Light-O-Rama Forums

Singing Face Sequence "Trading"

dibblejr

I've said this quite often since last year and having issues with people sharing others/ my work as their own and even selling them or attempting to sell them.

There is an option, trading.

Of course trading comes with the same stipulations, they are not to be sold or shared as your own work. I will leave it at that. We are all or mostly adults and understand what that means.

I am more than willing to trade my newer (unshared) or even custom request face sequences for RGB (smart) roof or other prop sequences.

Make an offer and we can go from there.

These will be the standard 8 channel sequences in normal lights and I will include the RGB conversion. 

All offers must be S4

JR

So sad that there are some unscrupulous people out there that have no respect for others work, or themselves when they claim others work as their own, and it's lower than the lowest scumbag to sell someones work to make a profit from it.  It makes those of us that do share our work freely, just want to dry up, and say forget it.  All because of these bad apples in the bunch. Just makes you really :angry: and 🤮 to your stomach that some keep on doing this.

And this may very well cause folks to stop sharing and start only selling their sequences, because of this. 

Only other option I could think of to possibly end this type of garbage, is if someone sequences something for someone specifically to their display, then save it as an encrypted sequence before they get it sent to them.   If they change their display configuration, they'll have to submit their new channel assignments and re-request an update to the new display settings.   Not many are going to want to purchase a sequence they won't be able to use and edit freely, but this may stop the thieves in their tracks since they won't be able to edit or change ANYTHING about or in the sequence to "make it theirs".

Sadly, I think because of the bad actors doing what JR is saying above, is just what is going to start if these morons that think they can get away with this continue down the path of literally stealing, and selling someone else's hard work, and then classifying it as their own.

Edited by Orville

Having respect of other people works is huge. By not selling someones else hard work.

I have a select few people I have met some talented people. That we share sequences among ourselves. We agrred not to sell or take away other people credit hard work. It's great to learn from each other on how to make a great show. Everyone have different preference on how they want there sequence to work. Either by having 8 or 7 channels for signings face or different arch's sequences.

Keep in mind you are at risk when you share you own sequences. On facebook or having your shareable google drive.

As for myself. I want to learn all that I can. I have no interest on selling anything. Either my own work or anything elses.

37 minutes ago, hbtaylor0927 said:

Having respect of other people works is huge. By not selling someones else hard work.

I have a select few people I have met some talented people. That we share sequences among ourselves. We agrred not to sell or take away other people credit hard work. It's great to learn from each other on how to make a great show. Everyone have different preference on how they want there sequence to work. Either by having 8 or 7 channels for signings face or different arch's sequences.

Keep in mind you are at risk when you share you own sequences. On facebook or having your shareable google drive.

As for myself. I want to learn all that I can. I have no interest on selling anything. Either my own work or anything elses.

We have a 4 man team however one member is down for medical reasons. We all have our parts.  James does  the LMS , Matrix and ccr tree while I do faces, can do matrix, can do ccr tree can and now do circles since the circle man has been out for a couple years now and then our other buddy does the RGB outline stuff.

Up until last year we shared every sequence middle of last year that all changed so all new stuff and special requests are no longer free.

We talk daily and 3 of us have all met each other . The member that is down has only met me in person and not the others.

Normally we make a list of yearly songs however this year due to the covid we are sequencing whatever seems right for the times. Once we have our list I strat the faces. When I am finished I send them to the others and they all do their part. I don't do the circles until I decide to put the sequence in my show. I just don't have the time to do them with everything else I do.

Tomorrow will add a new spinner to my covid  show. 

As far as the google drives , yep probably 75% or more of my shared sequences are there. 

I will leave it alone now since I wanted this thread to be a trading thread. Most people know the story. Even on the sharing FB pages there are few people "sharing" most are just asking.

Hopefully this will get some trading started.

I have traded my work with another member that does superb work with RGBs. Its S5 stuff but is that good that I will keep it for the distant future.

