Light-O-Rama Forums

Adding Programmed Movement to LOR display

a31ford

Greetings All, hope everyone got what they wanted at the Sale yesterday.

I am working on a interface system, that would produce movable props using the same protocol (RS-485) as LOR does, for the lightshow,  Think of it this way.  it is a simple X and Y axis control system so you could move say as an example, a wireframe deer head, or a spot light (like they do in concerts).

Just wondering if there is other people that would find this of interest, or am I the only one.

Replies, very welcome.

Greg

Generally done with servos for things like the deer head you mentioned, moving body parts, etc.  LOR has the ServoDog controller specifically for that purpose.  Moving spotlights are almost universally done using the DMX protocol over RS-485.  You can easily create a DMX universe and control it from LOR.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I guess I should Clarify my requirements....

My display is narrow and WIDE (some 400 feet worth), and running servo dogs, just isn't practical. I want an ONLY 3 wire connection system (+,D and -), other than than the lights on the moving part (THAT will still be in CTB-16's)

By using a MC-6850 UART, as the "Output section" and addressable MC14469 dip switch addressable uarts, I can run a receiver wherever I need, along that 400 some odd feet of display. the 14469's can be had for under 5 bucks a piece. a latch IC, and a  D to A for timing pulse width to the servo, or I could go larger cheaper Steppers with a Stepper motor driver. as some of the props I want to move are quite heavy and large.

• The topic was locked