Light-O-Rama Forums

MP4 to AVI

gsmith37064

What is the easiest software to use to convert MP4 files to AVI or WMV files THAT WILL RUN from LOR S5?

I keep getting "Unable to read frames from this file" error.

Free online programs are available.

mp4 to avi conversion Google- lots or results

JR

Edited by dibblejr

They do not work. It needs to be uncompressed. If you have one that works, post the link.

Edited by gsmith37064

JR found this hand utility.

https://www.videozilla.net

Install it. Then browse to the MP4 and right click and select convert. Works GREAT!

NOTE: It does make the file size really large though.

It does WMV as well and the file size is tiny and works perfectly.

Can't get it to show on my matrix :(

Update: Had to close out the sequence and reopen it. Reapplied back to the motion row and it worked. Strange... Wonder if video and motion rows have a slight bug?

Edited by gsmith37064

I use a program called aTube Catcher, it's free and it will do more conversion formats than you'll probably ever need.

You can download aTube Catcher Here

it will convert just about any file format to any other, I've converted MP4 to MPG, WMV, AVI and it will also convert files to HD as well.  It also will create a cell phone tone from an MP3 or other audio file, it also converts a wide assortment of audio files from one format to another.  I use this program constantly for audio and video conversions because it has the largest file formats of any program I've ever used to date.   Again, it's free, just download and install.    I've been using this one for close to 3+ years now.

4 minutes ago, Orville said:

I use a program called aTube Catcher, it's free and it will do more conversion formats than you'll probably ever need.

it will convert just about any file format to any other, I've converted MP4 to MPG, WMV, AVI and it will also convert files to HD as well.  It also will create a cell phone tone from an MP3 or other audio file, it also converts a wide assortment of audio files from one format to another.  I use this program constantly for audio and video conversions because it has the largest file formats of any program I've ever used to date.   Again, it's free, just download and install.    I've been using this one for close to 3+ years now.

Does it create AVI or WMV files that work with LOR S5? That is what I am after.

6 minutes ago, Orville said:

The catch is it has to be uncompressed.

Of course I didn’t look at thousands of programs, I just looked at key words. Uncompressed was the key word.

Looking online the one I pointed Greg to was the only one I could find that gave you that option.

The free ones were basically upload video , select file and convert.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

22 hours ago, gsmith37064 said:

Does it create AVI or WMV files that work with LOR S5? That is what I am after.

Yes it creates AVI and WMV file formats in a variety for formats.  I just looked at all the values, couldn't find one that specifically says uncompressed, but I've imported the AVI and WMV into S4 without any issues using the standard conversions.  I don't use S5 as yet,so can't say if it will or will not work with S5.  Hopefully in the near future I might be installing it, since I'm just learning how to use the PE in S4, once I can figure that out, then I'll consider upgrading to S5.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Orville said:

Yes it creates AVI and WMV file formats in a variety for formats.  I just looked at all the values, couldn't find one that specifically says uncompressed, but I've imported the AVI and WMV into S4 without any issues using the standard conversions.  I don't use S5 as yet,so can't say if it will or will not work with S5.  Hopefully in the near future I might be installing it, since I'm just learning how to use the PE in S4, once I can figure that out, then I'll consider upgrading to S5.

So basically you do not know if it works with S5. This is what I am trying to find out here and not just something that can create an AVI, but one that works with S5.

Please see my first post on what I am looking for.

I don't mean to be snippy, but the stability of S5 is nor very desirable and I don't have the time to beta some other software right now.

Edited by gsmith37064

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Little_b said:

I've been using a free program called Virtualdub from S3 - S5 without any issues.

http://forums.lightorama.com/topic/43276-video-on-matrix-pixel-tree/?tab=comments#comment-401417

Perfect and thinks for the info. I will grab it and check it out.

2 hours ago, Little_b said:

I've been using a free program called Virtualdub from S3 - S5 without any issues.

http://forums.lightorama.com/topic/43276-video-on-matrix-pixel-tree/?tab=comments#comment-401417

Nope... Says MP4 is not supported. Also trying to load in an WMV or AVI files gives another type of unsupported error.

This is the one I downloaded: http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/

Edited by gsmith37064

10 hours ago, gsmith37064 said:

Nope... Says MP4 is not supported. Also trying to load in an WMV or AVI files gives another type of unsupported error.

This is the one I downloaded: http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/

This is why I recommended aTube Catcher, it supports just about every file format out there.  But if you need uncompressed AVI files, you'd need a program that supports that.   I have a commercial program that supports the uncompressed AVI files, but it's old and doesn't support the MP4 format.   That's why I use aTube Catcher, I can convert any MP4 to any other video or audio format, then use my other software that supports the conversion from aTube Catcher and convert to uncompressed AVI if needed.   I don't know why that's the only format not supported in aTube Catcher {uncompressed AVI}, but it will convert any audio or video format to a usable one that could be run through a program that would support and create the uncompressed AVI file from the converted file

The catch is you have to use 2 different programs, especially if you need to convert a file format that many conversion programs still do not support, like MP4, and some of them don't support the uncompressed AVI format either.

I have sent a suggestion to the creator of the aTube Catcher converter/downloader to see if they will also support uncompressed AVI files in a future release of the software.  But you never hear back from them, you only know if they accepted doing it if it appears in the drop down list when the newest version is released.

Anyway, it what I use when I need to convert my MP4 files to a usable format or a format that I can use and then convert further in the older commercial software I still use quite  a lot too.

Edited by Orville