Light-O-Rama Forums

Suggestions for strobe lights lightning effect

Bwright0912

Very very new here and want to use lightning effect, can any one point me in the right direction on what strobe lights to use or do I even need strobe lights? And flood lights too but I am more concerned about the strobe lights.

49 minutes ago, Bwright0912 said:

Very very new here and want to use lightning effect, can any one point me in the right direction on what strobe lights to use or do I even need strobe lights? And flood lights too but I am more concerned about the strobe lights.

When I was doing Halloween displays, believe it or not, I used basic old clear incandescent mini light strands in various sizes, from as short as a 10 bulb strand up to 100 bulb strands, each strand was on it's own channel, if I recall I had about 8 assorted strands and intermixed them randomly, like 35 bulb strand, 10 bulb, 100 bulb, 20 bulb, 50 bulb and used an assortment of varying intensities for each strand and a mixture of "short and long bursts".  

The effect was actually quite awesome and I didn't need spot lights or strobe lights to get a decent effect, but this was used along my walkway {66' long handicap ramp that curves around on itself}.  Since I used these on both sides of my ramp, I utilized one CTB16PC Controller specifically for this purpose, all 16 channels were devoted to the effect.

My neighbors thought it was spectacular and thought the effect simulated lightning very well.

But this is how I did it in my Halloween display at the time, there are wide variations on how to do this, and this is just one of them.   Some use less channels, others may use more.  All depends on where and how you want the effect to come across.

All a matter of "personal taste", there is no specific way to do it, all depends on your display requirements and where you want the effect{s} to be.

Edited by Orville
  • Thanks 1

Check out Wowlights in California they have sequences and strobes for lightning effects.

• Thanks 1