Light-O-Rama Forums

Attaching Lights to a Shingle Roof

rogie

Most places (I know Menards for sure) sell shingle light clips that do not damage the shingles. They also work with gutters... I have used them in both capacities, and the seem to work well. Let me look for a pic.

Here it is...
aioclipplus.jpg

I use the shingle clips too. They work just fine. If you can't get the clip to go under the shingle by itself, use a narrow putty knife to get under the shingle then slide the clip under. Target has big 100 packs of clips for just a few bucks.

• 2 weeks later...

i have also used the clips for 10+ years. the only drawback is that if the roof starts to get old the shingles can start tearing. as we know the florida does not always cooperate. i have had to replace several shingles, i just ordered lite-clip strips for this year (yes its late, but just finished halloween tear down). happy decorating everyone

Stapling with a T-50 stapler with 9/16mm staples is safe and will not damage your roof as you might think, not to mention cheaper in the long run and faster, and also allows you to get the lights straighter. Like mentioned above, sliding those clips under your shingles will do more damage in the long run because you are unseating the shingles. The holes from the staples are so small that water will not go through and the staples do not go through the roof, just through the shingle. When you pull those staples out since the shingles are made of tar the heat will seal the very small hole back and won't cause any problems at all, if there were any before.

I have 14 strands of C9 on my house and using the stapler I can knock it out in less then 30 mins. The ones on the front facing of the house I just clip under the flashing with the clip that is on the C9 fixture. I have been doing it like this for 15+ yrs with no problems or leaks.

Here is a picture with the two methods I used above. The lights at the very top are done with the stapler. As you can see they are straight and in line and uniform.

DSC00540.JPG