JR

• Like 1

I want to add to this.  I really don’t want to see you guys stop.  I would have never attempted a show if you guys didn’t share your sequences.  Last year, I built my show almost exactly like Sarge’s show so it would match up better.  This year, I am attempting to get into dumb RGB.  My daughter is old enough to learn it and we will learn this together.  
I am big into CNC and  3d printing.  I have a rule that I never sell anything of mine.  I give away all of my creations freely to push the advancement of that technology.  I actually created a method for making a particular CNC draw out images and then cut.  I was approached by Maker for my development and I gave them  all of the technology for free.  Last year, I created cutouts for people to print a singing bulb, tree and pumpkin. That is shared for free on this site. 
I understand that you guys don’t want your stuff sold or misrepresented.  But please don’t step back because of this.  I honestly would not have attempted this if it wasn’t for you guys.  I believe that you guys keep this community alive.  I believe that your work has got someone to set up a show and spread the Christmas spirit.  Your sharing doesn’t just get that one person involved, but it gives that entire neighborhood joy.  Your work has touched millions of lives. I used your shows for the last two years and I have had hundreds of people watch your show play out on my house.  
Please don’t stop what you are doing.  I love you guys for everything you have done for me and for Christmas.  My neighbors are grateful for everything that you have done.  And my family is grateful for what you have done.  Don’t let this bring down your attitude toward sharing your work.  We will share whatever we create as well.  It will not be anything that compares to your work but it will be shared to anyone that may find it useful. 

Edited by Sharpsburg Lights

3 hours ago, Sharpsburg Lights said:

I want to add to this.  I really don’t want to see you guys stop.  I would have never attempted a show if you guys didn’t share your sequences.  Last year, I built my show almost exactly like Sarge’s show so it would match up better.  This year, I am attempting to get into dumb RGB.  My daughter is old enough to learn it and we will learn this together.  
I am big into CNC and  3d printing.  I have a rule that I never sell anything of mine.  I give away all of my creations freely to push the advancement of that technology.  I actually created a method for making a particular CNC draw out images and then cut.  I was approached by Maker for my development and I gave them  all of the technology for free.  Last year, I created cutouts for people to print a singing bulb, tree and pumpkin. That is shared for free on this site. 
I understand that you guys don’t want your stuff sold or misrepresented.  But please don’t step back because of this.  I honestly would not have attempted this if it wasn’t for you guys.  I believe that you guys keep this community alive.  I believe that your work has got someone to set up a show and spread the Christmas spirit.  Your sharing doesn’t just get that one person involved, but it gives that entire neighborhood joy.  Your work has touched millions of lives. I used your shows for the last two years and I have had hundreds of people watch your show play out on my house.  
Please don’t stop what you are doing.  I love you guys for everything you have done for me and for Christmas.  My neighbors are grateful for everything that you have done.  And my family is grateful for what you have done.  Don’t let this bring down your attitude toward sharing your work.  We will share whatever we create as well.  It will not be anything that compares to your work but it will be shared to anyone that may find it useful. 

Your last statement that I put in bold type above is what has become part of this problem. 

Those that share their sequences do so, but many do not want them shared without their consent or you need to  {and this is the preferred method} refer the person wanting the sequence that was shared with you to the original sequencer that shared it.  This way they know who is getting it.

And now those that share their work are requiring a statement be added to their request for them to allow you to get the sequence.

I can't blame them for this, as so many that have been shared by some of the most talented people here,Jjames Morris, JR and others I may not know their names at the moment, are finding their sequences being sold all over the internet.  And that is completely out of line and unfair to these folks that do this.

This is why they have resorted to statements and also requiring payment for their work.  Again, I can't fault them for this because of those that take and then use it for their own personal gain.  If I weren't a reformed Christian once again, I'd call them a lot harsher name than a scumbag.  But those that do this are just that when they sell and profit off anothers work that was given freely.

Sadly, because of this is why many of the best sequencers here have stopped doing it either altogether or now requesting payment for their work.  And I have to agree with them.

I ahred mine when I can, but my sequences are nowhere near what these other sequencers do.  And anyone selling mine, well I can't see how they can make much off them because in my opinion that aren't good enough to be sold.  So the jokes on them when or if they try to sell any I've created.   And I've NEVER shared another sequencers sequence unless they either gave advanced permission or I asked if I could share it.  Which I usually refer the asker to the original sequencer, since a shared sequence IS NOT MINE to share!

I understand the frustrations. I guess I see things a little different. My last comment only related to things that I create. I share things with the expectation that anything can happen to it.  However, I don’t search out if someone is trying to profit from my work.  I think this is why I don’t too worried about what happens after I share it. For example, I needed clips to hang my RGB strips up so I created them in cad.  I openly shared the file to the world.  The way I look at it is that I needed it so I created it.  I shared it so someone else can benefit from it too.  I do that because I have freely downloaded files to print that someone else created.  It keeps the cycle going. The way I look at it is that I no longer needed the file after I finished it but someone else might need it later. 

