Light-O-Rama Forums

5.4.2 is not installed correctly

I did a little of editing in 5.2.4 last night with no issues. I woke up this morning to continue editing and S5 Sequencer would not load. As in, I clicked the icon numerous times and waited with no results. I checked Task Manager and nothing showed in the Processes tab. I opened Supserstar with no issues.

I uninstalled/reinstalled 5.2.4, this time it came up with the "Light-O-Rama is not correctly installed" box. I redownloaded 5.2.4 from both sources on the download page and same issue.

I ran LORRegistryWipe 5.0.2.exe each time after I uninstalled, still no go.

I tried to open some of the other LOR programs, and most would not load and came up with the "Light-O-Rama is not correctly installed" box.

Superstar would load, but gave an error on closing, as seen below.

ss%20error.jpg

When i tried to open LORHardware it at least opened, but with an Error Box shown below.

install%20error.jpg

I tried to install 5.4.0 and it has the same "Light-O-Rama is not correctly installed" box.

I haven't bothered to back to any previous version. I just wanted to do a quick update that now has consumed half the day.

Is it worth it to just delete any and all "light-o-rama entries in the registry?

Alan...

Uninstall the version you currently have installed.

Then try installing 5.4.2. It contains some fixes for installation issues.

Matt

I'm sorry Matt,

I typed the wrong ver no. it should read 5.4.2.

So to recap I have tried 5.4.2 and 5.4.0 both are giving the errors.

Alan...

1 hour ago, default said:

I'm sorry Matt,

I typed the wrong ver no. it should read 5.4.2.

So to recap I have tried 5.4.2 and 5.4.0 both are giving the errors.

Alan...

that path is a bit weird.  Many security suites do not like write user files off the root of C :

ssedit,cfg is a user file in my book. those usualy end up in Appdata (hidden) or Documents. Documents\Light-O-Rama  is where S4 defaults to

Interesting.  I have not had any issues with 5.4.2.  Running it on a Windows 7 laptop, my Windows 10 desktop, and my server running Windows Server 2012 r2 (currently running my landscape lighting show).

2 hours ago, TheDucks said:

that path is a bit weird.  Many security suites do not like write user files off the root of C :

ssedit,cfg is a user file in my book. those usualy end up in Appdata (hidden) or Documents. Documents\Light-O-Rama  is where S4 defaults to

I looked to see where my SSEdit.cfg file was located.  For me it is in L:\SuperStar\  In my case, my LOR data files are in L:\ (which is really a mapped network drive on my server).  However, based on that file location, I would gather that you were trying to have your LOR files point to the root of C:\ - which may cause Windows to be unhappy.

After a few hours of installing and uninstalling 5.4.2 and 5.4.0 multiple times, it was still a no go.

I tried to install 5.3.14 and it worked!, I then uninstalled 5.3.14 and did not run LORRegistryWipe 5.0.2.exe and reinstalled 5.4.2 and it worked! This was the only thing I did different all day. I honestly don't know if that helped or not. But all seems to be good now.

I am still baffled by 5.4.2 running last night, then would not load this morning, but SS would.

As far as this error with SS, I think this had to do more with the failure of the total install, than just a SS error. The path I use for install is the default path in LOR. I just included it in hopes it might help LOR/Matt spot a problem.

ss%20error.jpg

Alan...

• 4 weeks later...

If it worked before, have you tried a restart, not sleep or hibernate, but a full power off reboot.

If that doesn't work, try uninstalling and reinstall from a fresh download.

You ARE an the latest 5.4.2 version, yes, because your profile says 3.8.0

After reading this I tried to start 5.4.2, which I have been using almost everyday since I last posted about this issue and NO GO, It will load again. PC is shutdown every night, full reboot everyday as always.

I haven't tried what I did before which was installing 5.3.14 and then uninstalling it and trying 5.4.2 again. I have other things to do today. Maybe later.

Here's what happens in Task Manager as Sequencer is trying to load.

Alan...

