Light-O-Rama Forums

Jumpers on the Pixie 16 and Pixie 8

indi

I just got my pixie controllers a Pixie 8 and a Pixie 16. I am stetting them up with the power supply. I was reading the user manual and it was talking about putting jumpers on J2, J3 and J5. I am not sure what these jumpers do. I plan on nothing fancy, just rgb light strings and they will be daisy chained together. I know my AC 16 channel controllers have a jumper, but it came already attached.

Do these jumpers need to be in place for the controllers to work?

Thanks

I posted this on LOR General Software category by mistake.

51 minutes ago, indi said:

I just got my pixie controllers a Pixie 8 and a Pixie 16. I am stetting them up with the power supply. I was reading the user manual and it was talking about putting jumpers on J2, J3 and J5. I am not sure what these jumpers do. I plan on nothing fancy, just rgb light strings and they will be daisy chained together. I know my AC 16 channel controllers have a jumper, but it came already attached.

Do these jumpers need to be in place for the controllers to work?

Thanks

I posted this on LOR General Software category by mistake.

As stated in the manual J2 is for accessory power, J3 is for triggers and J5 can set the color order which you would do in the HU anyway. You don't really need to mess with them for the card to work.

So I don't have to use any jumpers?

I am going to use these on network AUX B. And the pixie 8 will be the last controller. So I don't have to terminate it with the J4 jumper?

Thanks 

Edited by indi

8 hours ago, indi said:

So I don't have to use any jumpers?

I am going to use these on network AUX B. And the pixie 8 will be the last controller. So I don't have to terminate it with the J4 jumper?

Thanks 

The jumpers aren't needed unless you need to power something off a controller or you are using triggers. J5 just lets you physically select the IC and color order which you do in the HU when you program the contoller.  Terminating won't hurt anything and many on here swear by it. Personally I have never terminated a circuit and I have never had a issue but then again I am not running a gazillion LOR controllers.

No matter how many times or ways you post the same question you'll receive the same replies.

Let HU do the work for you.

The ONLY jumper you may need to install would be the jumper right next to one of the data ports. Sometimes LOR mistakenly leaves it off.

Just turn all dip switches off and plug into a red adapter in your computer and assign the beginning unit ID as I state in the tutorial.

JR

Edited by dibblejr
  • Thanks 1

On 3/24/2020 at 2:26 AM, Mr. P said:

The jumpers aren't needed unless you need to power something off a controller or you are using triggers. J5 just lets you physically select the IC and color order which you do in the HU when you program the contoller.  Terminating won't hurt anything and many on here swear by it. Personally I have never terminated a circuit and I have never had a issue but then again I am not running a gazillion LOR controllers.

Terminating is a 'Best Practice' for ALL RS485 installs. It is part of the Spec.

IMHO it fall in the same area as Proper wire capacity, Fused power leads, proper Earthing of Line voltage equipment. I spent 20Y as a Engineering department ET. 10Y MTBF was a goal for 15 of those.

2 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Terminating is a 'Best Practice' for ALL RS485 installs. It is part of the Spec.

IMHO it fall in the same area as Proper wire capacity, Fused power leads, proper Earthing of Line voltage equipment. I spent 20Y as a Engineering department ET. 10Y MTBF was a goal for 15 of those.

I understand all that and I stated that most on hear preach about it. I just stated that I have never terminated and never had any issues with the 10-12 LOR controllers that I have on my on RS485 network.

3 hours ago, Mr. P said:

I understand all that and I stated that most on hear preach about it. I just stated that I have never terminated and never had any issues with the 10-12 LOR controllers that I have on my on RS485 network.

Me either and I have an entire Halloween show on an emergency in one network.

I noticed some lag esp on Thriller but it was better than no show.

That was 10 networks all on LOR Regular and enhanced.

JR

• The topic was locked