Light-O-Rama Forums
Kapkirk

MAD Grab Sale announced

2 hours ago, GRG said:

In order to get my wife to agree to a LOR controlled display I had to agree to no pixels.  She hates them!  No Jumbotron for her.

Like tlogan said, going to RGB pixels DOES NOT equal Jumbotron!  Other than my two singing faces (22 channels), I have exactly seven channels (each a single bulb) that are not RGB.  I do have a little over 66,000 channels of RGB, but I don't think any of you would consider my house to be a jumbotron.  I have a pixel tree, RGB bulbs on my eves and roofline, six RGB arches, RGB lights in front of my 17 roses, RGB lights in each of three tree rings, a perimeter string, and RGB strips under my porch steps.  The closest that I come to a jumbotron is my P10 matrix that is used as my tune to sign.  Other than being able to change the text with each song, it is not really any different than the Holiday Coro "poke mini-light strings through the coro" signs.

Personally I am not a fan of the "cover the entire house with pixels" and do nothing but whole house effects either.  I know this photo has been posted a bunch of times, but this is the front of the house and part of the yard.  The big black thing under the bay window is the two Holiday Coro singing face trees.  You can only see about 1 1/2 of the arches, and not really the roses (along the white wall on the right).

Front_of_House_2018-12-03.jpg

1 hour ago, dibblejr said:

That's an awfully difficult song for a singing face novice to tackle especially on the RGB side. I am not very good at being critical to others  work unless it is just horrific but sure send it my way and I will have a gander. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that counts is that you feel good about it. Anyone else thinking it is good is just a bonus, imo.

JR

Actually, I'm not finding it as difficult as I thought I would.   Once I started working on it, seems the easier it got {at least to me}.   Just when I get it completed, would just like your input on how well I actually got it right and what I may have missed and needs "fixing", if anything.   Yes, it's long song and complex, but I've actually been really enjoying working on it.   And that's just how I roll, tackle the harder one first, then the others should be so much easier and fall into place.    Most will start with the easy songs, me, I love the challenge of difficult things at times, so I have to do it backwards from everyone else.🤪🤣🤣🤣

Didn't mean to stir the pot with my "jumbo tron" comparison, it was just my impression of some displays I see that go really pixel happy, and over rely on programmed effects.  (In my best imitation of Chevy Chase in European vacation when they are stuck in the traffic circle) "Look kids there is a butterfly effect, there is a spiral...."  I've seen entire shows just switch between effects, it got old. 

Like I said before, at end of day, if YOU like your show, that all that matters. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, prevue12 said:

Didn't mean to stir the pot with my "jumbo tron" comparison, it was just my impression of some displays I see that go really pixel happy, and over rely on programmed effects.  (In my best imitation of Chevy Chase in European vacation when they are stuck in the traffic circle) "Look kids there is a butterfly effect, there is a spiral...."  I've seen entire shows just switch between effects, it got old. 

Like I said before, at end of day, if YOU like your show, that all that matters. 

Now you have one thing right. Some of the shows are all the same. Manually sequencing takes some time however you cannot beat them for accuracy. I don't even know how to use instant, auto, beat wizard etc. Mine are all created either by myself with headphones or through our little group where we all have our part(s) to sequence. That's what its all about. If you can find people that have like tastes it and can group together you can really get a lot of sequencing done.

There are 4 of us. One of us is very sick and bed ridden for about 2 years now but he is still a friend and hopefully he will one day get better. We all got together 2016/2017. I have personally met all of them ad we don't live close at all. Well one of them is 3.5 hours away but we communicate through email, cell and text and harrass each other every day.

There are plenty of very good and generous people here that help a lot of people and some people don't even realize it. We are all in this together lighting up the world. No matter how large or small the display or what props we have.

I will be 100% RGB this year and will surely miss the incans and leds but its a decision that I made. 

JR

Edited by dibblejr

I don't really like pixels. I respect the technology behind them and the time it takes to make the sequences, but I just think they are more Vegas and less Christmas. I plan on running my AC controllers until they die or I am unable to physically do a display. If at any point LOR makes the decision to offload all AC controllers because they wont make them anymore I will buy several to have on my shelf as backups.

I understand that its the new hot thing but I guess I am more of a traditionalist with my string lights, blow molds and wire frames. All that just happen to be hooked to AC controllers.

I'm pretty much the same way, except I use the pixels to accent my LEDs and wireframes. I might do more, but a couple of trees hide most of the front of the house, so you wouldn't see them. My neighbor has a pretty nice blow mold collection that I would LOVE to have, and he doesn't even put it all out every year. Wish I had more storage or I'd be picking some up!

And like you, if they ever clear out the g3 AC controllers, I'd be picking up at LEAST a couple more! And if they ever clear out the ELLs, I'd be on a couple of those too (I know, I know, I missed out on them during the recent sale!).

I am old school and like the light strings for Christmas weather it is LED or INCANS, every time I see a house done in pixels I look for one thing thinking it should be there some where, the "BUDWISER" sign.

12 minutes ago, EARLE W. TALLEY said:

I am old school and like the light strings for Christmas weather it is LED or INCANS, every time I see a house done in pixels I look for one thing thinking it should be there some where, the "BUDWISER" sign.

This bud's for you!

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, EARLE W. TALLEY said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣   Or perhaps some slot machines, roulette wheels and card tables?🤣 🤣🤣

My house is a lot of RGB, but I still have some old style clear incans on my ramp that stay lit during my show for safety reasons, but I also still have old school Blow Molds that still have incandescent bulbs in them, along with a couple of older wall mounted type decor that use them as well in my display.  

I also still have some strands of Purple LED's I'm thinking of adding in to this years display.  Just got to figure out where to use them for best effect.  Thinking maybe some of my windows.  Don't have enough to do all of the windows, so not sure how good that will look with some windows having lights and others nothing.

If my Blow Molds were pixelized, I'd think they'd look downright terrible and not have the charm and appeal they do with incandescent lighting in them.

Edited by Orville

Well, I was lucky enough to get all 4 singing trees during the sale.  They arrived, and SWMBO does not like the way they look.  I would like to selll them to a welcoming home at the $299.95 Mad Grab price I paid.  They are not cheap to ship.  Each box is 42x39x3 and weighs 15 lbs.  They are located in Largo, FL 33774.  Where is the best place to post this sort of thing?

2020-06-13 12.34.57.jpg

Thank you, I'll post in the coffee shop later this afternoon.  I'll send you a PM when I've done that.  Can't answer the technical question, they are exactly what LOR sells in the webstore.

27 minutes ago, weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com said:

Coffee shop. But I’ll buy two of them.... are they for standard LEDS?

No.  The LOR singing trees are for pixels.

On 6/13/2020 at 12:41 PM, nded said:

Well, I was lucky enough to get all 4 singing trees during the sale.  They arrived, and SWMBO does not like the way they look.  I would like to selll them to a welcoming home at the $299.95 Mad Grab price I paid.  They are not cheap to ship.  Each box is 42x39x3 and weighs 15 lbs.  They are located in Largo, FL 33774.  Where is the best place to post this sort of thing?

2020-06-13 12.34.57.jpg

Make that $229.95 each.  Sorry for the typo.  More details on this in the Coffee Shop.