Light-O-Rama Forums

Bug S5 Color Intensity on Fades Changes Color

gsmith37064

When I have an off shade of red. Say kind of like a deep amber red and I select fade up or down. It changes my color to the bright red. I would expect it to leave my selected color the same and not change it.

I have similar issue when using fade down on motion effects. I select part (or all) of the motion effect, fade down, the resulting motion effect is colorwash white fade down.

Work around is to right click and apply fade down to selected area - but this is slow relative to just hitting "d".

5 hours ago, drmuzz said:

I have similar issue when using fade down on motion effects. I select part (or all) of the motion effect, fade down, the resulting motion effect is colorwash white fade down.

Work around is to right click and apply fade down to selected area - but this is slow relative to just hitting "d".

That would be correct.  It is doing exactly what you told it to do.  Granted, that is not what you wanted it to do, but it is what you told it to do.  If you just use fade up or fade down, you are applying a new effect that replaces the previous effect.  If you want to modify the existing effect, you have to tell it that you want to modify the existing effect.  Your "workaround" is the correct way to accomplish that.

cool. In 5.2.4 (and earlier?) the behavior is to use the existing motion effect so I guess this bug has been fixed now?

Russ

No... It still changes the color if you just select fade down.

For now, I do my row in bright red and then fade the portion down that I want, then I go behind and get changed to the deeper red color.

It's a pain as it's double the work.

As I said in my previous response, if you just put in a fade down it is treated as a NEW effect - which in this case is a face down.  If you want to apply the fade down to an existing effect, then us the foreground effects - that's what it's there for.  This is EXACTLY the way it worked in S3, & S4.  Obviously in S3 & S4 it was not doing that with motion effects since those did not exist in S3 & S4, but it was with normal sequencing.

And I just tested this on one of my sequences to make sure it worked the way it always has...

I don't think it should change the color just by doing a fade up or down. It should leave your work alone and well... fade down or up.

That's what Foreground and Background effects are all about.  If you do a new effect, it REPLACES your previous effect - not modifies it.  That is how it has worked for as long as I can remember.  Foreground and Background Effects are VERY powerful tools, and they work very well.

I'm not sure what the fuss is all about, when I have a color set in the motion effects line and I select the last 2 or 3 cell that has the color and I press D is does a proper fade down and does not change the color.  If I choose the first 2 cell with the color and press U I get a fade up with the proper color.  I also tried to choose the 2 cell after that are blank and press D, I got the proper color fade down.  For your color are you using the colorwash effect with a single color?

1 hour ago, lanopie said:

I'm not sure what the fuss is all about, when I have a color set in the motion effects line and I select the last 2 or 3 cell that has the color and I press D is does a proper fade down and does not change the color.  If I choose the first 2 cell with the color and press U I get a fade up with the proper color.  I also tried to choose the 2 cell after that are blank and press D, I got the proper color fade down.  For your color are you using the colorwash effect with a single color?

No.. I have a solid deep reddish/brown block of lights in the grid that is set at 50 percent intensity. Every time  I try to fade it either up or down, it changes to the bright red. It gives me the fade of course... but the wrong color.

I will try your steps as listed and see if it does what I want.

Im using 5.4.2

Here is what I see happen for a motion effect on both a prop and group prop and timing of 0.1 sec

1) select 5 cells and press n -> produces color wash motion effect as color white

2) double click on one of the 5 cells to popup motion effects editor 

3) change effect from colorwash to straightlines 2 non white colors selected from color palette and hit enter

4) highlight last 3 of the 5 cells in the motion effects row and press d

5) the last three cells have intensity fade down from 100 to 0 % as expected, however the motion effect is changed from straight lines to color wash with color white

If I perform the exact same steps on 5.2.4 i get the same fade down on the three cells but the motion effect stays as straight lines rather than being changed to color wash with white

I no longer care what is supposed to be the "right" answer. It's clear that the UI behavior, due to design changes and bugs, is different for most LOR releases over that past few years. I'd hope that our community of users would support each other and provide feedback to the LOR dev team to make the SW better. This is the strength of the Xlights community and why Xlights SW is innovating faster, and with less bugs, than it seems that LOR has been able to do.

Russ

I've tried a custom color and set the intensity to 50% and then selected the last 2 cells and pressed D and it did the fade down properly, just to make sure I played that section and it played properly.  I also tried it with led light and pixels.

6 hours ago, drmuzz said:

I'd hope that our community of users would support each other and provide feedback to the LOR dev team to make the SW better.

Some do, and yet, you have posted 10 times in seven years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I may be on to something... I came across this issue that started this morning. Not sure if it's related, but I am leaning towards it.

8 hours ago, drmuzz said:

I no longer care what is supposed to be the "right" answer. It's clear that the UI behavior, due to design changes and bugs, is different for most LOR releases over that past few years. I'd hope that our community of users would support each other and provide feedback to the LOR dev team to make the SW better. This is the strength of the Xlights community and why Xlights SW is innovating faster, and with less bugs, than it seems that LOR has been able to do.

Russ

I have 2 tickets open with LOR and not heard a peep in weeks. One was Just opened a few days ago and is extremely critical to me. S5 just started archiving my active props for no reason.

I honestly think that making the software better is a low priority for them.

As a work around, I rebuilt my preview.. again and then pieced together a sequence to see if it would work. Thing is, I want to know why it started doing this with active props. My preview has not changed in some time.

Edited by gsmith37064