Light-O-Rama Forums

Issue with some Ray Wu pixels 2020

k6ccc

This came from another forum, but wanted people to be aware of it here:

I'm guessing I overloaded my lights today and 2 of my nodes caught fire on 2 separate strings:

The problem was that the traces were too close to the cut lines of the circuit board, so when the assembler cut the board to assemble the pixel, the traces were being trimmed to a very small (thin) amount. (They are not that big to begin with.)  Though they passed "continuity testing", when it came time to handle the load of a full length of pixels, the trimmed trace would heat up enough to catch itself and the local board on fire.  

It was reported that Ray had the trace moved a bit away from the cut line.  Problem solved.

The second quote was from several days later.  This was 12 volt pixels (no further details.  Ray Wu us aware of the problem and making good on people that are having a problem

So, I HIGHLY recommend that you test any new pixels that you got from Ray this year.  So far, the 400 I have tested are fine, but I have 29 more strings of 100 to test...

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

This came from another forum, but wanted people to be aware of it here:

The second quote was from several days later.  This was 12 volt pixels (no further details.  Ray Wu us aware of the problem and making good on people that are having a problem

So, I HIGHLY recommend that you test any new pixels that you got from Ray this year.  So far, the 400 I have tested are fine, but I have 29 more strings of 100 to test...

That's one reason I didn't use Ray long, to much back and forth with him for me. Rextinled treats me better and ship out of TX get my stuff in 2-4 business days as well as some beta testing lights on occasion.

Of course problems like this may arise but at least the warehouse is here.

JR

So far in 9 years, I have never had a problem with anything from Ray, but you are right, there are advantages to getting locally.  I have gone with Ray Wu because of price - although some of the local sources have gotten close enough.  This year I have bought 3,300 pixels from Ray, but also 500 C9 pixels from Holiday Lights Express and some strips from Wired Watts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

So far in 9 years, I have never had a problem with anything from Ray, but you are right, there are advantages to getting locally.  I have gone with Ray Wu because of price - although some of the local sources have gotten close enough.  This year I have bought 3,300 pixels from Ray, but also 500 C9 pixels from Holiday Lights Express and some strips from Wired Watts.

I agree, Ray stands behind his product.  I have never heard anything bad, I also  use HLE and WiredWatts - they are top notch vendors.  in my 13+ years in this hobby I have only had issues with maybe two vendors.