Light-O-Rama Forums

USB Questio

indi

I am not very computer smart. My question is:

I am using com 3 for my 6 LOR 16 channel AC controllers and 8 CCP controllers on com port 4 and my 2 H.C. controllers on com port 5 and 6. I have run out of USB ports on my computer. I bought a USB gizmo that you plug into the computer and it adds 3 more USB ports. I plan on getting a pixie 16 and a pixie 4 (I will daisy chain these two)

My question is: If I plug in this gizmo into com port 3 (where my AC controllers are running at 57.7 speed) can I add the two Pixie controllers to the same com port 3 and run them at 500 speed in one of the other gizmo ports?

Thanks.

Forget about COM#'s, they are 'logical'  conversions from the old RS232 / Modem days

The Adapter is the 'port', not the USB socket. Also, it is a great practice to label your LOR adapters as to which LOR network (Aux A, Aux B, Regular) they will.have been assigned..

Get a POWERED USB HUB (💡 The power brick should have an output of at least 500mA*the number of ports (Some cheapos are under powered. )

Put you slower networks on the Hub (the PC port is the speed limiter.. In most cases, you won't hit a bottleneck with just LOR, but you might want to sneakernet with a Flash drive)

Not only think of your adapter as the port but also as the network. The only way you can have the AC controllers and the Pixie controllers on the same high speed network is if all the AC controllers are gen 3. Every controller on a usb network must be able to operate at the speed you select.

So, If I plug this into the computer USB (where it is comm 3) then everything that I plug into the output would be on comm 3.

image.png.5ffb086591a463857c2e6ed2125afc78.png

1 hour ago, indi said:

So, If I plug this into the computer USB (where it is comm 3) then everything that I plug into the output would be on comm 3.

image.png.5ffb086591a463857c2e6ed2125afc78.png

NO!  The LOR ADAPTER is (currently) COM3 on THAT PC. It (usually) stays that, no matter what  USB slot you use.  FWIW COM3 is my built in Modem. COM 6 and 7 is my USB to dual RS232 adapter.

AGAIN COM#  ports are re-mapped to adapters using the LOR Network utility after initial inheritance from the OS. Those are JUST more USB slots (Ports) All you need is for the HU to find any NEW adapters so you can note their mapping.

(FWIW my Regular is is on COM11,AuxA is COM12, AuxB is COM13. I only need to know the COM because I use 2 PC's and I make the both the same with a combination of Windows Device Manager and LOR)

2 things WRONG with your picture. 1) that hub is UNPOWERED,  2)The input plug looks to be USB-C  Only the most modern computers MAY have a type C port  You want a Type A (USB2 )

22 hours ago, indi said:

Ok. Thanks. I think I understand.

I use 2 "Black Webb"  7 port USB hubs. They are powered. They can be purchased at Walmart for about $30. I think that's what I paid. Never had a problem with them.

JR

• 2 weeks later...
  • The topic was locked