I feel that my work will not compare in a trading situation.  You guys are geniuses with sequencing and have years of experience.  I will join the trading by offering up what I create.  Please don’t stop sharing with me.  I may request some work and use it as a sort of beat channel to create my own shows from (so I can create faster). I may also use it as a learning tool to see how you guys use the lights with the music.  You guys have been an inspiration to this community so thanks for all that you do.  I have five kids and I am a paramedic.  My spouse is a respiratory therapist. I typically don’t have much time to work on sequencing which is why you guys have bailed us out the last couple of years.  

21 hours ago, Sharpsburg Lights said:

I understand the frustrations. I guess I see things a little different. My last comment only related to things that I create. I share things with the expectation that anything can happen to it.  However, I don’t search out if someone is trying to profit from my work.  I think this is why I don’t too worried about what happens after I share it. For example, I needed clips to hang my RGB strips up so I created them in cad.  I openly shared the file to the world.  The way I look at it is that I needed it so I created it.  I shared it so someone else can benefit from it too.  I do that because I have freely downloaded files to print that someone else created.  It keeps the cycle going. The way I look at it is that I no longer needed the file after I finished it but someone else might need it later. 

I feel that my work will not compare in a trading situation.  You guys are geniuses with sequencing and have years of experience.  I will join the trading by offering up what I create.  Please don’t stop sharing with me.  I may request some work and use it as a sort of beat channel to create my own shows from (so I can create faster). I may also use it as a learning tool to see how you guys use the lights with the music.  You guys have been an inspiration to this community so thanks for all that you do.  I have five kids and I am a paramedic.  My spouse is a respiratory therapist. I typically don’t have much time to work on sequencing which is why you guys have bailed us out the last couple of years.  

We have not and wont stop sharing, we just no longer share our new work or take free custom requests. Those conversations are had off line,

I will add , very memorable.

As soon as Despacito came out I sequenced the faces to it. Since it is Spanish/ English mix and I don't speak Spanish it took me over a week to sequence it. As always I shared it. Two days later in was on Ebay, FB Google Drive as well as others. It was handles via LOR. Payal and Ebay. But no way to do anything about the millions that could have received it from FB Google Drive ect.

I even had a Free Request thread and managed to keep up with it, but stopped doing the requests free. So in the real world with men of honor and respect your theory would work. Ever since the first inclination that someone was using my sequences for their personal gain I have always out the statement "sellers" do not ask and do not share. This if honored would prevent people from selling them.

I have received tips from others when they asked for a sequence through private messages. Yes I have friends here. 

In this real world though everyone wants something and most are genuine but its that 10% that spoils it. 

At one time we shared on drop box but the selling and sharers spoiled that in the beginning. Some people wanted 30 or more sequences at a time. Some members want James sequence even though they don't have license enough to use them.

Copy protecting a face sequence would not work at all. Tried that and just didn't have the heart to do it. I relied on trust, respect and honor. So we are where we are.

Once again we are still sharing the old stuff. Request can be taken through PM's or email. 

As far as your CNC, that's way over my head. Do you cut coroplas and make the holes or do you just do templates/ layovers.

If you have the ability to cut 10mm and cut the holes I have some paid work for you. Feel free to message me if you have the capability.

JR

Of course I could cut coroplast. My CNC is set up to cut 3/4 in birch plywood.  It would be nothing to cut through plastic.  I would have to test and see how to slow it down so it cuts instead of melting the coroplast.  But we have guys in that community that have cut plexiglass.

I just did a quick google search and it turns out low speeds and a particular bit is all I need to cut it.  I would have to go buy some and do some tests.  What did you have in mind?  It would also be great to be the first in that realm to use the Maslow CNC for cutting Coro. 

21 hours ago, Sharpsburg Lights said:

Of course I could cut coroplast. My CNC is set up to cut 3/4 in birch plywood.  It would be nothing to cut through plastic.  I would have to test and see how to slow it down so it cuts instead of melting the coroplast.  But we have guys in that community that have cut plexiglass.

I just did a quick google search and it turns out low speeds and a particular bit is all I need to cut it.  I would have to go buy some and do some tests.  What did you have in mind?  It would also be great to be the first in that realm to use the Maslow CNC for cutting Coro. 

