Light-O-Rama Forums

Hardware Modifications

ndutton

Thought you might be interested to see some modifications I did on a controller.

I have a number of regular small props clustered together. I've always had the controller on the periphery with several extension cords connecting them to the controller. After this 2019 season closed I made a plan to change that and attached is the result. 

The cable is a 12 core 16 gauge cable with all the old connectors moved down to a "distribution box". The current box offers 6 outlets but potentially I could add another 4 with fly leads of longer lengths if needed.

Just an idea if you need it....

Note: the cable glands are weather proof design.

Edited by ndutton

Very nice looking work..

But 12 core? Is it Armored cable? 

I ask because you used the 3WIRE pigtails.and unless those Greens are connected to a GROUNDED Armor Braid , you present a hazard opportunity to the unsuspecting that may attach something with the 3rd prong that could possible energize other 3rd prong devices on the same Spider box. IIRC there is also a NEC limit of 6 feet for use of raceway only grounding.. After that, a ground conductor must be used.

No it is not armoured and so not considered a raceway conduit, I wanted the cable to be flexible but ground conductor is available to the circuit.

(I am also confused by your statement. Its a 12 conductor cable, there are 6 pigtails (so 6 hot), which means there are 6 conductors leftover.. 
Therefore theoretically, with a shared conductor for N and another shared for GND that creates 4 spares (though in my actual case 2 of those are being used for additional shared N and 2 for additional shared GND. I think you are assuming that I ran a neutral for each pigtail.

Maybe this will help explain: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4a691froa6vc0ee/12 core.pdf?dl=0

Edited by ndutton

47 minutes ago, ndutton said:

No it is not grounded, I wanted the cable to be flexible but ground conductor is available to the circuit.

(I am also confused by your statement. Its a 12 conductor cable, there are 6 pigtails (so 6 hot), which means there are 6 conductors leftover.. 
Therefore theoretically, with a shared conductor for N and another shared for GND that creates 4 spares (though in my actual case 2 of those are being used for additional shared N and 2 for additional shared GND.

Maybe this will help explain: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4a691froa6vc0ee/12 core.pdf?dl=0

You did say all conductors are 16Ga

Current is Additive in a Neutral unless there is a corresponding identical  load on the other phase (120-n-120) like a US house is wired. 100W -N-100W  will result in near 0 neutral current for a 120/240 feed

Since a majority of us do not have (L)14 feeds (4wire, 120/240) to our LOR controllers you need a neutral conductor sized to handle ALL LOADS 100%  ( now see  you tripled up the the neutral, you now match the CTB Input cord (15A) 👍   The Green needs the same treatment. It in not until you get past 40A, are you allowed to run reduced sized ground (per NEC)

certainly..... but remember this is for a very specific application. I carry minimal load on each circuit even if I hadn't tripled up (aka nowhere near the theoretical limits). 

The reality of this is that, as you point out, this isn't the >100ft light load extension cord, with an indoor multi socket adapter plugged in it which I am sure most people do ;).   - It is a more weather proofed solution in which I calculated out the load potential for my application and as I said, its just an idea... people should use it only as inspiration and adapt it suitably for their scenario.

• The topic was locked