524%20no%20start.gif

Hi Alan. Very strange. I too have been using 5.4.2 on a daily basis. I usually leave my machine on 24/7, but I do reboot on occasion. I have not had an issue starting the sequence. Not sure what might be going on.

Does the same thing happen if you start with either the start menu or from control panel.

Phil

I made a video in real time of what it takes me to get 5.4.2 to work again after just refusing to load.

Running LORRegistryWipe does not seem to have any bearing.

Phil, I have tried everything I can think of. It seems to me that something gets corrupted over time. By uninstalling 5.4.2, installing 5.3.14 (version before major changes were made - mainly DirectX), then uninstalling 5.3.14, installing 5.3.14 seems to leave something behind in the registry that fixes the issue. that's just a guess on my part, but seems to pan out based on how I can get it to work again. I dunno.

Alan...

Edited by default

Two thoughts.Alan.

What is the screen that shows up briefly at 14 seconds. Never ever saw that before. Ever..........

I leave control panel running all the time and it starts with Windows. Even if I shut CP down and start Sequencer, CP does not load. 

If I start CP manually, I still don't see that window,

What type video card, are you using, I'm on an Nvidia card, which I keep up to date.

@default

Thanks for the video.

Have you opened Windows Event Viewer to see it is reporting any errors when the Sequencer fails to start? If you need help with that, please open a help desk ticket and we can walk through it together.

Matt

Matt,

No I didn't think to do that. Currently it is working and all is good with the "fix" from the video. It has happened to me twice now. If it happens again I will contact the help desk before I try to correct by using the method in the video.

Thanks,

Alan...

Phil.

The screen at 14 secs started in 5.4.0 as described below.

cp%20first%20start.png

unless you have clicked the "Do not show this message in the future" it should show every time.

Unload Light-O-Rama from the tray, then restart CP, it should show then - unless you have clicked the "Do not show this message in the future" it should show every time you start CP.

Normally I do not have CP running, unless I am testing controllers, networks, compressing sequences, etc... I've done it this way for years.

I have a Nvidia, which I left windows update. It has worked fine with LOR since the last forced windows update.

Alan...

Edited by default

Hmm I dont think I ever saw that screen before.I saw your video and it does not show up on an exit and restart of CP.

I have several controllers and quite a few lights in my den which i play with all the time when I'm testing sequences.or just bored with TV.

My Nvidia drivers have their own updater which is a bit of a pain since it is always wanting to update game drivers, but it does keep the card updated. Dont know if it would make a difference though.

• 5 weeks later...

I am having similar issues and since all of the experienced S5 users are on this thread I want to ask where do I get the S5 wipe tool and how to properly uninstall S5.

I just started getting the extra screen when the CP opens and other problems have started as well.

My preview is somehow getting corrupted, props that worked for 2 weeks no longer working, building a 16X50 ccr tree using the create new prop method only loading 16 pixels per port, when it worked 2 weeks ago. Things like that. It also did the same thing with my matrix a few mins ago. 25x50 became 24X16 pixels

So this will be the starting point.

If any of my friends above can point me in the right direction.

Thank you

JR

3 hours ago, dibblejr said:

My preview is somehow getting corrupted, props that worked for 2 weeks no longer working, building a 16X50 ccr tree using the create new prop method only loading 16 pixels per port, when it worked 2 weeks ago. Things like that. It also did the same thing with my matrix a few mins ago. 25x50 became 24X16 pixels

We solved the above issue by playing with the channel sorting feature on the prop inside of SE. It would group nodes 1 to 16 on a port and then start the next port with 1 to 16 as well.

Very strange that a built in tree 180 16x50 prop would do that.

1 hour ago, gsmith37064 said:

We solved the above issue by playing with the channel sorting feature on the prop inside of SE. It would group nodes 1 to 16 on a port and then start the next port with 1 to 16 as well.

Very strange that a built in tree 180 16x50 prop would do that.

Thank you Greg. You have been a huge help in this, I just wish it was an easier process especially after importing a vis that worked as well as the preview for 2 weeks before going down hill.

A little more work and it should be golden.

Great advice on the method you use for the profile and grid layout. It will help others as well/

JR