I use both Vortex and Onsrud bits for both 4mm and 10mm coroplast (we call it Corex) The Vortex bit is p/n 5620 and the Onsrud bit p/n is 63-718. I use a feedrate of 200 and a spindle speed of 20,000. Because it is a plastic it can/will melt, I use a steady stream of air to blow the chips away and it does just fine. When cutting across the flutes in the corex it will leave a slightly rough edge, but easily taken care with touch of sandpaper. Cutting lengthwise on the flutes gives a nice clean finish. Holes may leave a small amount of melted chips but they break off very cleanly. You can try using a wax on the bit, but if you are doing 800 holes you will need to stop often and re-apply the wax. I just let it go and flick out the ones that are in the way.

If you are drilling holes for LOR pixels, size the hole slighty smaller than 12mm, the pixel will snap in and hold better. Just FYI.

What software do you use for CNC?

Alan...

router3.png

1 hour ago, default said:

I use both Vortex and Onsrud bits for both 4mm and 10mm coroplast (we call it Corex) The Vortex bit is p/n 5620 and the Onsrud bit p/n is 63-718. I use a feedrate of 200 and a spindle speed of 20,000. Because it is a plastic it can/will melt, I use a steady stream of air to blow the chips away and it does just fine. When cutting across the flutes in the corex it will leave a slightly rough edge, but easily taken care with touch of sandpaper. Cutting lengthwise on the flutes gives a nice clean finish. Holes may leave a small amount of melted chips but they break off very cleanly. You can try using a wax on the bit, but if you are doing 800 holes you will need to stop often and re-apply the wax. I just let it go and flick out the ones that are in the way.

If you are drilling holes for LOR pixels, size the hole slighty smaller than 12mm, the pixel will snap in and hold better. Just FYI.

What software do you use for CNC?

Alan...

router3.png

Alan, as always you are very informative. The drill bits I use are all 11mm for the 3 different manufacturers of pixels I use. 

If I only had a machine. I have 28 more singers to convert. My guesstimate completion time is Spring 2030 if doing all be hand. The good is I have all of my color coro, ordered through Atlanta from Canada. Seemed to be the only place in the USA that would get me small quantities of color 10mm coro. Well worth the wait and because it about a 3 hour drive I saved on shipping.

I use my small Japanese saw, much smaller than a butter knife but sharp enough to cut you finger to the bone if you slip. Everyone should have one of those knifes. Hard to describe, think nail file. Not like a saw or knife as we know them.

JR

Are you cutting the shape out of the coro and then drilling or are you leaving them as a square shape?

5 hours ago, Sharpsburg Lights said:

Are you cutting the shape out of the coro and then drilling or are you leaving them as a square shape?

Cutting the trees and bulbs. 

Easier storage the way I made foldable frames.

The pumpkins IDK yet. They will be a lot of pixels and some shapes. Not sure if I want to risk another finger or is I make a mistake and have a bad cut my OCD will not let me use it.

If I leave square I will end up painting the outside of the pumpkin outline.

I have two large guitar and banjo singing / playing snowmen. Will take me a couple weeks to cut each and probably around 500 nodes or more. Singing reindeer, santa and Mrs Santa. Baby singing trees and baby singing pumpkin. Giant spider with singing face. Now that I think about it 2030 sounds doable.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

The cnc would be great to cut it out.  The holes for the cutouts would be better done by a drill. A template can be cut out and used to drill a lot faster.  But I don’t know how many of the same you are planning to do

Do you have the patterns drawn in svg format?

7 hours ago, Sharpsburg Lights said:

The cnc would be great to cut it out.  The holes for the cutouts would be better done by a drill. A template can be cut out and used to drill a lot faster.  But I don’t know how many of the same you are planning to do

Do you have the patterns drawn in svg format?

Since I don't know what that format is I would say nope.

I do have the pros though and animation and vis of them.

I think I can find an online converter for the svg format though. 

Shoot I just noticed you are in GA. I can drive to you and bring my stuff. I need to get out of quarantine any way. (JK everyone, Im doing my part) But if we all live through this mess I can bring it all. 

JR

Edited by dibblejr

15 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Since I don't know what that format is I would say nope.

I do have the pros though and animation and vis of them.

I think I can find an online converter for the svg format though. 

Shoot I just noticed you are in GA. I can drive to you and bring my stuff. I need to get out of quarantine any way. (JK everyone, Im doing my part) But if we all live through this mess I can bring it all. 

JR

There's one here JR:  SVG Converter {up to 4MB file input}

11 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Thanks Orville.

JR

You're welcome.  I'm usually always good for a source of Graphic Converters or Audio Converters.

• The topic was locked