Light-O-Rama Forums

Can you do this in Audacity? Mix vocal track & music track together.

Orville

Been playing around with Audacity to see if it can do something that my commercial music editor says it can do, but is always greyed out and just can't seem to access it.

What I want to do is overlay a vocal track over the music, but not just insert the vocal, as that cuts off the music and then restarts it after the insertion.

The vocal and music should continue together, uninterrupted  without breaks in the music.

So if anyone knows how this is accomplished in Audacity, it'd be much appreciated.

I used to be able to do this with the WAV recorder in earlier versions of Windows, but the current WAV Recorder in Windows 7, does not have this capability.  It's what I used to use to create mixes, then convert them to MP3 format.

So far, I've been unsuccessful in finding a work-around to accomplish this.   So if it's available and doable in Audacity, please give me instructions on how this is accomplished.  Or at least point me to a possibe free program I can use that will do what I am attempting to do.

Thank you.

Edited by Orville

Hey Orville,

looks like someone else has asked this same question online a couple years ago.

There is 2 real good vids on youtube for this. The vid that answers your question is this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-Yi5c7PhuY

there is another that shows how to increase the volume of the voice over and decrease the volume of the music by playing around with the gain control of the 2 tracks.

when done save to new folder and done.

Hope this helps 

• Thanks 1

Easy.

1 )  Open the music file.

2 )  Create a new track.

3 )  Open the vocal file (which creates a second instance of Audacity).

4 )  Select of the vocal, and copy.

5)  Go back to the music file, and paste the vocal into the empty track.

6 )  Adjust as needed.

• Thanks 2

Thanks guys, that's what I thought, but couldn't seem to find anything.  And my commercial editor, for some odd reason is "supposed" to do this, but no matter what I've tried, it just won't let me access the mix two separate files into one unbroken voice and melody track.  So I thought I'd give Audacity a try and see if this could be done.   Thank you Jim for the step by step.   I'll give that a try and see how it works out!

On 2/21/2020 at 10:56 AM, k6ccc said:

Easy.

1 )  Open the music file.

2 )  Create a new track.

3 )  Open the vocal file (which creates a second instance of Audacity).

4 )  Select of the vocal, and copy.

5)  Go back to the music file, and paste the vocal into the empty track.

6 )  Adjust as needed.

I finally got around to experimenting with this in Audacity.  Your step by step helped out tremendously Jim.  At first I thought I was doing something incorrectly, but after getting the hang of it, it was quite easy.  And I see now that Audacity even has more bells and whistles than the Music Editor I bought quite a few years ago.  

I'll be using Audacity more and more as I play around with all it's features.   And it is so much better than the music editor software I bought and paid well over $300 for years ago!   I'll probably keep it{the old Music Editor} around for some simple work here and there, but for more complex stuff, looks like Audacity can't be beat, and the price: "FREE!".   It really surprised me in all it can do now, especially for the price{FREE!}, just a little time in downloading and installation.

• The topic was locked