Light-O-Rama Forums

Another issue in S5

gsmith37064

@MattBrown

It you load your sequence and accidentally open it again, you cannot do anything inside of SE. It just beeps at you. In the taskbar you can see there is a popup but you cannot get to it to see what it says. It stays behind SE.

The only thing you can do is, is to launch the task manager and kill the LORsequencer (32bit) task.

I can reproduce this every time. Not sure if having a sequence loaded with the same name messes with it or not.

Edited by gsmith37064
  • Thanks 1

How are you opening it a second time?  When I try to do that, I get a popup that says "This files is already open in another tab.  You cannot have the same file open in two separate tabs."

Tried opening it both from within Sequencer and also double clicking on the file name in Windows File Manager (yea, I'm dating myself by calling it that).  Same result in either case.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

How are you opening it a second time?  When I try to do that, I get a popup that says "This files is already open in another tab.  You cannot have the same file open in two separate tabs."

Tried opening it both from within Sequencer and also double clicking on the file name in Windows File Manager (yea, I'm dating myself by calling it that).  Same result in either case.

I clicked on it again by mistake. The popup I get stays behind SE and I am not sure if it says anything. I cannot bring it to the foreground to see. All I can do is kill the task and reopen.

I can do it over and over again with the same result.

I would expect to get the same as you. Why mine does not come to the foreground is beyond me.

I think over the 4 years that I have been doing this, I have only reported 1 issue on S4. S5 is pretty much daily.

Edited by gsmith37064

Again, where are you clicking on it to try (accidentally) open it a second time, i.e. Windows, within SE (and if so which way of opening a file since there are several), or somewhere else?  No matter what I try, I can not get it duplicate your result.

Windows file manager. Same as you. I click the first file and it loads and if I click it again, it gives me the same results. More than happy to do a remote session so you can see.

I was finally able to duplicate your issue and have a resolution.  Let me guess, you have minimized Sequencer prior to bringing up File Manager (as opposed to opening the file manager in front of Sequencer).  I could duplicate your condition if I minimized Sequencer and then try to open the file a second time from the File Manager.  Looking at the Windows task bar, I could see that there were now two instances of something related to Sequencer.  The solution is to hover over the S5 in the task manager so it brings up a mini-preview of all windows.  Then click the red X in the upper right corner of the preview for the popup and that will kill the pop-up.  After doing so, Sequencer worked properly.

OK, full disclosure, I did this initially on my laptop which has 5.2.4.  However I remoted into the family room computer at home which is 5.3.14 and repeated the test.  The results were exactly the same (except that the task bar says SE rather than S5).

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

I was finally able to duplicate your issue and have a resolution.  Let me guess, you have minimized Sequencer prior to bringing up File Manager (as opposed to opening the file manager in front of Sequencer).  I could duplicate your condition if I minimized Sequencer and then try to open the file a second time from the File Manager.  Looking at the Windows task bar, I could see that there were now two instances of something related to Sequencer.  The solution is to hover over the S5 in the task manager so it brings up a mini-preview of all windows.  Then click the red X in the upper right corner of the preview for the popup and that will kill the pop-up.  After doing so, Sequencer worked properly.

OK, full disclosure, I did this initially on my laptop which has 5.2.4.  However I remoted into the family room computer at home which is 5.3.14 and repeated the test.  The results were exactly the same (except that the task bar says SE rather than S5).

No its not even open at first. I browse to the folder of my sequence and double click it to launch it. It loads and somehow I managed to click it again, so the 2nd one tries to load.

I am curious as to why the popup does not come to the foreground?? Either way... it's an issue.

11 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

No its not even open at first. I browse to the folder of my sequence and double click it to launch it. It loads and somehow I managed to click it again, so the 2nd one tries to load.

I am curious as to why the popup does not come to the foreground?? Either way... it's an issue.

Same result.  The first one opens the sequence and the second one results in the popup.  Close it the way I said in my previous post.  It is very likely a Windows issue and not a LOR controllable issue.

13 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Same result.  The first one opens the sequence and the second one results in the popup.  Close it the way I said in my previous post.  It is very likely a Windows issue and not a LOR controllable issue.

Not so sure on that. I have no issues with anything else on my PC. Plus with all the strange issues that have popped up after going to S5... I am not backing down on S5 from being the problem. I had no issues with S4. This is my 3rd go at S5 and honestly wished I would not have finished my sequence in it. I am now at a point do I want to scrap 3 weeks of works and roll back to S4... hmmmmm

20 minutes ago, Ghostssx said:

Try alt-TAB to switch focus to another window

Does not work.

I am done with SE for a while. I am just playing and creating props at this point till some of these issues get resolved.

1 minute ago, k6ccc said:

Nope - [ALT ]Tab won't do it.  Use the method I describe above.  Works every time.

I am done with it for a while.

For what it's worth, this issue is NOT unique to LOR Sequencer.  I just experienced the same thing in FireFox.  A web page brought up a login prompt popup, but another browser window was in front.  Took a moment to realize that it was the same issue.

20 hours ago, MattBrown said:

Thanks for the good discussion. This will be fixed in the next release.

Matt

This is good news. In S4 you could open the same file twice without any issues. Not often that I need to do this, but thanks again!!

Edited by gsmith37064

On 2/9/2020 at 12:26 PM, k6ccc said:

For what it's worth, this issue is NOT unique to LOR Sequencer.  I just experienced the same thing in FireFox.  A web page brought up a login prompt popup, but another browser window was in front.  Took a moment to realize that it was the same issue.

I don't think this is the same issue as the one you detected in Firefox. I cannot even exit out of the box today as It's in an endless loop.

https://youtu.be/84PfI3KkC70

Edited by gsmith37064