Light-O-Rama Forums

WTB USB adapter

benbassinger

I’m looking for an LOR usb to 485 adapter. My main one is very difficult to access and I’d like to have a spare for testing when things go wrong or to have with a separate laptop.  Anyone have one hanging around not being used you can part with?

Having a spare USB to RS-485 adapter is one of the most important spare items to keep in stock.  If that fails during show season, your entire show goes dark...  And having a spare is very handy for testing as you mentioned.  My three in service adapters are not overly handy to pull out for testing either - and besides are used year round for my landscaping show.

Highly recommend that any adapter you buy is a high speed (red) adapter.  Even if you don't need it now, as you expand, you eventually will.

• Like 1

Thank you for the advice. I was thinking about using the booster version to be able to test ELLs as well. I believe that one supports high speed should I need to go there. 

5 hours ago, benbassinger said:

Thank you for the advice. I was thinking about using the booster version to be able to test ELLs as well. I believe that one supports high speed should I need to go there. 

The USB485B, one with booster,  does not support high speed networks but then again neither do the ELL's. If you want to test ELL's then just connect it to a controller you already have. As suggested, just go ahead and get yourself a couple of the red adapters as they are only a $2 more.

• The topic was locked