Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel Tree setup

GrisWattsZ

I have 1 controller and plan to purchase two more before November, my question is what else do I need when I but the pizel tree to make it work, beside the rgb lights and tree hardware. 

Thanks 

You did not give much detail on what you plan, so the answer is pretty generic.  The first part is you need to decide the physical arrangement.  Do you want a flat tree, a round tree, or a partial round (typically 180 degrees - but does not have to be).  Second is how tall and how many strings.  In my case, my pixel tree is a flat tree with 24 strings of 100 pixels on 1.33 inch spacing for a lit height of about 11 feet.  The bottom of the tree is almost 3 feet off the ground so there is room to add some presents under the tree, and there is a pixel star on top.  From the ground to the top of the star is a little over 17 feet.

Front_of_House_2018-12-03.jpg

After you have determined what you want, you can work on how to accomplish it.  In general, you will need a pole to hold it up (more on that in a moment), a bunch of pixels (could be strips or individual pixels).  Pixels have the advantage that you can set the spacing for the pixels almost anything that you want whereas with strips, you get the length and spacing that the strips come in (normally 5 meters - or 16 feet, 4 inches).  Then you will need one or more controllers for the pixels, and one or more power supplies.

On the subject of a support structure.  If you are building a round tree, it will generally be a single pole or tower in the center.  It will need to be strong enough to support the weight (including ice if you get that where you live) and also wind load - which I would assume could be a major issue in Oklahoma.  Guy wires may be required.  If you are building a flat tree, there are several ways to do it.  in my case the support is an A frame made out of steel uni-strut.  What you can't see in the photo is that there is another piece of uni-strut that goes horizontally from the cross piece at the 10 foot level back to the eves of the house where it is attached.  This keeps the A frame perfectly vertical.   Some people also use a single center pole, or if you have a tall enough house, you may be able to attach the strings to some part of the house.  Obviously with my single floor house, I can't do the latter.  Search the forum, and you will find LOTS of discussions about tree support structures - and their failures.

Edited by k6ccc

Thanks for the response! I do want it to be a flat tree and 11-12 ft would be ideal. I guess my main part was what type of controller etc, to make it work with my current light o rama software and regular box 

With a flat tree of that height, you will want to use pixels rather than strips.  For controllers, you would presumably want to use a LOR Pixie series controller.  Note that the Pixel controller is going to require a 500K or 1000K network.  Also according to the resident Pixie expert it needs to be an Enhanced network.  In order to run an Enhanced LOR network, you need to have a Pro level software license, but that will also get you full Motion Effects which will make your sequencing FAR easier.  Assuming your existing controller is fairly new, it should be a Gen 3 controller and it will also be able to run on the same 500K (but not 1000K) enhanced network.

BTW, my website shows some of the construction details of the previous version of the pixel tree.  Might give you some construction ideas:  http://newburghlights.org/pixel_tree.html

Here is my newest creation. Yes, it made it through 80+ mph winds that night. Was gearing for tornados. I did have to cut the data and power cables of my matrix and get the stakes out because the wind was wreaking havoc on it. Rolled it out back. Great designing wheels on my matrix frame. The  Base zipties did slip a little so the ribbons were touching each other but that was easy as sliding them. Good thing about a trampoline base. It had holes every 6" where springs were mounted. Made spacing real easy.

All that I need to do now to make it better is find someone with a 3D printer that can make me a spacer to go about 1/2 way up that each strand would clip in to to keep the center spaced. But its barely noticeable y=to me.

45958D30-9248-47D1-BC4F-56BA80E5B8FC_zps

92D58BB9-4A4B-4622-A864-B179DD3D87A2_zps

92D58BB9-4A4B-4622-A864-B179DD3D87A2_zps

D3686AB8-E665-491E-B4BC-C8F68895D60A_zps

D3686AB8-E665-491E-B4BC-C8F68895D60A_zps

266EF08B-5FB9-444C-BDBF-3B142250C413_zps