), read through 236 (out of 274) posts to find THIS:

Greg O'Neil

Pretty impressive work...he was the voice of Fox News (in 2007, anyway) and he also did the trailer for Pirates of the Caribbean.

Edited by tlogan

No, it's the Audio Visual Sciences forum. TONS of audio, visual, Home theater (and home theater building!), equipment (receivers, players, projectors), movies,...just about anything to do with A/V.

If you're interested, here's a link to my thread from ages ago now. I finished my basement into a Home Theater and had a BIG Grand Opening Party. This link will take you to the finished project. I did it all myself except hanging drywall and a buddy helped (ok I helped him) lay the carpet. Sorry, I used Photobucket to store the pictures and now they put the banners over them unless you pay (it used to be free). Just keep scrolling down for pictures. 

Yellow Dog Cinema on AVS Forums

• 2 weeks later...
  • The topic was locked